Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Compass on 2015 Dash?

Cory

Whats up guys! New to the forum. I am looking at a 15' 22 VLX and i have been reading about the GPS topic here and was wondering what i should really look for if i plan on using the chart plotter and want my compass to work. Does not call for the navigation in the options just Zero Off gps

Buy a $10 to $20 gps puck (with SMA connector) on Amazon and screw it into the back of the Viper box. Just use adhesive velcro to mount it up under the dash. Note, these antennas are directional, so you may need to rotate it if you mount it the wrong way (hence velcro). Then your compass will work.

If you want map data, purchase the navtronics SD card for your region (about $150) on Amazon and you will have map data. There is a bug in the depth readings displayed on the maps right now, but Medallion is working on a fix, which should be available in the next software update coming out this fall for the boats.

Cory thanks for the tip on the Amazon antenna it worked great and I now have direction.

The wife gave me a raised eyebrow and a "....really?" and I was like "pssht...really."

20150801_192036_resized.jpg

Notice the wildfire smoke filter on the sun in the upper left corner

• 2 weeks later...

Got the antenna and hot maps installed and looks like everything loaded correctly, but seems that have have lost function of the arrows on the maps to scroll around the map. Anybody else loss the arrow functions.

Got the antenna and hot maps installed and looks like everything loaded correctly, but seems that have have lost function of the arrows on the maps to scroll around the map. Anybody else loss the arrow functions.

I think you just need to change your viewing mode to north always up. You are probably on the setting where up is always forward. I don't think you can scroll around on the map in that setting. Just my best guess, but I'd give it a 90% chance of being correct.

• 9 months later...

Hi all. On my 2016 23 LSV, the factory told me I needed their GPS puck and a Navionics Plus map card. They said they mount the puck in the dash behind the windshield to prevent interference with the speed zero off puck. I removed the lower dash cover and conveniently there was a 3" access hole in my dash in line with the steering column  exposing the raw dash pad. Starting with a tiny pilot hole drill bit taped 1/2" from the end for a guide and turning normal direction I worked up to the 3/8" bit running each in reverse to not "bite" and tear my dash vinyl or crack my windshield. I plugged it up beside the Bluetooth antenna and it worked immediately. The Viper II puck from Malibu was $99.00 and arrived in one day. My bass boat dealer stocked the card. It literally was a 15 minute or less install while my kid waited on the ballast to fill for wakeboarding. And the direction indicator shows in my main screen as well. 

17 hours ago, WakeDade2015 said:

Hi all. On my 2016 23 LSV, the factory told me I needed their GPS puck and a Navionics Plus map card. They said they mount the puck in the dash behind the windshield to prevent interference with the speed zero off puck. I removed the lower dash cover and conveniently there was a 3" access hole in my dash in line with the steering column  exposing the raw dash pad. Starting with a tiny pilot hole drill bit taped 1/2" from the end for a guide and turning normal direction I worked up to the 3/8" bit running each in reverse to not "bite" and tear my dash vinyl or crack my windshield. I plugged it up beside the Bluetooth antenna and it worked immediately. The Viper II puck from Malibu was $99.00 and arrived in one day. My bass boat dealer stocked the card. It literally was a 15 minute or less install while my kid waited on the ballast to fill for wakeboarding. And the direction indicator shows in my main screen as well. 

I'm about to do the same thing on my 2015 VLX. Did you take any pics? I don't have my boat home to look under the dash so I'm not real sure what you were drilling. What does the Viper II puck look like? I was going to try a cheap GPS puck from Amazon first. FYI....I found the Navionics+ Map Card on sale at Cabelas today for $179.99

I'll try to go out to the boat tomorrow after work and get some pics. LOL not sure how to post them. The factory viper ii puck is about 2" round give or take, 5/8" or so tall with a 3/8" threaded post down in the center with the wire running straight down through it. On the back of the viper ii you'll see a Bluetooth antenna and beside it is the threaded hook up for the puck. My placement was flat on the dash inline with the steering shaft approximately 3" or so back from the windshield. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Wakedade2015. My install was a success! I used a cheap $9 GPS puck antenna from Amazon and Navionics+ Map Card from Cabelas that I got free with my Cabelas Points and it all works great! I velcroed the puck to the top of the heavy aluminum steering/dash brace. It was very useful on our vacation to Lake Ouachita and Lake Hamilton last week. 

IMG_7200.JPG

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a 2016 lsv and have compass direction on my front dash. Does this mean I have the gps puck hooked up? I thought you needed an additional puck. When I open the maps, I don't get any maps because I don't have the sd card, but it also shows no satellite reception. Do you need sd card in to get reception?

On 6/23/2016 at 3:11 AM, jbcanski2 said:

Thanks Wakedade2015. My install was a success! I used a cheap $9 GPS puck antenna from Amazon and Navionics+ Map Card from Cabelas that I got free with my Cabelas Points and it all works great! I velcroed the puck to the top of the heavy aluminum steering/dash brace. It was very useful on our vacation to Lake Ouachita and Lake Hamilton last week. 

IMG_7200.JPG

Are you depth readings in feet? Because mine are not. And i really dont know what measurement my map is using. Meters dont add up 

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you got it worked out jbcanski2! Yes those readings are in feet though best i can tell its from published full pool of the lake you're on. 

On July 8, 2016 at 5:03 AM, Mattb422 said:

Are you depth readings in feet? Because mine are not. And i really dont know what measurement my map is using. Meters dont add up 

It's a software glitch.  The latest software update from early 2016 will solve the units issue.  My guess is you have the Feb. 2015 software update.

• 1 month later...
On July 8, 2016 at 7:11 AM, fastmcars said:

I have a 2016 lsv and have compass direction on my front dash. Does this mean I have the gps puck hooked up? I thought you needed an additional puck. When I open the maps, I don't get any maps because I don't have the sd card, but it also shows no satellite reception. Do you need sd card in to get reception?

Same here on my 16 LSV, compass but no Satellite signal in the maps screen. I wonder if they moved to the zero off gps for compass data? 

Ordering up a gps puck and seeing what I can find for a nav sd card.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

So I did what most everyone else on this thread did.

I bought a cheap Hockey PUCK GPS and the Nav+ Software.    I did not register it, as a matter of fact I took it out of the box while sitting in the boat and plugged it in.

It worked out of the Box and took me a grand total of about 5 mins to install.  

1 hour ago, Trout said:

So I did what most everyone else on this thread did.

I bought a cheap Hockey PUCK GPS and the Nav+ Software.    I did not register it, as a matter of fact I took it out of the box while sitting in the boat and plugged it in.

It worked out of the Box and took me a grand total of about 5 mins to install.  

I did the same this weekend.  I didn’t register nor did I erase the card and reload the maps.  Worked fine out of the box.