Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for help with the next IXFE boat design...

IXFE

10 hours ago, Josh4mc said:

The hole in the panel is one potential issue. Another is if you have a factory heater installed the heater tube that goes to the walk through sticks out a lot and the heater itself is mounted on the back wall. Both would have to be moved. 

I do have the heater, but the tubes in the Axis don't go to the walk through. They come out of the dash (silly design if you ask me). Sounds like I still would potentially need to move the heater, although the sub box that is there fits without issue (I have no idea what the specs are though). All in all, it sounds like it's not worth messing with. 

9 minutes ago, BlknYlwT22 said:

I do have the heater, but the tubes in the Axis don't go to the walk through. They come out of the dash (silly design if you ask me). Sounds like I still would potentially need to move the heater, although the sub box that is there fits without issue (I have no idea what the specs are though). All in all, it sounds like it's not worth messing with. 

If your current sub box is the factory "box" then all in all it's TOTALLY worth messing with.  Even if you pay someone $100 to build a custom box that fits, it's the best $100 upgrade you could possibly do to your stereo.

pull that panel and check the space behind. it wont hurt to look. and once you see how easy it is to get in there, chances are you'll take it a step further.

worst case is you make a new kick panel , and you will have a teplate from the old one, and HDPE or Plywood isn't very expensive.

FWIW, here's the sub platform that Murphy & I put in our 23's. I have Sketchup drawings if that will help you. The platform is Baltic Birch, the legs and feet are HDPE. I took out the footrest stops in the floor and secured the bottom of the footrest to the feet of the platform. The footrest is in it's original location.

We went to Partsexpress.com and ordered some DuraTex for sealing the platform and sub box instead of bedliner. I like the consistency of the spray version even though I roll it on. The Roll on is a heavier coat but the spray on after 3 coats is plenty.

IMG_7166.JPG

IMG_7169.JPG

IMG_7138.JPG

Before & After.

IMG_7165.JPG

IMG_7172.JPG

dumb Q -- what's the advantage of the platform for your box, Ronnie? You don't go "deeper" on your box with the platform do you (looks like max depth stlll constrained by hoses?  And it looks like you aren't going wider either (like IXFE did last year, going up then punching his box out to the starboard side of hull)?  Are you going to run something under the platform (like littlejon did, running heater hot tubes under his sub box)?

With the way to bow curves in under the platform and the side of the boat moves up and away, you end up with more room as you get up off the floor and on the platform. I like this out of any water that may come under the platform too. JIC...

• Like 2

@Ronnie - I love durtex .. great idea.  Also I like how you fired your sub inward (I think).  I like the clean look and my dealer swears this has a SQ improvement over firing directly at your feet.  I plan to do the same which allows the kickpanel to remain untouched. 

9 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

dumb Q -- what's the advantage of the platform for your box, Ronnie? You don't go "deeper" on your box with the platform do you (looks like max depth stlll constrained by hoses?  And it looks like you aren't going wider either (like IXFE did last year, going up then punching his box out to the starboard side of hull)?  Are you going to run something under the platform (like littlejon did, running heater hot tubes under his sub box)?

Also - you can have your subwoofer box stick out further into the drivers feet area and have it over hang the platform by an inch or two.  If you elevate the facade of the floor by an inch or so - you can still remove and reinstall your carpet.  That is how my first setup was in order to get a box that was just a hair north of two cubes.

33 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

@Ronnie - I love durtex .. great idea.  Also I like how you fired your sub inward (I think).  I like the clean look and my dealer swears this has a SQ improvement over firing directly at your feet.  I plan to do the same which allows the kickpanel to remain untouched. 

We are firing to the side of the boat, although I am not sure it cares which wall your firing at.

• Like 1
On 11/22/2015 at 2:56 PM, Afun said:

Oh God ^^^ your statement was boring too...Yawning

Snookie made the thread...before and after a 6 pack...don't know how that has happened

image_zps2rk3mjzg.jpeg

image_zpsysyg50zm.jpeg

I like fat snooky better ;)

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

We are firing to the side of the boat, although I am not sure it cares which wall your firing at.

I found that fireing to either side made the horn vent rattle much more, I took it apart and short of removing the white fabric that's in there it would rattle when the bass hit

Isn't there quite an upcharge for the sport knob? Is it possible to do the same modification without ordering the sport knob? In other words, what is there if you don't order it? I don't think I've seen one without it. 

1 hour ago, mrnate450r said:

Isn't there quite an upcharge for the sport knob? Is it possible to do the same modification without ordering the sport knob? In other words, what is there if you don't order it? I don't think I've seen one without it. 

I think its like $300 or something like that

@mrnate450r I almost skipped the sport knob entirely. I had visions of using the Exile Media Center all along but I wasn't sure how I'd make use of that big void in the dash. I suppose you could fabricate your own back plate and cover the hole with it (making use of the billet border pictures above). But alas, I ordered the knob and I think maintaining the plus sized cell phone holder is worth the upgrade. And the cool thing about this upgrade is I can restore to factory look in about 5 minutes. 

My limited experience with the sport knob was that it was slow. Slow in regards to the volume and mute functions. @IXFE, with the media center, are you able to power the stereo without having the whole helm on? 

2 hours ago, mrnate450r said:

My limited experience with the sport knob was that it was slow. Slow in regards to the volume and mute functions. @IXFE, with the media center, are you able to power the stereo without having the whole helm on? 

you should be able based on how you wire it, it essentialy has a toggle switch / remote power wired into it. 

5 hours ago, mrnate450r said:

Yes, I actually hated the knob last year for this very reason. I found it kinda frustrating as a master volume knob so I installed a ZLD and used that for volume, effectively bypassing the sport knob  

This year I have the media center wired as you describe. When I push the power button, it powers on the entire system. The boat does not have to be on. 

Edited by IXFE