Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

water pump drip

Hi guys, recently My family purchased a 2000 Response LX. We love it, but i've noticed my bilge pump coming on more often. It seems the water is coming from the water pump & slows down after the engine is warm. Is this normal? Should I replace the pump? Is it just a Chevy pump or a special Malibu part?

Thanks,

Doug

its probably the weep hole saying the bearing is bad. just replace it, its not a chevy, i think it is a johnson, bicbw

Response LX,

The engine cooling water pump is a GM part, GM #12458926

The fresh water intake pump is a Johnson.

Hope this will help you... :)

PS. Check your shaft packing nut too.

Edited by BarefootOz

For clarification you have a water pump that has an internal rubber impeller. This pump pulls water from the lake and is located on the very front of the motor. You also have what many marine people call a circulating pump (or water pump for car people). This is attached to the front upper part of the motor and has a metal impeller that is not replaceable (easily).

It is very common for the bushing to start leaking around the pully shaft. They are easy to replace, usually only 4 bolts and a hose or two.

Here is one on ebay for $59 shipped. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-Marine-3...1QQcmdZViewItem

You'll want to replace that pump and the T-stat sooner than later. When the water is flying around, it gets on the belt and can cause the belt to slip.

You'll want to replace that pump and the T-stat sooner than later. When the water is flying around, it gets on the belt and can cause the belt to slip.

Do I need to get a marine pump? Is that what that GM part # is? Also is the thermostat a GM piece? 160 degree?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm a newbie & i'm waiting for my Manual

I always apprecitate other people trying to save me a buck and linking places that are selling the parts but, for something like this, I go straight to the dealer and only buy Indmar specific parts. I don't care if it costs a couple bucks more.

After you get your pump and thermostat out, take them done to your local auto parts store and see if they can match them up with what they have there. Chances are they will be able to. I have done this in the past and it was a lot cheaper than going to a dealer.

Do I need to get a marine pump? Is that what that GM part # is? Also is the thermostat a GM piece? 160 degree?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm a newbie & i'm waiting for my Manual

If you want marine grade (don't know if it really maters...) use a Quicksilver #850399 1. You can probably get a rebuilt for about half the price.