Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Awesome pink 22 MXZ

bamabonners

Just my humble opinion...

The colors that are coming out today, including the metal flake are just not my style. I know some people think they are cool, but there will come a day when these colors will go out of style. I wouldn't want to be the guy selling that pink boat 5 to 10 years from now.

Maybe I'm just old school, but I prefer simple classic designs. I had a 1986 Century Cardel 22 (Basically a V-Drive Coronado), but sold it a few years ago, after growing tired of having 2 boats. I bought it because it was a classic, but also for the weekend cruises, as my Chain-O-Lakes is rough on the weekends and that thing plowed through chop like the Queen Mary. So, the Century was a classic and a real conversation piece. Wherever I took it, people would ask me about it...And that classic exhaust note from the 454 was also a real head turner. I sold it to my neighbor, so I still get to enjoy it, whenever I want.

When I bought my white & green 99 VLX in 2002, I had the dealer strip off all the decals, so it's clean and classic. Most avid inboard boaters probably know what it is, but a lot of other boaters ask me "what kind of boat is that" and they all think it's cool. I've wanted to upgrade to a newer Malibu, although I'll never buy new, as that's just my preference. I've had a hard time finding the right color and scheme for me because I want something that is classic & understated.

Again, maybe I'm just old school...

This is my 1992 Supra -We bought the deal, not the color. When we sold this boat 12 years after purchase in 1992 we only lost $800. The color didn't matter one little bit.

1104150855_zpstdphdtvo.jpg

1104150856c_zps9ldukcz2.jpg

I used to sell Supras in the mid-to-late 1980's...That looks like a Sunsport (or whatever they called that model by 1992). That was a great boat and still is...It had the same hull as the Comp TS6M, but with higher gunnels. I think they called those teal, pink, green & lavender color combos the "classic" series. I recall selling new Supra Comp TS6M's for around $18K all the way the way up to $23 to 24K for 23 foot Saltare' & Pirata models. Try finding a new 23 LSV for that price today! We overwhelmingly sold Comp TS6M's, some SunSports and a few Mariah's which was the 21 foot open bow model, pretty much in that order.

Yeah, teal was all the rage in the late 80's early 90's and while a lot of people liked these colors, in the showroom, a lot of people shied away from actually buying them for the reasons I'm talking about. I recall that we had a few "classic" colored Supras that had lot-rot, so we stopped ordering them and opted to stick with the basics. That said, you might have gotten a deal buying yours new. So, while you only lost $400 bucks, that's largely because the price of these boats doubled and they've since doubled again since the early 2000's. I'm in a similar situation with my Malibu VLX as it's price has more than doubled since I bought mine. I suspect I'll lose more than $400, but I won't know until I sell it.

I'm not criticizing peoples choice of colors or your old boat, but you'd have to admit that there are a fair number of buyers who simply won't consider a boat, simply due to the color. So, when styles and colors change over time, there is a resale factor to consider. In your case, you found the right buyer who didn't mind the color (might have even liked it) and they probably bought it because they saw that the boat well maintained and a decent price. If it was white & red or blue or black, there would likely have been more interested buyers, who might have even paid more, so you might have even made some money, instead of losing $400.

To each his own, buy what you like...For me, I like simple, classic colors. You want a pink metal flake boat, then buy it...It's a free country!

Edited by SkiBumPMC

skibum - it was called an impulse. We really loved that boat. it will make me consider looking at supra if I ever get the opportunity to upgrade to a new boat!

Takes a hard man to drive a soft boat....

Luckily I'm not a hard man. Just too much stigma with pink. Now if you stuffed a handful of tanned up beauties in that thing with matching nail polish and limited attire, I could hang out in it for the afternoon. And the next afternoon as well.

Teal, I've had two teal boats. Both were '95 vintage. I like teal, BRING IT BACK!!!!!

I actually like it but I'd be pretty nervous when it came time to sell.

That being said I really don't like red and I find it odd that I'd rather have a pink boat than a red one. Who wants to be like everyone else anyway? Curious to see how long this boat sits.