Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower Tow Spool Removal - Illusion X

I am about to remove my tow spool and want to make sure I don't screw it up...

There is a piece on top and two halves to the bottom... Do the two halves seperate? Just unscrew them? Or what?

Edited by bg2pres
I am about to remove my tow spool and want to make sure I don't screw it up...

There is a piece on top and two halves to the bottom... Do the two halves seperate? Just unscrew them? Or what?

Just did this on our '05 Vride.

The top piece is actually a plastic "plug", you need to carefully pry it up to gain access to the bolt that holds the main piece in place. I wedged utility knife blades in from 3 sides, then gradually lifted each more and more until it came off. The Malibu tech I talked to said he had removed 7 or 8 of them - - and broke this top cover 5 or six times.....After removing the bolt, the spool actually lifts off, but be careful when removing so you don't ding up your bearing.

In hindsight, I wonder if a little lubricant would help ease that top cover off since it has an "o" ring around the shaft to keep water out.

I have pictures of the whole process, I will email them to you if you need them.

I have to take the spool off every time I put my boat in the garage. This is what I did.

I shaved down an 1.5" wrench and just slip it in between the tower and spool. All you need to do is just break the torque of the bolt, then the spool will spin out by hand.