Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...

Orange&MaliBlue

some people; sheesh.

My lake house sits on a little cove, with a small community beach area and a dock. A few months ago, some idiot apparently decided to "dredge" out the weeds and stuff out of the cove. He took an old mattress box spring, attached a few cinder blocks to it, and pulled it around the cove behind his boat. Well, of course the rope broke and instead of retrieving it, he just left it there. "It probably won't hurt anything, right?".

Well, guess who found it this weekend? My prop found the broken rope, and before I knew it I had an old nasty mattress box spring all wrapped up in my prop, rudder, wedge etc. It took me two days to get my boat untangled from all the springs, coils, wire, rope, cinder blocks, etc. My hands and feet are all cut up, I spent two hundred dollars on various hacksaws, bolt cutters and snips, and I almost drowned from going under the boat and getting myself wrapped up in the springs. Oh yeah - a gator also came by to check out why I was swimming around under my boat for 4 hours trying to undo this mess.

I finally got it off, and it looks like my prop only suffered minor dings, and there appears to be no damage to the hull/rudder/struts. Luckily, at the time this happened, I was only idling out of the cove.

I was so happy to have the mattress finally off, with what appreared to be minor damage. I got my people in the boat for a ride to make sure there was nothing bent/vibrating etc. and everything worked perfect. We had a great day on the boat - wakeboarding, surfing and tubing. However.... On the way home to put the boat up, I must've sucked up some trash and burnt the impeller.

Oh yeah - a gator also came by to check out why I was swimming around under my boat for 4 hours trying to undo this mess.

Shocking.gif I would have just tied the boat up to the dock and bought a new one.

After you got it cut loose did ya just drop it back in the lake? ;)

I tied a rope to it and the dock, marked it off and will insist that the guy responsible remove it. I found out who this is, and will speak to him in the next day or two. I figured I did the hard part in removing it from my boat, now he can do the rest by removing it from the lake and properly disposing of it.

Am I off base here?

I tied a rope to it and the dock, marked it off and will insist that the guy responsible remove it. I found out who this is, and will speak to him in the next day or two. I figured I did the hard part in removing it from my boat, now he can do the rest by removing it from the lake and properly disposing of it.

Am I off base here?

If you know who did it, it sounds to me like he owes you a new prop also!

Am I off base here?

You could always call your local conversation department and tell them you saw him dumping trash directly into the lake...

You're not off base, last time I checked it was illegal to litter or dump trash into public water ways. You get what, 12 miles off shore then it's another story.

Am I off base here?

I would just pull it out and use it to dredge his front lawn a bit! Biggrin.gif

Wait until it gets dark and take the rope that is tied to it and wrap it around his prop shaft. When he tries to go, he will feel your pain.

I feel your pain Orange&MaliBlue -

Tonight, after a horrible week with work, I am driving the boat to the lauch ramp where my wife and 7 month old son are waiting. I am behind a bass boat (a couple hundred yards back) and all of a sudded I notice he makes a hard u-turn, and as I watched him turn, all of a sudded I hear thump, thump, grrrrrr. It sounded like I hit a rock or tree. The propellor would not engage and there was a screaching noise. Now I know I am in trouble. So this bass boat doubles back to the approximate location where I hit this unknow item. I am waving and calling to have him help me out. He finally comes over and I asked him if he hit something too, he replies by saying "nope, my fishing net flew out". Well, I now knew what was stuck underneath my boat. I told him not to go anywhere and tie up to help me verify. After a quick swim under the boat, not only was just the netting wrapped in the prop, but the aluminum handle was also wrapped. We got most of it off under the water, but could not get one chunk of aluminum off. Bass Fisher Man Guy had to end up towing me to the ramp. After we put her on the trailer it appeared that I did not sustain any damage to the shaft but the prop was nicely dung. I was lucky because the guy was a nice guy who actually felt bad about it, but dang it, why me? He gave me his info so he could pay for any damage, which was cool, but we'll see if he ponies up for anything. Moral of the story, never follow a Bass Boat even if you are at a safe distance behind.

To top it off, we found out that someone has created some bogus checks with our account number on them and now our bank account has $4500 less dollars.

After a day like this I can't sleep so I am cruising this website at 1:30 am tyring getting rid of my stress. Thanks, I feel a little better.

Am I off base here?

You could always call your local conversation department and tell them you saw him dumping trash directly into the lake...

You're not off base, last time I checked it was illegal to litter or dump trash into public water ways. You get what, 12 miles off shore then it's another story.

Not sure what the coversation department could do about a mattress in a lake, but I'm sure they'd love to talk to you about it. ;)

Colby

conversation department

coversation department

The only thing worse than poor semantics is misspelling the word to make a joke of it. RTFM.gif

;)

conversation department

coversation department

The only thing worse than poor semantics is misspelling the word to make a joke of it. RTFM.gif

;)

DOH!!!!!

Tonight, after a horrible week with work, I am driving the boat to the lauch ramp where my wife and 7 month old son are waiting. I am behind a bass boat (a couple hundred yards back) and all of a sudded I notice he makes a hard u-turn, and as I watched him turn, all of a sudded I hear thump, thump, grrrrrr. It sounded like I hit a rock or tree. The propellor would not engage and there was a screaching noise. Now I know I am in trouble. So this bass boat doubles back to the approximate location where I hit this unknow item. I am waving and calling to have him help me out. He finally comes over and I asked him if he hit something too, he replies by saying "nope, my fishing net flew out". Well, I now knew what was stuck underneath my boat. I told him not to go anywhere and tie up to help me verify. After a quick swim under the boat, not only was just the netting wrapped in the prop, but the aluminum handle was also wrapped. We got most of it off under the water, but could not get one chunk of aluminum off. Bass Fisher Man Guy had to end up towing me to the ramp. After we put her on the trailer it appeared that I did not sustain any damage to the shaft but the prop was nicely dung. I was lucky because the guy was a nice guy who actually felt bad about it, but dang it, why me? He gave me his info so he could pay for any damage, which was cool, but we'll see if he ponies up for anything. Moral of the story, never follow a Bass Boat even if you are at a safe distance behind.

To top it off, we found out that someone has created some bogus checks with our account number on them and now our bank account has $4500 less dollars.

After a day like this I can't sleep so I am cruising this website at 1:30 am tyring getting rid of my stress. Thanks, I feel a little better.

Damn Rob - That sux to hear, I am glad you only have a ding in the prop it could have been worse based on what happened. The upside is even if he flakes I am quite sure you'll win with the bank and get your loot back.

Days like that, the only stress reliever is knowing that you and your crew are all safe. That's enough for me to release the stress and remember all these are all just toys and the crew is all that matters.

Wow talk about a crappy day! Sucks when you're looking forward to a Monday!

I feel your pain bro... I'm sure the bank will make it right.