Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me to not kill my son's cat.

My son has a cat that I have a hate/hate relationship with. He loves his cat, so I tolerate her. Anyway, recently the cat has decided that the best place to sleep and shed is on my black boat cover. I cleaned the boat up nice after a full day on the lake yesterday, and went out this morning to enough cat hair stuck to the cover to make a blanket. My idea was to spread tiny treble hooks over the cover, but my wife thought that was kind of mean. So HELP!!! Does anybody have any ideas that will keep the cat off my boat without harming the critter? I thought I might cover it with tin foil, but that would be a lot of tin foil, and I don't know if it would work. Does anybody have any ideas? Please?

Randy Guns.gif

I meant for this to be in the Appearance forum, but I missed.

Edited by Peacock

Maybe a little bit of the spray you can get to keep cats out of your garden. I'm not sure if those sprays really smell bad to humans, but you could test it in the store. I'd be better/cheaper than $50K in therapy for your kid if he sees his cat come running in the house with treble hooks hanging all over him.

More bad news...cats live a long time :(

I checked with the wife, and she said Cheyenne pepper.

just sprinkle it on.

I would guess it would blow off while towing so you will have to re-apply

(you may even try just putting an open bowl of it on the back of the boat.)

mikea

(ohh, if I only had a house made from Cheyenne pepper...)

it is ONLY a cat, you can win this battle.

you have a job, you work, you cut the lawn, you take out the kitty litter.

you are soooo much above a cat!

hmmm?

the cat lay's around all day doing NOTHING

and you have a job and you work hard at it !

and you clean up the cat's crap!

maybe you should buy a cover the same color as the cat.

I had the exact same problem with my car, which I keep covered outside, as well as my boat which sits covered on a lift.

I had a very long drawn out war with the neighborhood cats over my car. I tried the sprays and the pepper, and they did not work at all. They last maybe one night. The only thing that kinda worked was a ScatMat. It's a battery powered pad that emits a static shock when you touch it. It stings!! The only downside is that they tend to wear out from being outdoors and you have to buy a new one about once a year or so, and they aren't cheap. The cats scream whenever they touch it, and then they rarely return. :lol:

One of the more stubborn cats just couldn't be beat. He clawed my car cover to shreds and left muddy paw prints all over my hood But the fact that he was left outdoors by his owner meant it was just a matter of time. He got hit by a car on the street (no, not me!) and that was the end of my problem Yahoo.gif

As for my boat, when I first got it it was a hammock for every dang cat in the neighborhood. I let my dog (she's a Chow Chow, notorious for their hatred of cats) run on the dock and the cats jumped off the boat and had no where to go. They couldn't get past my dog. Two of 'em fell in the water hissing and growling as my dog chased them off the end of the pier!! They were soaked to the skin and had to swim to shore as my dog followed them down the dock and they ran away in shame. Never had a problem with my boat since. Tongue.gif

So, in summary:

1. Place a Scat Mat on the spot where they sleep

2. Don't discourage speeding teenagers in your neighborhood

3. Get a mean dog that hates cats as much as you do.

Edited by jpk

6 or so moth balls in a sealed style sandwich bag, poke a few holes in it and place on the cover. Clean, safe, and it works.

I grew up with my Mom running a non profit cat foundation. We always had 30-60 cats around. I love them but... lets just say I have already had a lifes worth of cats in my life. They do not act out of malice yat they can be inadvertently destructive and annoying. The moth ball trick really works well. I used to set one on the bed part, and one on the windshiled of my truck cover. Cats never came back. Also, the moth balls work for planters, etc... Good luck! KC

My son has a cat that I have a hate/hate relationship with. He loves his cat, so I tolerate her. Anyway, recently the cat has decided that the best place to sleep and shed is on my black boat cover. I cleaned the boat up nice after a full day on the lake yesterday, and went out this morning to enough cat hair stuck to the cover to make a blanket. My idea was to spread tiny treble hooks over the cover, but my wife thought that was kind of mean. So HELP!!! Does anybody have any ideas that will keep the cat off my boat without harming the critter? I thought I might cover it with tin foil, but that would be a lot of tin foil, and I don't know if it would work. Does anybody have any ideas? Please?

Randy Guns.gif

I meant for this to be in the Appearance forum, but I missed.

Moved it for you.

Great info gang! I think the mothball idea will be the first try, since it is cheap! Thanks....I'll let you know how it works.

Randy

P.S. I would never intentionally harm a pet, the title was meant tounge in cheek so to speak...

Great info gang! I think the mothball idea will be the first try, since it is cheap! Thanks....I'll let you know how it works.

Randy

P.S. I would never intentionally harm a pet, the title was meant tounge in cheek so to speak...

Oh right. We believe you.

The cat ran away son, I'm sorry................ well get you a dog.

... a small one that can't jump high enough to jump on the boat...

Shotgun...The kid will get over it.

Best answer in this thread! :)

That or have the kid train the cat to stay off the boat cover. If that doesn't work, go with the 12 gauge.