Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
barefootboy

Rough idle help

barefootboy

Have a carb by the way. Cold end(brand new motor by the way) idles fine but when gets hot has a very erratic idle. Any ideas? It was doing this before new motor was installed. Thanks

justgary

Same carb? It might have crud in the idle jets. When was it last rebuilt?

barefootboy

It is the same carb. I bought boat 2 years ago and not sure when the carb was last looked at. Strange that it only does it when motor is hot

williemon

How cold is cold? From first start the choke will be in play. After it warms up the choke should release. Maybe the choke does not release as it should. Maybe you get A lean condition after it's run some due to not getting enough fresh fuel in the float bowl. Maybe the fuel is pushed too hard by the fuel pump and it leaks past the float needle and starts to flood the bowl. Just some thoughts

barefootboy

Good thoughts. The mechanic leaned the idle screws a half a turn but it was actually doing it with the old motor. I told him to go thru the carb before I got the boat back but who knows

ibelonginprison

Carb tuning would be where I would start since it's the easiest to tinker with.

Could be a fuel flow issue as well if you have a fuel rail/line that's routed differently and getting hot and is starting to vaporize. ?

barefootboy

makes sense. Will check that out. Thanks

justgary

If you don't want to pull the carb and check the bowls, try letting the engine idle, then quickly choking it (completely) with your hand over the air horn. This will cause the engine vacuum to pull any loose crud or water drops through the jets. Maybe it will work for you.

It will scare you the first time you do it since it will feel like it wants to eat your hand. Don't let it eat your hand.

jtryon

It will scare you the first time you do it since it will feel like it wants to eat your hand. Don't let it eat your hand.

:lol:

Arick

Check the coil?

barefootboy

Have not checked coil. Thanks

Arick

Have not checked coil. Thanks

I should have added more feedback. I found that my coil after the boat got warm, it would cause the boat to surge. It did have some issues sometimes at idle. It was just intermittent because it was failing. I'm not suggesting you throw money at the problem, but a its a $30 part.