Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vinyl Skins

This post is very similar to the one I posted over at WSR...sorry for the redundancy for those that visit there too.

We received the box of new vinyl skins for our ol' 'Bu from Chee at Malibu Rockon.gif

I want to add to the WSR post by saying that Ellery Sanchez (formerly Cardoso) at Malibu Customer Service is the greatest! She was a whole lot of help dealing with my many questions and overall analness. And I can not say enough about Chee who actually did the vinyl work. I do not have it all installed yet, but from what I can see, and I have only peeked at the contents of the box, I must say it looks like some quality work here. And in only a few weeks turnaround

Does anyone have any suggestions, tips, tricks for actually removing the old vinyl and installing the new vinyl? It seems pretty straight forward but I am sure someone out there has done this before and might have some insight on my upcoming weekend project.

I pulled the old vinyl off the driver's seat to get a hint of what I am in for. There is plastic between the vinyl and foam. Do all the parts have this plastic or just seats? I am thinking about replacing the plastic but am not sure if I should use something a little heaver (the original is pretty thin).

Any insight will be much appreciated. I do not want this to take more than this coming weekend, but will consider having a pro do it if it seems overwhelming for a weekend warrior.

Mike.

TeamLombo, How did you get ahold of Ellery? I sent her and email over a week ago to [email protected] and I have not heard back. I included my hull id and my phone number so she could pass it along the Chee.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your skins? I only need my 2 back seats on my 98 VLX.

TeamLombo, How did you get ahold of Ellery? I sent her and email over a week ago to [email protected] and I have not heard back. I included my hull id and my phone number so she could pass it along the Chee.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your skins? I only need my 2 back seats on my 98 VLX.

The plan is closed this week. End of model year.

I purchased a set of skins a few months ago, haven't installed them yet. Ellery will pass the information on to Chee but it will take him a few weeks before he will call you. First time Chee called it was after his normal work time (6 or 7 pm pacific which was 8 or 9pm central).

I purchased a pnuematic staple gun. I will be replacing all the plywood (most is rotted) with HDPE plastic material that Malibu started useing in the 1993 and up models. Must have air stapler to drive the staples into the plastic material.

Jim

Chee is the best!! I got my skins for my 98 Flightcraft and had them installed at a local place. People can't belive that the boat isn't brand new, let alone 8 years old.

Chee got ahold of me about a week ago and I promptly mailed him a check for my two back seats. He said it would be at least a week from when he receives the check. I can't wait for them to get here. My port side back seat is splitting pretty bad at the seam from people stepping in and out. The starboard side hasn't ripped open yet, but it is close. I'm going to wait until it gets bad to install the new skin.

I'll post some before and after pics when they come in. Does anyone else have any pics?

I have pics but I cant seem to post them as they are to large.

If any one can resize them I will email before and after pics.

Shawn

Edited by danadog

So what's the going cost for the new skins? I need 3 new ones and I didn't like the price I was quoted from a local dealer.

JV

So what's the going cost for the new skins? I need 3 new ones and I didn't like the price I was quoted from a local dealer.

JV

What your dealer quoted you is the price. :( I got a call back from the factory and was told all boats needing new vinyl that are within 7 years of the current model year must be purchased through the dealer. Chee was only doing vinyl for boats on the side that were outside this window.

• 2 weeks later...

My skins came in a few days ago. They look great! The color actually matches better than I thought considering my boat is 8 years old. I pick the seat up from the upholstery shop tomorrow.

Did you install them yourself???? Or did you have someone else do it. Would you recommend doing it yourself or taking it to someone.

Did you do your carpet too?

I had an ole timer in town install them for $200.

the carpet is the original just steam cleaned it.

If I had an air stapler I would have did the job on my own.

Did you install them yourself???? Or did you have someone else do it. Would you recommend doing it yourself or taking it to someone.

Did you do your carpet too?

Installing the skins yourself isn't all that difficult if you've got an air stapler or even an electric stapler. I have actually taken 3 skins off that have torn along the bead, and actually sewn them back together, and then reattached them back to the seat. It was a lot easier than I was expecting, but definately more time consuming than I expected. But, for the $200 that danadog quoted above, I'd do it again.

JV