Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bad/Faulty Lanyard Switch identified in 2006 LSV

Still working out the bugs in this 2006 LSV....now at 76 hours, just FYI.

Took the parental units (in-laws included) out for their FIRST ever ride in the Malibu and also to see wakeboarding for the first time the other night. After a smooth first set and maybe an hour of running/pulling, I got a "Check Engine" notice on the dash display as well as an audible alarm (persistent beeping).

Two things came to mind immediately: 1) I just switched from 40 to 50 weight oil at Malibu's direction so the oil pressure may be venturing outside of spec limits; and 2) With all of the overheating issues we were having at hour 15-20 associated with the new saltwater options package, I figured it could also be an engine temp warning.

Checked ALL gauges and readings provided by the dash system, and everything checked out fine. Killed the engine and then did a visual of the engine and felt the risers for temp. Everything appeared normal. With my family onboard and a few miles from the launch, I decided to try and run her (limp) back to the dock. She started with a little more effort than usual (3-4 key turns vs. 1) and ran approximately 3,000 RPM just to cruise at 15-18 MPH. I backed off the throttle and idled back to the dock while keeping an eye on the gauges.

We got to the dock and got everyone off the boat, boat on the trailer and out of the water, and all ended as smoothly as I could have hoped for. When I tried to start the engine to flush it once home, it would not start. Turned over strongly, but no start.

Took it up the dealer the next day since it was just before the holiday weekend and I was hoping not to loose use of the brand new boat for another key summer weekend.

They hooked up the computer diagnostics to check the fault history and got a bunch of faults indicating that all of the fuel injectors were not operating properly. They called Indmar and traced it back to the relay/switch in the safety lanyard assembly (auto shutoff unit, not sure what the real name of this is) which is looped into the circuit that supplies power to the ignition and the dash computer.

I apologize for my lack of electrical engineering knowledge, but it sounded like this bad relay/switch was impeding the level/amount of volts needed to run the ignition and dash computer and b/c of the drop in volt levels, it caused both to malfunction.

The fix was a new lanyard assembly, made by a different manufacturer, which they conveniently had on the shelf in the shop, turns out another 2006 LSV had the same problem with different symptoms within a day or so of mine.

Sorry for the rant, but this is information I wish Malibu would post somewhere so that at least the dealers (service departments) and Indmar could see patterns developing. The tech told me that Malibu has an on-line system but it takes too long for them to enter it, and they are to busy to make time to do this. What a shame, is this type of national d-base would be an incredibly powerful (and cost-saving) tool.

Hope this helps, happy to try and answer any questions....sorry for the length!! I have tried to capture everything that the tech guy conveyed and hope I did not misrepresent anything, please check with your dealer as always on this kind of thing.

Tracie- I may need my own topic forum soon for 2006 LSV (w/ Saltwater Options Package) Mechanical Issues.

G-Pac

I've got to say the lanyards on these boats are absolute garbage. Mine caused me considerable embarrasment at the ramp and difficulty on several occasions. This is a all too common problem for what should be the single most simple switch on the entire boat. Get with it, Malibu.

Sorry to hear about all your troubles, G-Pac.

one more reason to by-pass the lanyard! I've got mine bypassed because I was tired of the lanyard cable bouncing against my knee. The lanyard is a 4 pole switch, 2 poles make the connection when the lanyard is connected, the other 2 poles make the connection when the lanyard is removed. Swap the wires from one set of poles to the other. Done.

Disclaimer: Do this at your own risk. I cant be held responsible, for anything. Dont do drugs. Ect......

That does bring to mind the need for such a safety item.

Does anyone know of a situation where the lanyard switch has helped?

I mean in a 20 ft or so vessel with decent freeboard.

Does anyone know of a situation where the lanyard of a ski/wake boat was actually connected to the driver?