Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'99 Response LX Whats it worth? What to look out for!?

ahurtinalbertan

I am looking into this boat this weekend as possibly our first boat. We have always been behind the family MasterCraft 205, but I have to admit I know nothing about the LX. Its in my pricve range and I know it has a good reputation for quality, wake and handling......

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/calgary/1999-malibu-response-lx/1070648714?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

What should I look out for?

What should I check for?

What should it come with or not?

What do you think would be a first offer?

Thanks in advance,

A long time lurker......... Spent a lot of time on the MC site, maybe I'll be hanging out here more?

If this can be of any help... I just bought a (Correct Craft) Ski Nautique 1999 with 340 hours. Also on Kijiji but in Quebec. The boat is in mint condition. Not to start a brand feud, but in my opinion for those years Nautiques were built with superior quality than Bu so should sell for more (I would not say so today, but for late 90's - early 00' ski boats if you ever have a chance to compare, you'll see what I mean). Anyhow, I got it for 16,500 CAD$ with a trailer. I think I stole it.

Edited by Santa

She look very clean! I will say I do not fallow pricing on our boats and know they can very from one part of the country to the next. Should be a very nice ski tug if that's what you are looking for. Might be a little steep but not sure.

I love the Nautique 196 I ski one two or three times a week. It is well made but we have spent much more time fixing issues on it then our Bu's . But like anything one is not a good representation and its still an outstanding ski tug. It is also a second owner boat so don't know its history before 06.

The LX is a solid boat with very good wakes. The LXI does have a flatter slalom wake but was introduced in '03. Things to check on for the LX you are looking at would be if it has the dreaded HDS box. If yes, check for leaks and if has been repaired. There are several posts on this site going over the issues. Other than that and I am not sure if the 99 still had it, the LX is a very solid boat. Not real current on prices, that one seems on the high side but it has really low hours and looks very clean and nice in the ad. The LX handles great and is very nimble, the slalom wakes are a step better than the MC 205 in my opinion. The LX is one of the better barefoot boats so if slalom and footing are high on your list, it is one of the best choices available.

Thanks so much. I believe it does have an HDS. At least that's what the brochure for the years says.

Furthermore the keel looks like the driveshaft disappears through an ovalular hole in the keel- much different than our PS205 so I'm assuming that's proof as it is soooo different.

I'll look close when I look tomorrow. Thanks so much. I have heard good things about these little boats ski wise :) And if it's any better than the PS205 it should be a treat.