Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
triscadek

Amp smell ok?

triscadek

So when I crank up that stereo pretty good I get an electrical smell from under the dash where the sub and three Amos are. This ok? I figured it was just getting hot from working hard. All the Amos are only 2 months old with little use.

MLA

Can you disable the other amps and just run the sub to see if the smell is from sub?

triscadek

I can disable the the one for the tower. Sub won't run without the amp for the cabin speakers on. I can kill the sub and see if it's still there. Likely the sub itself?

MLA

Pull the RCAs that fee the full range chnls so just the sub plays.

triscadek

Ahhh doh lol.

David

Most often that distinctive smell is the overheating/melting/burning of the enamel coating that insulates the voice coil (in the sub or speaker) or transformer (in the amplifier) windings from other windings.

It's an indication that damage is being done which will lead to an eventual failure.

triscadek

It doesn't take a whole lot to get it to smell.

1100 watt mono amp to two 720peak subs

jk13

What model amp, what ohm load subs and how is it wired?