Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow rig is gone, looking for a replacement

Raimie

Probably the time of the year. I bought a 2014 F-150 pretty decently loaded, crew cab, 4wd, etc for under $32k in April 2014. ~$13k or so off sticker if I remember correctly.

I agree with the Truck vs SUV pricing, we originally were set on replacing our 2009 Suburban LTZ with a new one but at ~$55-$60k it just didn't make sense. We got a new pickup for nearly half the price.

Nearing 14k miles on it now and still love it. We got one with the captains chairs up front so only seats 5 but is fine for us and the bed is great to have for anything instead of needing a roof box or putting wet/dirty gear inside the SUV.

yep go to cars.com

SEARCH

New

Ford

f150

200mile? radius

FILTER RESULTS

CrewCab

4x4

Keywords: "3.5L Turbo"

SORT RESULTS:

Lowest First.

You see them as cheap as $27k, but some of those will be with hand crank windows.... at $30k, you get a variety of colors... at $32k you start to see alloy rims, step bars etc etc. The XLTs start around $33k, and those are nicely optioned by most accounts, not talking leather and Platinum bling.

Edited by nyryan2001

The reason I ask is the huge disparity between used loaded SUVs and new trucks. Massive disparity that would drive me away to a new truck.

At ~$29-32k, you are into a NEW 2015 F150 4x4, 3.5L Ecoboost, 6 seat Crewcab, PW, PL, cloth seats etc. not much else as far as options though, no bling at that price range.

Fully understand the kids in car seats, I've got two boys myself, and did the crew cab truck thing. As far as the additional seating, it allows you to fit one more adult in between them comfortably. Worst case the second adult in rare cases, 6th passenger, can sit up front in between you. Put a $500 lockable lid on the bed and you have more storage than a SUV and a brand new top level tow vehicle and daily driver.

I'd have a hard time choosing a loaded 3-4yr old SUV with 50-100k miles when new is avail and the minor inconvenience of a rare case of a 6th passenger.

Thanks Ryan. That is a good consideration. I will talk it over with the hubs...

I like the idea of the pickup. I had one before kiddos (S-10 ZR2) and loved it. It would accomodate our snowboards much better than a short wheelbase SUV as well.

Have a truck, have a topper over the bed, have two kids in car seats...there are advantages and disadvantages to each. If I was home with the kids all day and driving them all around town like my wife is, I would much rather have an SUV.

ahopkins22LSV

Maybe also think about how long you want to keep this plus how fast your kids are growing? I can't offer any advice there, I can't seem to keep a car more than 1-2 years and I have no kids :lol:

With kids, especially if you trailer the boat, the SUV is way better than a truck because as the kids get older they (and you, hopefully) will want to bring their friends to the lake too. Crew cab is really limiting in that regard.

Im in the same position. Just started shopping for a 07 or newer Suburban/Yukon XL Like the fuel savings on the 5.3, but probably wont turn the 6.2 down if i find a real good deal on one.

Good luck in your search, Im seeing some decent deals out there already.

With kids, especially if you trailer the boat, the SUV is way better than a truck because as the kids get older they (and you, hopefully) will want to bring their friends to the lake too. Crew cab is really limiting in that regard.

My .02 on that. If and when it happens, take 2 cars.

Again no doubt a SUV would be ideal for a family.... But it needs to be articulated in terms of what that convienience costs... $7-10k more new or same price with 3-5yrs age and/or 50k+ miles. That's where the new truck value trumps if you can manage the 5+ passenger issues.

I checked the cheapest 2015 Ford Expedition 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost was at $37k. Tahoe/Sequioas start at $41.

My .02 on that. If and when it happens, take 2 cars.

LOL says the guy who lives in the "land o lakes." Two drivers for 1-2 hour drive each way = wife asking "why are we doing this?"

LOL says the guy who lives in the "land o lakes." Two drivers for 1-2 hour drive each way = wife asking "why are we doing this?"

We regularly take multiple cars to my folks lake place 90 minutes away. Just doesn't make much sense that the suv argument is for the rare occasion that you need to bring a couple extras along. Tell you wife to suck it up;)

post-22501-0-14725500-1436447237.jpg

Edited by oldjeep

Thanks for all the advice and for sharing your experiences. We found an 07 extended length Esclade that we are going to look at today. It spent the first 5 years of it's life in Georiga, so that is a huge plus. Price is lower than expected, which is another big bonus. It's funny as of last night we decided we were going to get a Chevy pickup instead of the SUV, and then this came up in a search at 6am so we are back to square 1 again...

Edited by Raimie

Again no doubt a SUV would be ideal for a family.... But it needs to be articulated in terms of what that convienience costs... $7-10k more new or same price with 3-5yrs age and/or 50k+ miles. That's where the new truck value trumps if you can manage the 5+ passenger issues.

I checked the cheapest 2015 Ford Expedition 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost was at $37k. Tahoe/Sequioas start at $41.

You keep advising to get a 1/2 ton truck... why all of the sudden is this okay?

• Like 1

I'm on mobile so can't see.... But doesn't she have an A22 axis? ~5500lbs range ?

LOL... I'm on mobile too, but even at 5500 she's over the magic number for 1/2 ton w/out WDH. Also gotta factor in gear and passengers in the rig, no?

I have had multiple different tow rigs over the years including an 08 tahoe. The 5.3 engine is fine towing a 22 ft boat, its the transmission that is not. Our 4 speed trans ended up needing rebuilt after 65k miles. It also needed a new drive shaft. It was a great rig to haul people around just not hauling people and a boat. So, if you end up getting a 5.3 make sure it does not have a 4 speed.

Ya she'd be a little over 5000.... Still way better than me at near 9,000, or a 247, 24mXZ, 25lsv or even the new bigger 23LSV in the ~7500-8500range.

Hard to tow shame someone at 5500lbs in a 1/2ton. It's when they are at 7k+ popping a wheelie dragging the hitch you see why the 5k SAE bumper tow limit is there.

Ya she'd be a little over 5000.... Still way better than me at near 9,000, or a 247, 24mXZ, 25lsv or even the new bigger 23LSV in the ~7500-8500range.

Hard to tow shame someone at 5500lbs in a 1/2ton. It's when they are at 7k+ popping a wheelie dragging the hitch you see why the 5k SAE bumper tow limit is there.

Which 23LSV is 7500 - 8500? I weighed mine before I bought it. 1/4 tank of fuel, was 6060 pounds with the trailer.

The 5.3 is not fine for towing heavier boats. Coming back from shasta loaded with 6 people and camping gear and towing our boat we maxed out a suburban with the 5.3 and couldn't do more than 50mph up two different hills. Boat and trailer is in the 6500-7000 range when loaded with fuel and gear

The 5.3 is not fine for towing heavier boats. Coming back from shasta loaded with 6 people and camping gear and towing our boat we maxed out a suburban with the 5.3 and couldn't do more than 50mph up two different hills. Boat and trailer is in the 6500-7000 range when loaded with fuel and gear

Do you know your trans temp during that? Hopefully you have a cooler.

What year 5.3? Chev has somehow de-turded the 5.3 over the past couple of years and at least claim that it is putting out near the same power as ford and ram. 355hp/383tq

Edited by oldjeep

Wasn't my rig and I wasn't driving and it didn't have a trans temp gauge. It was a 2001 or 2002

I had an '08 Suburban we used to tow our boat down to Shasta. At the top of those grades the trans temp was > 230 degrees.... and that was WITH the factory tranny cooler.

Same trip, same grades with my Ecoboost and a much heavier boat... max temp on the entire trip was 201 degrees.

ahopkins22LSV

Terrain is much different here, 5.3 does perfectly fine.