Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Gate Stuck - Help!

malibudreamin

32 minutes ago, NorrisMike said:

Where is this box located on the boat?  My 2013 23 LSV acted up yesterday.  Only the port side surf gate would function. I tried all the "tricks" to recalibrate and reset.  During recalibration I could hear and physically feel the actuators running but they were not moving the actuators at all.  I'm wondering if this box is the culprit.  I'd like to  check it for corrosion. Both actuators during calibration wouldn't move.  Then once again, the port side only would function as it should when surfing - starboard would do nothing.  Recalibrate AGAIN after a few power cycles and nothing, only noise.  It's like they were trying to draw them inward when they were already stored and in.  

check your box for corrosion, remove the cap with a 1/4” open end wrench,  after checking for that, jump your bad actuator by unplugging the plug above box (part of harness) straight from battery.  if it does not work (reverse polarity , try both ways), then you also have a bad actuator , if it works but the sound of it going out and back in isnt a strong consistent sound through entire stroke until its fully extended or retracted (sound at very end is slightly different-talking about the sound in midfle 3/4’s of stroke)  , its bad 

in the above post i did have a bad box internals,  , verified by Lenco testing at their shop,  snd a corrosion infected harness from the bad box , but also a bad actuator that was jumping in and out and testing with clamp meter ok but sound was very inconsistent compared to good side, replaced snd was good to go, its the actuator you use the most that will act this way going bad over time after so much usage

On 6/17/2021 at 5:00 PM, RyGuyCPA said:

Back of the board pictured. I don’t see any perforations or discoloration. Just the green corrosion on the male connector pins. This board has almost 1,000 hours on it. Any next-step troubleshooting recommendations (besides cleaning and greasing) or would you replace this?  

B9C84A46-5E74-4E2E-AB98-6BF9DB375C6D.jpeg

replace it snd harness, it comes back on the pins from infected female cap and impossible to clean the female side perfectly , i cleaned male pins and female cap, worked for awhile then stopped and when i pulled cap the green was back 

On 6/17/2021 at 7:20 PM, justgary said:

The red circle here isn't a perforation?  Too hard to tell from the photo.  They are usually very small.

spacer.png

Anyway, I would probably try resoldering the entire board if cleaning the connectors didn't help.  Yup, it's a pain and it requires some skill, but if you don't find any bad parts a bad solder joint is actually a fairly high probability.  I would definitely use 60:40 lead:tin solder, not that lead-free crap.

box is cheap from lenco and it takes their testing to determine if h bridge is working or not, $273 delivered  

On 6/15/2021 at 9:21 PM, csleaver said:

Malibu has a couple hundred of these in stock.  If you need one, your Malibu dealer should be able to get one for you, but they are expensive:

6174101.1, Control Box, Surf Gate, Slow, White, Rev 1, Malibu 13, Axis 14-15

no they are not from Lenco, $273 delivered snd at first last year they were reconditioned malibu warranty returns, now they are manufactured new

Edited by granddaddy55
On 6/15/2021 at 4:09 PM, RyGuyCPA said:

Finally got around to contacting Lenco yesterday and was told the control box pictured is no longer available. it has some serious corrosion and the starboard gate will not work. No used/refurbished part is available and they recommended contacting Malibu/Axis to determine a possible replacement. Any other better recommendations or sources for this part?  I don’t mind paying dealer prices…. I just need to fix these damn surf gates this year!  
Currently running my 2014 A24 with a wakemakers suction cup block. Not terrible but also not ideal.  

9D0E2178-576D-42DE-8DBF-6BFF2B313D6C.jpeg

talk to Kevin brostek or Ashley Cleever, they have the stock!!!

cool, thanks. I will check all this. very helpful. thank you.  hoping it's just corrosion seeing that my boat only has 100 hours on it and most likely little to no use of the surf gates. There wasn't even PNP bags ever installed when I bought it. 

6 minutes ago, NorrisMike said:

cool, thanks. I will check all this. very helpful. thank you.  hoping it's just corrosion seeing that my boat only has 100 hours on it and most likely little to no use of the surf gates. There wasn't even PNP bags ever installed when I bought it. 

i hope it works, my fear is it will but that your corrosion will return, harness is just 178 delivered??? that corrosion “infection” does not go away, its chronic snd will come back 

check the left snd right deutch actuator connections for any separate corrosion coming up the line from actuator, it happens according to lenco if actuator gets any water

one good thing, you will know your systrm after this, at least for actuator, cox, and harness/relay

1 hour ago, granddaddy55 said:

i hope it works, my fear is it will but that your corrosion will return, harness is just 178 delivered??? that corrosion “infection” does not go away, its chronic snd will come back 

check the left snd right deutch actuator connections for any separate corrosion coming up the line from actuator, it happens according to lenco if actuator gets any water

one good thing, you will know your systrm after this, at least for actuator, cox, and harness/relay

ya, I will go check it out today and see how it looks.  If I swap it all out, can I buy all the stuff direct from Lenco?  Actuators, harness and relay? 

2 hours ago, NorrisMike said:

1 hour ago, NorrisMike said:

ya, I will go check it out today and see how it looks.  If I swap it all out, can I buy all the stuff direct from Lenco?  Actuators, harness and relay? 

ashley caneva , my apologies, actuator and box from lenco, harness from dealer, harness has a part tag on it

@COOP was super helpful with part as i do not have a close dealer

don't rush bad parts with new , great time to surf backside or a suckgate for a few weeks, when i ordered my harness there were only 2 or 3 in all of Malibu stock

Edited by granddaddy55
28 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

ashley caneva , my apologies, actuator and box from lenco, harness from dealer, harness has a part tag on it

don't rush bad parts with new , great time to surf backside or a suckgate for a few weeks, when i ordered my harness there were only 2 or 3 in all of Malibu stock

Thanks again!  Definitely NOOOOO rush. I've put 35 hours on my boat so far and this was only my second time using the surf system. I need it fixed but I don't really surf. 

• Like 1
On 7/6/2021 at 3:16 PM, granddaddy55 said:

went back out and gate would operate but only deploy half way.  I was able to observe the gate while out and discovered it's probably toast. The seal was out and there was grease on the shaft.  Could be what's giving me an issue.  I will get that ordered and start there.  Thanks.