Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow rig is gone, looking for a replacement

Raimie

So, we had an offer we couldn't refuse on our 2002 3/4 ton Surburban on Saturday and with that, it's gone.

To replace it we are looking at 2007+ models to get the advantage of better fuel economy. We have a friend selling an Esclade (standard length) that we are considering. It is an '07 and only has 74k miles. Does anyone have any experience with these? I am more of a Chevy girl, but the price is pretty good on it since it's from a friend.

The alternative would be to look for a Surburban/Tahoe/Yukon but they typically have many more miles.

On another note... if I can't find a suitable replacement prior to July 18th, would anyone local be willing to loan me their truck so I can take my boat to the WTW event?

The Escalade will have the larger engine (6.0 or 6.2 I can't remember) so that will be better for towing...but than you'll be driving an Escalade.

The standard tahoe/suburban will come with the 5.3 engine which isn't that great for towing larger boats IMO. If you want the larger engine for towing and don't want the look or name of the Escalade look into a Yukon or Yukon XL (suburban) Denali. Another option would be a Sequoia with the 5.7 engine. The only better boat & family haulers are the older suburbans (but you just sold one), one ton passenger vans, or Excursions. However most people don't want those for daily drivers.

The 6.2 in the escalade should tow way better than the 5.3 that would be in a comparable tahoe/yukon. Just like anything used I would be more concerned about the care the po took of the vehicle. Buying from a friend would give me more peace of mind. I would hope my friends wouldn't sell me a neglected lemon anyway.

I have an 07 Escalade ESV with the 6.2/6L80E power train.

I have no performance issues towing my VLX. The truck is hard on fuel around town, but OK on the highway.

+1 on the Yukon Denali. I just replaced my 05 with a 2013. I could do without all the extra luxury stuff that comes with the Denali but to me the extra money for the upgraded engine, transmission cooler and the level assist suspension are well worth it. I towed with the 5.3L and I was not impressed. My 05 had 130K on it with no issues other than replacing the air shocks and compressor.

I would not get the standard length Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade. Stick to the longer wheelbase for towing.

Personally, I think your best bet would be a 2009+ 3/4 ton Suburban. It has the 6.0L and starting in '09 you get the 6 speed trans and factory bluetooth!

Edited by IXFE

Personally, I think your best bet would be a 2009+ 3/4 ton Suburban. It has the 6.0L and starting in '09 you get the 6 speed trans and factory bluetooth!

I would love to do that but from what I have seen they exceed my budget.

QX56 has worked well for us. When comparing similar year Chevy/GMC/Cadillac SUV's we felt the Infiniti was a much better vehicle for the money. It is hard on fuel but I don't care. Great motor and trans. Self level air bags. electronic fold flat 3rd row. bluetooth. real leather and real wood grain. reverse cam. gps. heated steering wheel. and lots of other little things.

Oh I see you are from Mich.... You may want a chevy then.... Being from Mi myself, I catch a little flack from my family back home for my vehicle selection.

Oh I see you are from Mich.... You may want a chevy then.... Being from Mi myself, I catch a little flack from my family back home for my vehicle selection.

Ya, its going to be a GM or Ford product

Gotcha. Then I'd at least search for a southern vehicle. whatever you decide on. It's amazing how much nicer they stay down here without the salt.

25K, would be willing to go a smidgen more if the right truck came along, but I would say nothing more than 28k

Absolutely must be a SUV? 6 seater truck not an option?

Absolutely must be a SUV? 6 seater truck not an option?

We have 2 kids in car seats, and it's nice to put an additional adult or 2 in the 3rd row seat

The reason I ask is the huge disparity between used loaded SUVs and new trucks. Massive disparity that would drive me away to a new truck.

At ~$29-32k, you are into a NEW 2015 F150 4x4, 3.5L Ecoboost, 6 seat Crewcab, PW, PL, cloth seats etc. not much else as far as options though, no bling at that price range.

Fully understand the kids in car seats, I've got two boys myself, and did the crew cab truck thing. As far as the additional seating, it allows you to fit one more adult in between them comfortably. Worst case the second adult in rare cases, 6th passenger, can sit up front in between you. Put a $500 lockable lid on the bed and you have more storage than a SUV and a brand new top level tow vehicle and daily driver.

I'd have a hard time choosing a loaded 3-4yr old SUV with 50-100k miles when new is avail and the minor inconvenience of a rare case of a 6th passenger.

Thanks Ryan. That is a good consideration. I will talk it over with the hubs...

I like the idea of the pickup. I had one before kiddos (S-10 ZR2) and loved it. It would accomodate our snowboards much better than a short wheelbase SUV as well.

ahopkins22LSV

Used trucks in your price range in our area are plentiful and can always find one with lower miles and in good shape if you search hard enough.

IMO the GM 5.3 will be fine for our area as well. Going up north last weekend I had zero issues keeping speed if I wanted to while going up hills. Never ran above 3-3200 RPMS going up any northern MI hill and was still at 65mph.

At ~$29-32k, you are into a NEW 2015 F150 4x4, 3.5L Ecoboost, 6 seat Crewcab, PW, PL, cloth seats etc. not much else as far as options though, no bling at that price range.

$29k? Not what I experienced a few years ago before i bought my SUV. I tried to work a few dealers on a completely stripped XL version F150 with a 5.0, crew cab, 4x4 without any luck under $32k. I'm talking bare bumpers and steel wheels with or without a radio rubber floor and vinyl seats.

Maybe it was the time of the year....? This was in 2011

However, that is precisely what pushed me towards a used luxury SUV. Same price basically, certified used with warranty, low miles, and WAYYYYY more for your money. It was an easy decision.

Edited by NorrisMike

We bought an Excursion at the beginning of the year. Older of course, V10 has plenty of power and poor mileage(11-11mpg towing the boat). Rides like a truck, seats 8. It's a limited with leather etc but lacks a lot of the modern conveniences. Less to brake inmo. We love it. We only use it for towing the boat and travel trailer so mileage really isn't an issue for us.