Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Carpet Wearing on front Bunkers -- How do I adjust?

mtnbkr738

Hi all,

2014 I replaced all the bunkers boards and carpet (Home Depot Marine carpet, w/ Stainless steel Staples.)

All has been working good, except that now I noticed that the front 2 bunkers are wearing real hard - and the carpet is rubbed raw at the edges toward the center of the front 2 boards.

So Im thinking the boards either need to be shaved down or adjusted (left or right) so this doesn't happen. (this probably happens during loading/unloading)

So before I pull these 2 boards off and start messing with them-- Just curious if anyone had any ideas.

BTW: I dont recall the old boards being anything special or any special angle.

any Ideas?? THX!!

IMG_9770_zps2kpccroj.jpg

IMG_9771_zpsikilmjut.jpg

IMG_9774_zpsxa1bgrjy.jpg

Mine are doing same thing, except at the front of the front bunks.

I always figured it was the cost of doing business. Where they wear probably has to do with angle of the boat ramp, how deep you back the trailer in.

They look like 2x6s, switching to 2x4s would move he contact area outboard and might eliminate the problem. Otherwise your might consider ripping the boards on table saw to match the angle of the bottom of the hull when it is on he bunks. Barring that loading a little deeper might help reduce the problem.

Ok, so it was definitely wear and tear from loading... but the launch we go to, i cant go any deeper... so when i power it on is when its making the hot spot on the bunk.

so i eased the edges on the boards with a sawzall

re wrapped with carpet

used "spray wax" on those 2 boards.

Looks like that should help.... may just need to rewrap those every other year or so... but at least now im not scuffing the bottom of the boat.

thx everyone!