Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for help with the next IXFE boat design...

IXFE

WBP gets a lot of thier pics from Mason (Upperleftwake).  he posts on Instagram regularly and they take from his posts fairly frequently.   It is scary how they propegate!  I have ended up on WBP by a Facebook friend saving my picture, posting on Instagram and then WBP grabs it from thier post. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Wait till you see what happens if you post a picture of your dog.

I'm cleaning up the mess from spitting water out... everywhere.

2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Wait till you see what happens if you post a picture of your dog.

Shawn your statement above detracts from who Boots truly is. Boots is more than just your dog. Boots represents the plight of everything a man should strive to be and more. 

86605FE0-B600-4EEA-ABA0-14802986333B_zps

Need i I say more.

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, Stevo said:

id buy a boots T-SHIRT, OR TOWEL

I think it's time for a Boots sticker... so he can ride shotgun in Malibu's across the world.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, ibelonginprison said:

I think it's time for a Boots sticker... so he can ride shotgun in Malibu's across the world.

Shawn were gonna need some high res pics to start, photoshop will do the rest

23 minutes ago, Stevo said:

Shawn were gonna need some high res pics to start, photoshop will do the rest

I texted him once and asked for those... I think he threw his phone in the yard.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

It was that video of him swimming that was so epic. It might be the only thing I've ever shown my wife from this site. 

Ha!  That's one of two things I've shown my wife.  Boots swimming was #1.  The second was the top ten list made after Afun almost got in a scrap at the boat ramp!

Okay, folks… we’re back on track! :)

The mods were kind enough to unlock this thread so long as we promise to behave.  So let’s keep it clean!  I'm serious guys… if this goes off track again the mods will close it permanently, and then what would poor IXFE do...??

I’ve been busy for the past week on the stereo build, and I have to admit it’s not quite a fun w/out being able to share the stoke with my TMC friends.  Documenting my steps is therapeutic in a way.  And I always learn a ton from your input. 

So welcome back!

The audio plan is as follows (everything is Exile):

• In-Boat: 4 SX80M (cabin) + 4 SX65M (walkthrough & bow) powered by XM15.4
  • Tower: 4 SXT9Q (aka “surf 9’s”) powered by 2 XM30.2’s
  • Sub: Xi 12 DVC powered by XM20.1

So here’s my amp rack.  I decided to use black carpet from Home Depot because I was too lazy to wait and order factory gray carpet.  Now that I’ve wrapped it I think it looks pretty sick, especially with the black amps mounted to it. 

Another shout out to Shawndoggy (aka 12v King) who taught me almost everything I know about boat stereo installation, including the hanger bolts and spacers you see for the amps. 

580977C5-F489-4E38-B923-9276F55CEC10_zps

0736C5B8-57B5-4390-8255-AA74C2B7F29F_zps

B7BAE6DE-8448-4828-8D88-7B5ACD399C40_zps

Edited by IXFE

Measuring under helm for the sub enclosure.  I’ve already ordered a pre-fab box this year as I just don’t have the time or patience to build a custom one like I did last year. 

Is it just me or this a lot shallower than I remember??

7C79AF16-3A3D-4624-8F2E-68A6E7005BE3_zps

Two years of ported subs has taught me that I'm more of an SQL guy, so back to sealed enclosure.  I'm also too lazy this year to build a custom sub box.  So I'm following the lead of Fman and Bunji and using the Q Bomb sealed enclosure (pictured here in Fman's boat).  

77155D1F-09C5-4A93-B637-E2D8E0C68CD6_zps

Edited by IXFE

Exile got some really nice new 12g speaker wire in.  After seeing it and feeling the weight there was no way I was going to use the factory wire.  So I rewired the entire boat with the new stuff.  Nobody will see it and probably won’t ever hear the difference, but I’ll know it’s there, and I figured it was something I’d never done before so why not?

112F8D8A-C1AF-415A-88F4-41CD716BDB65_zps

7BDD36AF-00B0-464D-917E-C64EAF8EF2AD_zps

This took me longer than I thought it would and, along with the RCA's, produced a pretty thick bundle of wires coming into the amp compartment beneath the glove box.  My wire management skills are definitely being tested!

Notice how Malibu changed the mounting blocks.  There used to be two long blocks completely carpeted over.  Now there are three shorter blocks and you can see where the carpet is slit so you can easily see where they are

ECD451EA-CA33-4497-B560-15A0CE0BFB67_zps

21 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Why the switch from xm9s? 

Good catch!  I don't have a good answer.  I guess I'm just jumping on the bandwagon.  To be honest, I'm kind of nervous about it.  I really love the XM9's and the crystal clear sound they emit.  I hope I'm not disappointed.  I guess if I am I can maybe switch?  I mean, the mounting posts and amps would be same in either case.  

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 2
11 hours ago, IXFE said:

Measuring under helm for the sub enclosure.  I’ve already ordered a pre-fab box this year as I just don’t have the time or patience to build a custom one like I did last year. 

Two years of ported subs has taught me that I'm more of an SQL guy, so back to sealed enclosure.  I'm also too lazy this year to build a custom sub box.  So I'm following the lead of Fman and Bunji and using the Q Bomb sealed enclosure (pictured here in Fman's boat).  

You may have to shave the rear starboard side corner of that box, I had too to avoid moving the kick panel forward 

13 hours ago, IXFE said:

Do you have a heater?  I have one and I can say that 9.5" is a deep as you can go without modifying the walkway tube or the box itself.  I will say that building a custom box is not the time/cost saving route.  It does feed the soul of the part time craftsman that really enjoys doing projects instead of sitting on the couch though....

Dave

14 hours ago, IXFE said:

Okay, folks… we’re back on track! :)

The mods were kind enough to unlock this thread so long as we promise to behave.  So let’s keep it clean!  I'm serious guys… if this goes off track again the mods will close it permanently, and then what would poor IXFE do...??

I’ve been busy for the past week on the stereo build, and I have to admit it’s not quite a fun w/out being able to share the stoke with my TMC friends.  Documenting my steps is therapeutic in a way.  And I always learn a ton from your input. 

So welcome back!

The audio plan is as follows (everything is Exile):

• In-Boat: 4 SX80M (cabin) + 4 SX65M (walkthrough & bow) powered by XM15.4
  • Tower: 4 SXT9Q (aka “surf 9’s”) powered by 2 XM30.2’s
  • Sub: Xi 12 DVC powered by XM20.1

So here’s my amp rack.  I decided to use black carpet from Home Depot because I was too lazy to wait and order factory gray carpet.  Now that I’ve wrapped it I think it looks pretty sick, especially with the black amps mounted to it. 

Another shout out to Shawndoggy (aka 12v King) who taught me almost everything I know about boat stereo installation, including the hanger bolts and spacers you see for the amps. 

580977C5-F489-4E38-B923-9276F55CEC10_zps

0736C5B8-57B5-4390-8255-AA74C2B7F29F_zps

B7BAE6DE-8448-4828-8D88-7B5ACD399C40_zps

That looks awesome, one mistake I made was not positioning the xm30's so I can easily reach the adjustments with a small driver.  I can't see the adjustment settings without a small mirror,  just something to keep in mind.  If I ever do another system I will push the xm30's as far forward as possible to make is easier to see the amp adjustments.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Fman said:

That looks awesome, one mistake I made was not positioning the xm30's so I can easily reach the adjustments with a small driver.  I can't see the adjustment settings without a small mirror,  just something to keep in mind.  If I ever do another system I will push the xm30's as far forward as possible to make is easier to see the amp adjustments.

That's why I kick mine at an angle. Not because I think it's fancy, but it makes it easier to get to all the adjustments and wire connections. 

• Like 2