Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cross country trip planned. 2000+ miles. Can the truck/boat handle it?

tinyDANcer

Ok crew this is my first post. I own a 2005 GMC Sierra and 2005 Malibu Sportster. We'll be making the trip from Indianapolis to Reno permanently on August 1. I've dreamed of boating on Lake Tahoe for a long time and the time is now. What should I be checking besides tire temp and pressure? I'm not a gear head so be a little detailed if you've done a similar trip? The truck has new rear brakes and the front ones about 2 years ago. Single axle trailer has 2 new tires as of last year.. am i missing anything?

My experience trailering her isn't limited but this is my first over 500 miles. I'm comfortable in the hills of KY and TN but the Rockies are another animal. I'm considering taking I 40 instead of I 80 to avoid the larger mountain passes but this adds 500 miles. Am i overthinking this ? Just looking to calm the nerves. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like an awesome move.

I would take at least 1 spare tire for the trailer, maybe 2. A good sign of an issue is the hub temperature on the trailer axles - check them often when you stop and pay attention to any smells (like hot). When was the last time the wheel bearings were packed? Are they bearing buddies?

Check your hitch, ball and receiver bar - any signs of wear? Replace if so.

For the truck, pay attention to the temp and oil pressure gages and watch for change.

make sure you have a spare tire or tire/wheel assembly, correct lug wrench, a tarp to lay down on, a jack that fits under the trailer, wheel chocks, axle grease in a grease gun, and validate that your insurance covers towing the boat if there is a problem with the trailer (flatbed) or the tow rig breaks down.

The trailer is heading to the shop tomorrow. I had to disable the breaks a while back when I got stuck on the ramp so they need to be looked at. I've never had the bearings packed but since they are checking breaks I'll have them check it. What do you mean by bearing buddies?

http://www.etrailer.com/Grease-Caps/Bearing-Buddy/BB1781.html?feed=npn&gclid=CKemwLCN18YCFUY8gQodXDkL_Q

the link above is an example.

they are hubs that allow you to easily monitor the grease level and add to. Many trainers have these or sealed bearings.

With BB's you need to be sure you have a grease gun and fitting to fit (as mentioned just above).

Personally I think you're over thinking the I40 route, you're towing the lightest of boats, I wouldn't add the extra 500 miles... My .02

• Like 3

I've chosen not to add the fact my 2005 sierra has 240K miles on it. woops. Don't have the capital just yet to get a new truck but its the first play when I get out there. Thanks calimali2

I80 isn't that bad. Coming across nevada from the east it is far and away the preferred route to coming up I-40 to Las Vegas to Reno via 95. 95 would be a much worse tow than 80 IMHO. At least on 80 you've got a shoulder to pull over onto and the hope of some legitimate highway services if you were to need them.

now a sporty on Tahoe... good luck with that!

Yea i have triple AAA and have used it with the boat before but should be prepared enough i wont have to.

"a sporty on tahoe.. good luck"

I understand Lake Tahoe is a different animal. What do you suggest I do besides picking up a marine radio and checking the weather every time I go out? What's your experiences on the lake?

" I recommend a 20 to 24 foot boat for a smoother ride and extra power to pull a water skier or tuber. Remember it’s not uncommon for the winds to pick up in the afternoon and we typically get a westerly wind. I recommend starting early and heading along the east shore first. If the lake starts to get choppy head over toward Emerald Bay and the west shore." - some blog. seems like some good knowledge.

tahoe just blows out to the point there are huge rollers, and even when there aren't huge rollers, it will get ruined with crisscrossing boat wakes. It's a BEAUTIFUL lake but not the best for watersports (expensive to launch; must get inspection; water is never warm; waves, boats, wind etc).

But if it ever rains/snows again, there are lots of fabulous lakes for boating within a 2 hour radius.

noted. how bad is the drought out there? i'm looking forward to the mountains in the winter but i'm a water guy through and through. its difficult leaving the midwest with its copious amounts of water but a lifestyle change is in order.

noted. how bad is the drought out there? i'm looking forward to the mountains in the winter but i'm a water guy through and through. its difficult leaving the midwest with its copious amounts of water but a lifestyle change is in order.

BAD.

• 1 year later...

To get decent water on Tahoe, you have to go out early, and definitely bring a wet suit all the way till late August.  The west shore is usually the best, along Meeks bay.  It's super expensive, a boat with ballast is about $76 for the inspection, but make sure your bilge is completely dry.  Launch fees, depending on where you go, can be as high as $50 for in and out.  But, it is one of the most beautiful lakes in the world.  The water is so clear, that it feels like you flying over the boulders.  I highly recommend San Harbor. 

On 7/13/2015 at 8:38 PM, tinyDANcer said:

"a sporty on tahoe.. good luck"

I understand Lake Tahoe is a different animal. What do you suggest I do .....

Make sure your bilge pump is in good working order.   And that the lines are not clogged.   And that you have life jackets for everyone and good insurance on the boat....