Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Calibrating 2006 speed control speedometer...

Got pas the 7h break-in this weekend, which meant I could go WOT, so I borrowed a GPS and decided I was going to check the calibartion on the speedometer. I doubted it was inaccurate when I tried lifting a foot at 41MPH... :Doh: It wasn't bad under 30MPH, put passed that the error was exponential. At WOT it showed 51.5MPH when on the GPS 43.5. I tried a whole bunch of combinations (adjusting it at 15mph, 30mph, 36mph, 40mph and WOT) but could never go accurate thru my barefooting speed range (30mph-41mph). The best I got is by adjusting it 1 mph faster at 41mph with the following results:

GPS Ground Speed / Digital Dash Display

41mph / 42mph

36mph / 36mph

30mph / 29mph

Has anyone done better? I find it odd not to be able to adjust it right (unless I am not doing this properly) on a 2006 boat when on mt buddy's 2001 Sportster (with the 2001 factory calibration) it is right on at +/- 0.5mph from 10mph - WOT.

Does anyone know the best way to calibrate these things? Does anyone have an accurate reading at all speeds on a 2006 speed control? Help.gif

Your buddy's Sportster is pre-paddlewheel. I calibrate my speedo to 34 MPH and deal with upper and lower inaccuracies. In the lower 20s I'm actually going slower than the speedo says, in the mid-upper 40s I'm actually going faster than the speedo says.

Get it as close as you can and then learn what the speedo needs to read for what you want to do.

It's funny though, as years go buy the instrumentation is more and more precis, for example % of fuel left in tank at 1% intervals, speed at .1 mph intervals, but less and less accurate... :Doh:

for example % of fuel left in tank at 1% intervals, . . . but less and less accurate... :Doh:

Good thing Tommy isn't here. . . RTFM.gif

:lol:

for example % of fuel left in tank at 1% intervals, . . . but less and less accurate... :Doh:

Good thing Tommy isn't here. . . RTFM.gif

:lol:

Please explain??? Dontknow.gif

Just that Tommy had a penchant for flaming the inaccuracy of the fuel gauge. Actually, a penchant that most of us share, just that we exhibit our disgust to varying degrees.

Please tell me that you have heard of THE rutat®?

Just that Tommy had a penchant for flaming the inaccuracy of the fuel gauge. Actually, a penchant that most of us share, just that we exhibit our disgust to varying degrees.

Please tell me that you have heard of THE rutat®?

Don't think so?? Dontknow.gif

Partytime.gif

Apparently, some of the old folks haven't tuned into this tread. I'm sure they'd have something enlightening to add. . .