Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

NEW Board Racks for "Boat Lifts" ?

The Hulk

anyone thought or have a board rack up that holds the boards much more vertical so that you can pull into your boat lift without hitting the boards on the lift?

the boards extend out wider than the boat and wont fit going into the lift. Remembering to take the boards down or off before pulling in is a hassle .

all you would need to do is rotate them more upwards so the boards are more vertical.

if get bored on a rainy week i'll have to get some aluminum and CNC some up or make some out of HDPE until the design is right.

maybe someone already has something out there?

post-28204-0-03839500-1435696500_thumb.j

I got 15 & 30 degree racks on my Illusion tower. Lowers are the 15's and we just swivel em in before any docking or up on lift. But your on the right track. Got mine from StarOneWake Surf and skim/wake combo forks for all four, love the set up. But yea, ya gotta watch out for posts, dock roofs ect.... You'll figure it out for what works for you. ( Ironic, I made a mock rack out of HDPE as well when I got the boat trying to figure it all out as well, finally found the StarOne forks and that solved my problem) Hope ya can get what ya want.

Swivel board racks? Turn them in before you enter the slip.

if i turn them inward as far as they go or until they hit the speakers then the boards stick out even further sideways from the boat, my racks are on the TOP mount G3 tower (which means they are inward) more than if i moved racks to lower mounting area. Seems like an angle adjustment slot would be a good thing for these so you could adjust how you want. Perhaps this is because i have dual speakers on each side and the boards "could" swing inward more if i didnt have both speakers, or perhaps the other bu older towers were spaced better...

the Staronewake fixed is surely "more vertical" but perhaps not enough for what i need (also the forks look narrow for some of the thicker surf boards). Boat lift is 122" inside width. Boat is 102" from malibu site not sure if that includes rub-rail or not? Anyhow time to get some HDPE and play around.

Cant be the only one out there with the issue so if it works out i'll CNC up some bracket mounts. My idea is also to add 2pcs cupped area so that each side can also hold 2pcs 2" pvc Auger Poles as well. then she might look like an F-16 with wing-tip missiles!

hulk- I'm coming on and off my buddy's lifts every weekend.

Bottom line: you can barely give up an inch on the sides... a high angle rack would still protrude 4,6,8 inches.

The 4 cables the drop down and hold the lift rub on the 102" beam rubrails...and within 2-4" of the towers. no room for anything on the outside of the racks... they got be swiveled in.

Now, if you have a more narrow beam ski boat.... then it could feasibly work there. but not on any of the larger 102" beam wakeboats.

Edited by nyryan2001

my tower angles in from the 102" obviously the higher up racks more than the lower ones, i figured at 60-75 deg would give me about 6" clearance on each side (thats a guess)

i need to check if i move the racks to the lower mount if i can fully swing the boards in without hitting the speakers but if i recall the top board would still hit the bottom speaker

but it is a good line of thinking.... I don't have a buddy on the lake with a lift who hasn't tore his racks up at least once.... and one in particular just tore up both his on a brand new Centurion.

Good news is, depending on the brand of rack you have... some have a 30-40$ rebuild kits for the inner pins and parts... don't ask me how I know. My Centurion buddy not so lucky, $425 for 2 new Roswell rack swivels.

Edited by nyryan2001

I know it's too late now but when I had my dock built, I had the slip made 11' wide instead of the normal 10' wide here on this lake. It gives me more room to pull in and clear the racks. If I have boards in the racks, I still swivel them in to clear. I do not have wakeboards in the racks very often so those maybe hitting your speakers where mine clear on surfboards.

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's too late now but when I had my dock built, I had the slip made 11' wide instead of the normal 10' wide here on this lake. It gives me more room to pull in and clear the racks. If I have boards in the racks, I still swivel them in to clear. I do not have wakeboards in the racks very often so those maybe hitting your speakers where mine clear on surfboards.

were talking boat lifts "most" across the industry are 122" inside of the lift beams at most... there are some newer 130" brands but most are 120-122" which doesnt leave enough room.

The ONLY way i can swivel is to mount the boards pointing towards the back of the boat, so that when you swivel the longer part comes into the boat area and shorter part is sticking out. even then its "close" got lucky the other night forgot about boards and stopped in time before dinging them to bad.....

I expect we might be talking about different dock/lift situations. Mine was built in place. Are you talking about a commercially available dock that you buy and put in place? I designed this dock and had the slips made the width I needed.

post-5-0-44471300-1437710412_thumb.jpg

I expect we might be talking about different dock/lift situations. Mine was built in place. Are you talking about a commercially available dock that you buy and put in place? I designed this dock and had the slips made the width I needed.

Sweet baby jesus that's a nice setup!

• Like 3

I always swing my racks in if there is anything being stored in them. If not, often just have them facing the rear so they aren't sticking out and people in the boat aren't hitting their head.

I have the Titan fixed racks (Star one wake) and they are pretty angled up, and I still have to pull the boards to pull into my lift. I like to have all my boards put away for security reasons anyway so I've never thought of it as a problem...

I want your dock.