Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
mtnbkr738

Change Impeller Every Year?

mtnbkr738

Hey Everyone.

I have a 98 Sunsetter.

Put about 50 hours on it this summer.

We are on a very clean lake.

Should I replace the impeller EVERY year? or is it based on hours??

I replaced it 50 hrs ago.

I do replace plugs, and oil every fall... just didnt know about the impeller.

Any help is appreciated!

Ndawg12

I just carry a spare and the tools to do it on the water. Never had to change one yet because of wear or failure in 600 hours of boating and I run the regular black Johnson 812.

RTS

Change it now and if the old one is in good shape keep it for a spare. Then maybe change it every couple years.

socalsarge

I just carry a spare and the tools to do it on the water. Never had to change one yet because of wear or failure in 600 hours of boating and I run the regular black Johnson 812.

Ndawg12 - Do you remove yours every year during winter storage? That's an awful long time for an impeller.

RTS

Over 10 years I changed mine 5-6 times. Everytime I pulled it out, they looked fine. When I sold the boat, I gave the guy a plastic bag full of impellers.

Ndawg12

Ndawg12 - Do you remove yours every year during winter storage? That's an awful long time for an impeller.

Well about 300 hours on 2 different boats. I do not pull it over the winter.

obski

I change mine every 2-3 years, never pulled one yet that looked like it needed to be replaced.

:plus1:

robbennett

Make sure it still has all of its vanes. If they are all there I wouldn't bother doing it yet.

Bill_AirJunky

I do mine every other year.... and carry a spare.

Wakesetter67

I did mine after 120 HR probably over kill but it was cheap and easy to do! I normally do it in Spring one a year,

Fman

Every year change here, imo it's cheap insurance. I believe indmar says every two years or 100 hours.

wakedncsu

I'm with Bill. I change mine every other year no matter what it looks like and carry a spare. My dad, when I was a kid, would run them out till they failed. We consistently got 4 or 5 years on an impeller. I feel very safe at every other year.

jaciche

:plus1: for every other year, and we usually go to a weedy lake

dalt1

I change mine every 2-3 years, never pulled one yet that looked like it needed to be replaced.

I pulled 1 after 1 year and about 110 hrs, missing 1 vain. Change mine every year. 1 damaged out of 10 years.

dlb

I used to think they lasted a while and wondered why I changed it every spring. After 3 in season failures, one 2 weeks after another, I wonder no longer.

oldjeep

I used to think they lasted a while and wondered why I changed it every spring. After 3 in season failures, one 2 weeks after another, I wonder no longer.

Curious why you have so many failures. Do you dry start or run on a fake a lake?

robbennett

Curious why you have so many failures. Do you dry start or run on a fake a lake?

I'm curious too. Non name brand impeller maybe? Installing with the vanes going the wrong way?

RTS

Certainly not the norm...How many hours a year do you log? Are you buying name brand impellers?

CoMtnBu

I pull mine every winter for storage, replace as needed, carry the old one, as a spare.

The one i replaced this spring was 4+ years old, not as pliable as the new one, but plenty of life left.

We've had one failure in 15+ years with the boat, had a spare quick fix. Just my opinion, but replacing wearable parts before they are worn isn't cheap insurance, it's stupid. Would you replace your brake pads with half of their life left?

Bill_AirJunky

Do you beach your boat?

Fman

I pull mine every winter for storage, replace as needed, carry the old one, as a spare.

The one i replaced this spring was 4+ years old, not as pliable as the new one, but plenty of life left.

We've had one failure in 15+ years with the boat, had a spare quick fix. Just my opinion, but replacing wearable parts before they are worn isn't cheap insurance, it's stupid. Would you replace your brake pads with half of their life left?

How many hours do you put a year on your boat? I did 115 hours this year, so the 100 recommended by Indmar is well within the scope of replacing every year. I have had some years we only put 60 on the boat, and I still replace it every spring. It is a $35 part that takes 10 minutes to install, and will leave you stranded if it decides to implode. Brake pads give you ample warning they are nearing the end of there life span, not a good comparison between the two.

Edited by Fman

oldjeep

How many hours do you put a year on your boat? I did 115 hours this year, so the 100 recommended by Indmar is well within the scope of replacing every year. I have had some years we only put 60 on the boat, and I still replace it every spring. It is a $35 part that takes 10 minutes to install, and will leave you stranded if it decides to implode. Brake pads give you ample warning they are nearing the end of there life span, not a good comparison between the two.

Fwiw the indmar manual says to inspect at 100hours, inspect at 300hours/1 year and replace every 2 years. Although I don't inspect, if I bother pulling it out I replace it.

dlb

Do you beach your boat?

Never.

Rednucleus

Or - you can try the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" - but personal experience taught me this does not apply to an impeller! This was pushing 300 hr on detonation.

CuttersCar028.jpg

Edited by Rednucleus