Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best battery for stereo (and backup starting)

xx29l9

2 years ago my #2 battery finally gave up (Interstate brand). I took the battery into a local Les Schwabs and told them that I an looking for a replacement battery that will be mainly used to run the boats stereo and as a general backup for the #1 battery. No problem they said and I walked out of their shop with a new Les Schwab battery. What a POS, the battery is drained after about 2 hours at anchor listening to the stereo. I took it back in and they tested it...."nothing wrong with battery". Really? With the old Interstate battery I could run the stereo for 6+ hours and still fire the boat right up on the same battery.

Anyway, I want to get rid of this junk battery and go get a Interstate or Optima or ???? battery and move on. What I don't remember is what type of battery is best for playing a stereo long hours. Is it a deep cycle? I don't think the stereo cares much about giant CCA numbers, but long lasting power. Suggestions?

Much thanks-

Bob

So actually a pretty decent battery hack is that If you get 2x 6 Volt Batteries and put them in "SERIES" you will get your 12V needed to start the boat or use as if its a normal 12V battery, but the real kicker is that you will get DOUBLE the AMP hours. 6 Volt batteries have much higher amp hours than Optimas and other expensive boat batteries. The idea is have 1 Optima Blue Top battery as your dedicated boat starter, and have at least 1 pair of 6 Volt batteries in series to double your amperage time. Keep in mind the 6Volt batteries will most likely be WET batteries so a little bit more maintenance is required to make sure their acid/water levels are up to par.

Sears Diehard Platinum Marine Series. (Made by Odyssey for Sears). $330. It's a beast as well at 80 lbs. Will need a bigger box to hold it. I had 7 amps in my previous boat and used 3 of these. 2 of them would run that stereo while sitting and it never shut down. If you have 2 amps, I would think one of these would take care of your problem.

Thanks for the input everyone....stereo has 3 amps, 2 1000 watt and 1 400 watt. Volume is usually on the low side as we relax at anchor. Leaning for the Interstate battery as I know the previous one worked really well. More ideas?

Bob

I've had good luck out of my Duralast batteries from Advance Auto. I run them in my tow rig (AGM) and it handles all the draw of lights, winch etc. without phasing it. I killed my first battery by running all my lights, even while the motor was idling. Moved to this AGM and haven't had a problem since.

And on the boat I'm running a group 25 marine for start, and 27 deep cycle marine for house/stereo. Excluding the loose ground I had a couple weeks ago, I can park for 2-3 hours with the stereo on, and the LED's/glowing stuff at night and either batter will crank the boat with ease. I'm running a 1200 watt amp, and a 600 watt amp, but haven't ever had them "cranked" for long periods while parked... so I'm not really beating on the battery system.

I think any legit battery company will be fine, honestly. Diehard, Interstate, Exide etc.

I haven't been a fan of Optima for a while. Had too many audiophile friends of mine have issues here and there after they sold/changed owners/whatever they did.

Im in the market for at #2 battery as well. I'm going with a costco group 24 deep cycle. I've had good luck with them in the past and they are pretty cheap.

group 29 has twice as much reserve capacity and is only about 25% bigger.

I know a guy that owns a golf cart shop/store. I asked about getting two 6v batteries in series. He said why not just one of the 12v. They make 12v golf cart batteries now.

If you want to do it right, and pay for it, go get 2 Kinetik 2000 (or 2400) batteries. They are competition, 12v, deep cycle, sealed gel batteries that are used for serious car audio and hydraulic competitors. They are expensive, $400 + each, but you can find them for cheaper if you look hard, $300 each. They are no maintenance, can be mounted upside-down, sideways.... whatever. They do not heat up very much at all, and they are able to handle the abuse we put them through in a wakeboat.

If you want to do it partially right, then buy only one, use it to run your stereo all day. When you head back, use it to start your boat and run it home so you can charge it up.

If you want to do it right, but not pay very much, go to your local used battery or golf cart battery depot. They have 12v sealed deep cycle batteries that are used in the newer 48v-72v golf cart/electric vehicles and for battery back up of big commercial generators and solar power systems. They are about 1/3 the price of the kinetics.

I had two 2000 amp Kinetics that I bought in 2007. They were flawless until this year. I had to battery tend one of them this winter, and it finally gave up a month ago. The other battery was still really good though. I decided to change out both of them because i think it is better to have 2 equal batteries, plus I got 8 seasons out of them so it was time anyways. I went with 1 year old used 12v deep cycle sealed golf cart batteries as described above. They are the same exact size as my kinetics, but have a lot less amp/hr rating. I use them as starting/audio batteries. I just use one battery one day, and one the next. If I ever run one down low enough to not start my boat, which has never happened, then I would just switch to the other battery to start, then switch back to charge it up. They work awesome as starting batteries. I got mine for $80 each with core exchange, paid cash, so no tax, = $160 for both, with a 6 month warranty (one year warranty if they were new, but new price is about $200-250 each battery). I have had good luck with "used - refurbished" batteries in my toys.

• Like 2

Due to this thread, I picked up a SMR29 today to replace the stock SMR24 that was dead. Now I have to go find a bigger box to fit it in and get it mounted and make sure it is charged up tonight before I use the boat tomorrow.

When looking at the battery, look at its aH = Amp Hours. You will find most of the common 12V Batteries that are worth looking at are around 200-250. The more aH the battery has the more time you give yourself with the boat off and stereo on (in theory). ;)

Due to this thread, I picked up a SMR29 today to replace the stock SMR24 that was dead. Now I have to go find a bigger box to fit it in and get it mounted and make sure it is charged up tonight before I use the boat tomorrow.

so most of the time they will try to sell you a group 31 box for a group 29. It's huge. But if you can find a group 27 box, it will fit like a glove. The Group 29 will definitely fit inside a group 27 box. I'm using this one: http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Powerhouse/PH13035.html (but only because I couldn't find one locally... no particular endorsement of the etrailer box)

so most of the time they will try to sell you a group 31 box for a group 29. It's huge. But if you can find a group 27 box, it will fit like a glove. The Group 29 will definitely fit inside a group 27 box. I'm using this one: http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Powerhouse/PH13035.html (but only because I couldn't find one locally... no particular endorsement of the etrailer box)

i concur that a g-27 box will work.