Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

clear bra

hey everyone

Now that I have just recieved my new 60,000 boat it began to occur to me that midnight blue on the hull and above the rub rail was a bad idea. I still love the look of it but was wondering about putting clearbra on the hull and on the surface obove the rub rail. I called my local clearbra dealer and he explained that they do trailers and transom gguards all the time but has never been asked to clearbra above the rub rail. he also stated the on the hull it doesnt hold up as wll because of the abuse in the area from beaching.. I explained that I ALWAYS anchor off and try to never beach the boat.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever had any experience with clear bra on your boator have any input on the idea?

thanks

In an effort to be helpful... I did some google searches on "clear bra"...

... it wasn't as interesting as I'd hoped :unsure:

What is it that you're trying to protect from? What's wrong w/ your dark color (you didn't specify the problem)

I thought there was some new contraption for us ladies that I didn't know about. Man - I'm a little disappointed. :(

I never heard of clear bra before? Did a search, it is made by 3M...Link

ventureshield_001.jpg

Edited by 1FootDan
hey everyone

Now that I have just recieved my new 60,000 boat it began to occur to me that midnight blue on the hull and above the rub rail was a bad idea. I still love the look of it but was wondering about putting clearbra on the hull and on the surface obove the rub rail. I called my local clearbra dealer and he explained that they do trailers and transom gguards all the time but has never been asked to clearbra above the rub rail. he also stated the on the hull it doesnt hold up as wll because of the abuse in the area from beaching.. I explained that I ALWAYS anchor off and try to never beach the boat.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever had any experience with clear bra on your boator have any input on the idea?

thanks

In an effort to get the thread back on track, I think that he's referring to a product such as the 3M Scotchcal film that people use on cars for rock chip protection. I'm guessing that you want to put it on the blue areas above the rub rail where people load in & out of the boat?

BTW, welcome to the site. :)

as im clicking on the tread im thinking...why would anyone want a clear bra hanging from the tower...the colorful ones lo0k so much better...

-krak

man, I guess I really should have thought about what i put as the subtitle for the thread.

Now that it's apparent I have everyones attention, I guess I should clarify clearbra and why I want to use it. Wakegirl was dead on on what clearbra is and why I would consider using it. Dark colors show scratches better as we all know and I am just trying to eliminate any minor scrathes that would occur do to traffic loading in and out of the boat behond the tower. I have seen clearbra on the edges of the fiberglass platform before and it drastically reduced the arrerance of scratches.

now that i've clarified what I ment I'm going to go look for one of these clearbra things and get my wife one ASAP

thanks

man, I guess I really should have thought about what i put as the subtitle for the thread.

Now that it's apparent I have everyones attention, I guess I should clarify clearbra and why I want to use it. Wakegirl was dead on on what clearbra is and why I would consider using it. Dark colors show scratches better as we all know and I am just trying to eliminate any minor scrathes that would occur do to traffic loading in and out of the boat behond the tower. I have seen clearbra on the edges of the fiberglass platform before and it drastically reduced the arrerance of scratches.

now that i've clarified what I ment I'm going to go look for one of these clearbra things and get my wife one ASAP

thanks

I only guessed right because I have the same color & difficulty with it at that spot. I think that your idea is a good one, although I'd keep the material just on the blue. I'd also consider having it professionally done because of the contour of the hull. I once saw a pro put some of that film on a motorcycle tank, down where it typically gets scratched from the jacket zipper. Those guys can do amazing things with that stuff.

Good luck & let us know how it turns out.

I have an expensive paint job on my car and have covered a lot it with 3M Scotchcal. It has saved me numerous times from dings and scratches. I had it professionally applied and would not recommend doing it yourself unless you are the type that would also tint your windows yourself (and accept all the resulting air bubbles).

As for the boat, I have solid black above the rubrail and after only three months of ownership, it is riddled with white scuff marks and scratches. I would probably have to get the hole deck wetsanded and polished back to perfection before applying the Scotchcal, otherwise it would just be locking in all the imperfections.

I'm considering having it done, but it's not cheap and getting a full detail every season for a few years might be cheaper. In the long run, it could be worth it.

The times that my boat takes the most abuse seems to be on the trailer, in the garage. So I'm seriously thinking of picking up a couple of those fender covers that mechanics have for cars & placing those on the gunnels when the boat is stored.

The times that my boat takes the most abuse seems to be on the trailer, in the garage. So I'm seriously thinking of picking up a couple of those fender covers that mechanics have for cars & placing those on the gunnels when the boat is stored.

I h'ave a couple of large rubber backed mats that have a think fabric layer on the other side and have worked great.

Are they kind of like throw rugs?

Well I originally purchased them for the blazer we had to protect the interior from dirt/fluids etc. They are real thin and are essentially blankets just rubber on one side. They cover from the back of the rear seat up to the tower base.

my bu has clear adhesive over the big molded transom Malibu sticker. Certainly works well for stopping transom scratches and protectioning the sticker. Perhaps use the same stuff ?