Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hit something

Yesterday we were at detroit. The air temp was right around 100* and water near 72* the lake wasn't crowded and it was a great day...until we hit something. I was boarding and we were all the way up the brightenbush (sp?) arm and all the sudded the boat hit something and wood chunks went flying up towards me. We stopped the boat, and checked the prop and underwater gear and everything seemed fine, except for a lot of bad vibrations.

We crawled back to the dock (not trying to cause anymore damage) at just above idle speed because anything more made the boat shake badly. I am taking the boat into the shop Thursday morning and our mechanic is going to find out whats wrong with the boat. The prop only has a few small nicks and there isn't any obvious damage to anything. Our mechanic (before seeing it) said we could have bent the shaft, and strut, will possibly need to get the prop re-worked (read I am getting a new 525 Biggrin.gif )

Has anyone hit something, but seen no real visible damage, but still had lots of vibrations and shaking? Our mechanic said he won't know anything for sure until Thursday, but from what I have told him (and you) this is what he thinks could be the problem.....so has anyone else ran into a problem such as this that led to these things needing to be fixed???

Last piece of wood I hit smoothed out a couple blades. They didn't look messed up until I pulled the prop off.

It vibrated really badly though, I knew something was wrong.

I suppose one way you could find out, would be to run the boat on a fake-a-lake, and have someone hose down the shaft strut a with a second hose... if it vibrates then.. your shaft is bent.. if it just spins the prop fine.. everything is good ('cept the prop)

If you don't keep the shaft wet, it makes a lot of squeeling noise (probably not good for the guide bushing) ;)

Oh and a bent prop will cost you <100 to fix, but a new one is $350ish... if you want a new prop, just get one - you don't need to trash the old one first.

Besides, you'll want to fix the old one to keep as a spare anyway

I forgot to mention that on the 45 minute crawl back to the dock the temp was higher then 160* it didn't ever go above the next notch (which I think is 180*) but I think the higher temp was cause of us just ideling...maybe not Dontknow.gif

I wouldn't engage gear with the motor running. If the strut & its teflon bearing are OK you risk shagging it without it being in water despite best intentions with a hose. Then there is a pile of mucking around to fix the strut & bearing.

After you have taken the prop off, take the plug leads off and get someone to turn the motor over on the starter with the boat in gear. Hold a pencil up to the prop shaft and note as it rotates whether the shaft is bent. It will be obvious.

From what you have said, it is most likely just the prop - they are sacrificial to some extent (unless stainless).

I wouldn't engage gear with the motor running. If the strut & its teflon bearing are OK you risk shagging it without it being in water despite best intentions with a hose. Then there is a pile of mucking around to fix the strut & bearing.

After you have taken the prop off, take the plug leads off and get someone to turn the motor over on the starter with the boat in gear. Hold a pencil up to the prop shaft and note as it rotates whether the shaft is bent. It will be obvious.

From what you have said, it is most likely just the prop - they are sacrificial to some extent (unless stainless).

yeah its the crappy stock SS prop Vomit.gif

Agreed that you wouldn't want to run it much with it in gear... but a quick test, with the guide wet.. (in gear... feel... outta gear) should be really obovious and not get the teflon hot or warn.

If they couldn't go faster than idle with the boat in the water, it wouldn't take more than quickly putting the boat in gear to know if the shaft is bent. (because they'd feel the same vibration as they did on the water)

I'm confident it is just the prop. Personally I wouldn't worry about taking it into the shop (that is a pain!) Just remove the prop, and go get it fixed. If is still vibrates, then go to the shop

I don't have a fake a lake (and yes I know how to make one :) ) but our shop is 1/2 mile away, I don't work, and the boat is all hooked up and sittin in the street so I will just take it in.

Agreed that you wouldn't want to run it much with it in gear... but a quick test, with the guide wet.. (in gear... feel... outta gear) should be really obovious and not get the teflon hot or warn.

If they couldn't go faster than idle with the boat in the water, it wouldn't take more than quickly putting the boat in gear to know if the shaft is bent. (because they'd feel the same vibration as they did on the water)

I'm confident it is just the prop. Personally I wouldn't worry about taking it into the shop (that is a pain!) Just remove the prop, and go get it fixed. If is still vibrates, then go to the shop

I reckon it will be the prop too. On the teflon thing - BTDT and wouldn't recommend having a crack. Anyway, the boat is going to the mechanic.

It costs me $110 to get a prop fixed here in Houston!!! Less than $100 is a bargain. I second the motion: get your prop fixed and see if that cures the problem. If you still pick up vibration after that, it's your shaft and/or strut. Shaft's can be straigtened too. New ones are pretty expensive. Shocking.gif

If you are runnin a stainless steel prop and you are getting vibration, you bent the shaft and possible the strut.

That is why a lot of us run niberal props on these boats. It is a heck of a lot cheaper to replace a soft niberal prop that gives. Stainless does not give therefore allowing the impact to travel up the driveshaft.

but good luck and keep us updated as to the outcome.

db

I hit a submerged stump last year at ~12mph with nibral prop . Modest vibration as we limped back to the dock. Had to replace the shaft, strut, and prop of course.

Good luck. . . Let us know what you find out.

Well I can't really go into details, but our boat is messed up and we had to get the insurance involved. When my dad called our agent he said that my dad didn't "check" a box that covered us for "inboard machinery equipment" and that the stuff isn't covered. However he did make a note on that sheet that we had an inboard. My dad swears he never was given a chance to answer that question. Our agent said that it could have been a clerical issue and now we are in negotions to make sure that our boat gets fixed. Basically our agent has kind of admitted that it was their fault, but he is leaving on vacation for two weeks (out of the country) and we have to deal with some other person who is going to try to help us get covered for this....its a mess and all I want is a boat that freakin works!!! Mad.gif

Edited by jetskipro550

Well the checks from the insurance company is in the mail and the parts have all been ordered Yahoo.gif I don't know how long its going to take for them to come in, but our boat has first priority in the shop once they arrive!!! All in all we are getting a new prop, shaft, ruddar, and wedge.

Where's a good place to send your prop to be fixed ... I've got a few dings in mine. Thanks

depends where you live. Ask your dealer or mechanic if there is anyone in town. If there isn't, ask them who they send theirs off to.

Where's a good place to send your prop to be fixed ... I've got a few dings in mine. Thanks

Either someone locally as JSP mentioned check with your dealer or call the manufacture to have it sent in for repairs. Make sure if you have a CNC'd prop they are capable of reparing it.

MalibuNation

Either someone locally as JSP mentioned check with your dealer or call the manufacture to have it sent in for repairs. Make sure if you have a CNC'd prop they are capable of reparing it.

Was going to bring it to the dealer (and still might) but thought I'd try to save some bucks. I remember seeing recomendations on places to send props to either on this site or the old Malibuboatowners website. Thanks.

Was going to bring it to the dealer (and still might) but thought I'd try to save some bucks. I remember seeing recomendations on places to send props to either on this site or the old Malibuboatowners website. Thanks.

We have made some recommendations near members but without knowing where you're located it's tough to come up w/ the place.

I sent my ACME prop to ACME for repair last year but I can't say that I was completely thrilled with the experience. The prop worked OK, but looked like someone had taken a hammer to it and beat the heck out of it. It was only later, when I went to trade in the old boat that I noticed that they didn't even send me back the prop I had sent them. I sent them a 381 for repair and they sent me back a 537 (that someone had taken a hammer to). I now use a local shop for repairs.