Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

back seat keeps slipping into hole

smedman

the ledge that the center back seat rests on is too skinny -- anytime anyone new comes on the boat, they inevitably step in one of the back corners of the seat, causing it to slip off the ledge and their foot goes down into the gas tank area. Mad.gif (my wife and i have also learned the hard way, but now avoid the back corners of the seat) :)

i've been thinking of drilling into the little ledge and adding something to help support the seat better. not sure what the ledge is made of... metal? fiberglass? (it is under the carpet so I can't tell, but it seems like some type of metal)

1. anyone know what the material is that the seats rest on? (the stuff covered with carpet)

2. anyone have the same problem and have any mod ideas?

thanks!

From what I remember, this has been a fairly common topic with the v-rides. I believe that Malibu has a fix for this problem (why they don't incorporate it at the factory I don't know), so you should be able to contact your dealer and get it fixed properly.

You are preachin' to the choir my friend!! ROFL.gif

Sorry, it's not really funny....I did have the same problem. My dealer added some kind of aluminum bracing

across the bottom of the seat which seems to have pretty much cleared up the issue for me. When I mentioned the problem the dealer answered right away that he was familiar with it and had the brace. I guess it is common with the vRide? I haven't heard of any new VLX or other Malibu model owners mentioning this. I know another vRide owner that frequents this site, BuggsIsland, had the same issue with his 06 Vride because we talked about it a while back. Give your dealer a call. It is a very annoying thing...everyone on my boat (including me) kept forgetting and stepping in those corners and caving the seat in. Mad.gif

What gets me is this particular model is not new to Malibu. This design has been around for years. Did this not happen with all of those earlier boats?

Tim

the ledge that the center back seat rests on is too skinny -- anytime anyone new comes on the boat, they inevitably step in one of the back corners of the seat, causing it to slip off the ledge and their foot goes down into the gas tank area. Mad.gif (my wife and i have also learned the hard way, but now avoid the back corners of the seat) :)

i've been thinking of drilling into the little ledge and adding something to help support the seat better. not sure what the ledge is made of... metal? fiberglass? (it is under the carpet so I can't tell, but it seems like some type of metal)

1. anyone know what the material is that the seats rest on? (the stuff covered with carpet)

2. anyone have the same problem and have any mod ideas?

thanks!

What gets me is this particular model is not new to Malibu. This design has been around for years. Did this not happen with all of those earlier boats?

I have a 2005 vRide and have not experienced this problem yet. Knocking on wood...

I have not had this problem.

none of the seats move, they seem to be pretty snug when all the cusions are in place.

edit: that ledge, across the back, is alum.

Edited by mikea

my friend has an 06 v-ride with the same problem.. the stealership said bring it in and the will get it fixed

Mine was missing the third small plastic block to the back side of the seat that keeps the seat from moving. Since the dealer put the block in, it keeps the seat from moving! Now If I could only locate the small squeek in the dash on rough water days I would be in the good. The seat that still does this to me sometimes is the corner seat that covers the cooler. That seat still tends to buckle under when any of my wakesurfing buddies (weights) as I call them get in and have never gotten in on that side. My dock is two bays wide and I have the boat lift mounted on that side so whenever anyone gets into the boat that is the seat that gets the most traffic. I will be installing a small bracket to make this stop this weekend, along with drilling a new hole for the self draining cooler. My 18 month old pulled the copper tube out and the hole was drilled so tight I cannot get it back in so I have to drill the hole a tat bigger so the tube will be flush with the boitoom of the cooler. With the tube out, all of the water drains into the main floor instead of the engine compartment. Couple of small things to finish up and the boat will be perfect. Good luck on the seat problem, I know it;s frustrating.

That could probably be fixed by adding some material to the base.

Where we have the issue with our '01 is the bow filler cushion. That thing NEVER stays in place. It hurts when you fall through it too. Cry.gif

we had seat falling thru problem with our '06 vride...i attached a peice of pressure treated wood to prevent it from continuing, but, now that i know this is a common problem, i will be calling my dealer later today.

my friend has an 06 v-ride with the same problem.. the stealership said bring it in and the will get it fixed

Tongue.gif

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone - thanks for the comments. i also talked to my dealer CTWS here in austin and they said all i need to do is unscrew the plastic support on the bottom of the seat on the side it is slipping, and move it out a bit so that it forces the seat to sit more on the little ledge. no need to add more support or drill into the aluminum.

so , i got out the ol' trusty sears wireless drill and adjusted the plastic piece today. just unscrewed the two screws, moved it forward about 1/2 inch, and screwed it back in. very easy! i can now step on the seat to my heart's content.