Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing Capability

Soon2BV

Ok, my question should fall into where this topic has led. My tow vehicle a Toyota Highlander (que gasp) sags a couple inches when hooked up. I've compensetated with an adjustable hitch that raises the trailer to level behind the vehicle. I haven't experienced steering or braking issues with it like this, but my rear brake pads are wearing quicker than the front(coincidence?). I was planning on beefing up the rear shocks this winter. Should I really be looking at a WDH system?

WDH, jounce stop (Timbren or Sumo), air helpers, etc. are your best options. HD shocks will ride stiffer but unless they are specifically designed to be self-leveling using internal valving they will not help sag. Some vehicles include these as OEM for their tow packages.

What year Highlander?

My half ton sags a couple inches when I put my boat on it, that is how suspensions work. Unless you are banging off the bump stops then I wouldn't do anything unless you have handling problems and are within the tow rating.

Ok, my question should fall into where this topic has led. My tow vehicle a Toyota Highlander (que gasp) sags a couple inches when hooked up. I've compensetated with an adjustable hitch that raises the trailer to level behind the vehicle. I haven't experienced steering or braking issues with it like this, but my rear brake pads are wearing quicker than the front(coincidence?). I was planning on beefing up the rear shocks this winter. Should I really be looking at a WDH system?

:shocked: How often/far do you tow? I think you need more than a WDH, I think you need a different tow vehicle altogether. I'm sure under normal circumstances and driving you can get by alright, albeit prematurely wearing out several components of your vehicle, but I don't think I'd continue using a highlander to tow your boat. You've got to be well over the towing capacity, no?

Depending on year and options Highlander is rated up to 5k.

'01 VLX is listed in resources as 2900 dry. Plus ~1k trailer leaves ~1k+/- for fluids, gear, and people.

But as per usual around here, better buy a 1 ton diesel...you know, just to be safe.

• Like 3

LOL. I'm not necessarily saying it can't tow it, nor that he shouldn't tow it. I'm more thinking about a ~15ft vehicle towing a ~25ft long trailer, just don't want to see any tail wagging the dog.

LOL. I'm not necessarily saying it can't tow it, nor that he shouldn't tow it. I'm more thinking about a ~15ft vehicle towing a ~25ft long trailer, just don't want to see any tail wagging the dog.

I think you would be surprised at how big a highlander is. They weigh over 2 tons

Edited by oldjeep

My wife drives a Highlander V6. Very very torquey V6.

I wish I had bought her the 4cyl, she makes me sick when she drives the way it yanks forward from anything but a very soft foot on the pedal

If you tow once a year each way and it is a short distance you may try it. But it isn't the safest choice.

If it was me, I would be shopping for a bigger vehicle, better tow rating, 8 cylinders and much better brakes......

If you tow once a year each way and it is a short distance you may try it. But it isn't the safest choice.

If it was me, I would be shopping for a bigger vehicle, better tow rating, 8 cylinders and much better brakes......

You mean an F150?

Wow, a lot of people really underestimate a Highlander. My boat is a '01 vlx and its sitting on a single axle trailer. It is not a new heavy wave maker. Fully loaded its under the 5k towing capacity of the vehicle. My '12 Highlander has AWD, tow package with factory trans cooler, factory hitch installed behind bumper not below like aftermarket. I normally trailer to one of a dozen lakes within 25 miles, but on numerous occasions over 300 miles to a lake in MN my bother has a house on. On the longer trips I keep it right around 70 mph on the hwy and have averaged anywhere between 13-17 mpg depending on wind. It has never lacked power when needed, braking when needed, and has never been pushed or swayed. It's a Toyota engine so it doesn't need a turbo to make up for a lack of power?. I drive a 1500 4WD for work everyday. It's all beefed up for plowing and I hate towing with that POS. It has no power, bounces like crazy no matter the trailer, and brakes like crap. Yes a $60k plus tow rig may do better but I needed a vehicle that could do it all for $30k and I'm happy with choice.

Back to my question. I just wanted to have the vehicle more level when towing and wondered if a WDH could be worth looking in to.

Wow, a lot of people really underestimate a Highlander. My boat is a '01 vlx and its sitting on a single axle trailer. It is not a new heavy wave maker. Fully loaded its under the 5k towing capacity of the vehicle. My '12 Highlander has AWD, tow package with factory trans cooler, factory hitch installed behind bumper not below like aftermarket. I normally trailer to one of a dozen lakes within 25 miles, but on numerous occasions over 300 miles to a lake in MN my bother has a house on. On the longer trips I keep it right around 70 mph on the hwy and have averaged anywhere between 13-17 mpg depending on wind. It has never lacked power when needed, braking when needed, and has never been pushed or swayed. It's a Toyota engine so it doesn't need a turbo to make up for a lack of power. I drive a 1500 4WD for work everyday. It's all beefed up for plowing and I hate towing with that POS. It has no power, bounces like crazy no matter the trailer, and brakes like crap. Yes a $60k plus tow rig may do better but I needed a vehicle that could do it all for $30k and I'm happy with choice.

Back to my question. I just wanted to have the vehicle more level when towing and wondered if a WDH could be worth looking in to.

If it were me and your not having any handling issues, I'd just run it the way it is. One of the main reasons for running a WD hitch is to improve handling/braking. Since you do not have this problem, you could use air bags or shocks (not HD shocks, they won't lift the rear).

I think the rear brakes wearing quicker is coincidence.

One way to judge towing capability is consider if you would feel safe sharing the road with someone with same setup and you have your family with you.

I'm more concerned with the driver than any generic assessment of the tow rig. Any monkey with 60k can buy a one ton and still be a hazard.

My wife drives a Highlander V6. Very very torquey V6.

I wish I had bought her the 4cyl, she makes me sick when she drives the way it yanks forward from anything but a very soft foot on the pedal

I had a Dodge Intrepid with this same problem, tip-in was way too aggressive. Had to be very gentle. Had another one a couple years newer, it didn't have the problem. Difference was, they went from 2 throttle bodies down to 1 (same engine).

Edited by MadMan

I tow my A20 with a 2011 Honda Pilot. That SUV is actually not a bad tow vehicle. The dual axle brakes on the trailer sure help, but it stops well, has reasonable power, never sways. Towed my boat 3 hours to a lake and it never skipped a beat at all.

Wow, a lot of people really underestimate a Highlander. My boat is a '01 vlx and its sitting on a single axle trailer. It is not a new heavy wave maker. Fully loaded its under the 5k towing capacity of the vehicle. My '12 Highlander has AWD, tow package with factory trans cooler, factory hitch installed behind bumper not below like aftermarket. I normally trailer to one of a dozen lakes within 25 miles, but on numerous occasions over 300 miles to a lake in MN my bother has a house on. On the longer trips I keep it right around 70 mph on the hwy and have averaged anywhere between 13-17 mpg depending on wind. It has never lacked power when needed, braking when needed, and has never been pushed or swayed. It's a Toyota engine so it doesn't need a turbo to make up for a lack of power. I drive a 1500 4WD for work everyday. It's all beefed up for plowing and I hate towing with that POS. It has no power, bounces like crazy no matter the trailer, and brakes like crap. Yes a $60k plus tow rig may do better but I needed a vehicle that could do it all for $30k and I'm happy with choice.

Why not get airbags or different shocks?

The suspension is soft probably so it says. Might try airbags. I was thinking wdh just lifts or lightens the actual contact point of trailer onto hitch so it does not break balls. Don't know for sure though.

A number of vehicles I have driven with drive by wire have that yanking effect while older cable throttle has a better feel.

Some of these weights being tossed around are a bit high and low.

- SV23 hulled boat may be listed as 2900lbs dry, but its a lot more than that. I'd venture in the 3500-3700lb range from my research

- 2000lbs for a dual axle trailer on a 21' boat is high. 1200-1500 max

- An '08 21 footer, maybe 4000-4500lbs.

So basically, the OP with trailer/boat, is looking at 6000lbs plus people/gear. Assuming 3 additional passengers @ 200 each, that puts you at 6800lbs. Gear can weigh a few hundred lbs for sure, but let's be real here.

Some of these weights being tossed around are a bit high and low.- SV23 hulled boat may be listed as 2900lbs dry, but its a lot more than that. I'd venture in the 3500-3700lb range from my research- 2000lbs for a dual axle trailer on a 21' boat is high. 1200-1500 max- An '08 21 footer, maybe 4000-4500lbs.So basically, the OP with trailer/boat, is looking at 6000lbs plus people/gear. Assuming 3 additional passengers @ 200 each, that puts you at 6800lbs. Gear can weigh a few hundred lbs for sure, but let's be real here.

Ha! They must have lightened up the 21 footer since 05 then. Mine came in closer to 5k with hardly any gear in it.

I run air bags in the rear coils on my Avalanche. Definitely makes a difference when you're loaded.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

A WDH will help with leveling the truck and trailer load. My major question would be the brakes on the trailer. If it has surge brakes, not sure how that would work with a WDH. I think the bars on the WDH would keep the trailer frame from sliding, which is what engages the brakes. If you have electric brakes (or none), then i think it would help.

here are some interesting photos -

post-7974-0-61683300-1445207299_thumb.jp

post-7974-0-91347300-1445207310_thumb.gi

Ha! They must have lightened up the 21 footer since 05 then. Mine came in closer to 5k with hardly any gear in it.

I run air bags in the rear coils on my Avalanche. Definitely makes a difference when you're loaded.

That's 5k with trailer, which is probably 1300lbs.

I never saw a need for air bags. I just got back from a trip with her as loaded as I would ever go, going through the hills of TN and KY with no feel of needing air bags, the Av sat fairly flat.

A WDH will help with leveling the truck and trailer load. My major question would be the brakes on the trailer. If it has surge brakes, not sure how that would work with a WDH. I think the bars on the WDH would keep the trailer frame from sliding, which is what engages the brakes. If you have electric brakes (or none), then i think it would help.

here are some interesting photos -

There are surge compatible wdh, just need to buy one that is.

WDH will absolutely help with leveling the tow vehicle. That's the main function of a WDH. Transfers ~30-40% of the trailer tongue weight to the front tires if your tow vehicle.

Just need to ensure the WDH you are looking at is a surge brake compatable WDH.

Edited by nyryan2001