Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer hitch sloppy in the receiver and clunks around alot-- any thoughts?

mtnbkr738

Hi All,

I bought a ball mount with a couple inch rise. It clunks around alot in the receiver when im pulling my boat...ie when we stop or start there just seems to be some slop.

Its not alot of slop...but enough to create a "clunk" sound when stopping and starting.

I've put on my old ball mount (that didnt have enough rise on it for my trailer) and its as quiet as a church mouse.

so, any way to prevent that slop? I dont really want to buy a different brand...but wondering if there are shims or someway to make the ball mount to fit in the hitch receiver better.

Any thoughts?

thx

Assuming your receiver, drawbar and pin are all the same size hole then it sounds like you bought a crappy draw bar. You cant fix inferior or defective, the slop will wallow out the pin hole and get worse over time. What brand is the one with issues?

Edited by oldjeep

I've always had a very small amount of noise regardless of what hitch I use in the reciever. Many folks wouldn't even notice.

What has worked well for me is to wrap some electrical tape around the front and back of the hitch. That really seems to resolve any of the metal on metal noise on stops/starts.

Mtn, I fought slop and clank issues on mine for a while. I tried wrapping in tape as a shim, but with the forces I there it eats through it quick and they return.

I bought a ball mount that has anti-rattle spring loaded balls that keep constant pressure.... No noises ever except the normal trailer receiver movement and action.

is it the fit of the bar, or the fit of the pin? if the hole in the bar is oversized, or your pin is undersized, then you are getting that noise and putting a hit on the pin with every start and stop. That is easy to measure and compare the three 4 pieces (pin, hole in receiver, hole in both bars). If the pin is tight and it is the bar size, then a small shim on the top of the bar will keep it from moving up and down.

It might not be the receiver clunking, it could be the surge brakes working now that the trailer is level. If the trailer is "nose down" it can apply the brakes.

Its the cheapy draw bar...

I know the surge brakes will cluck alittle...but since i got this new draw bar...its a sloppy fit...i can wiggle it easily with my hand... the receiver on the van is name brand and its only 2 yrs old...

im thinking of laying a bead of weld across the draw bar...and then grind the weld down till its a decent fit into the receiver

ugh..i just dont want to buy a new draw bar.

that clamp idea would be nice...but i switch draw bars for my different trailers all the time so that would be a pain.

thx everyone!

I've got now noise whatsoever out of that Anderson hitch. Take Oldjeep's reco on that one.

Had mine forever and it looks like they finally fixed my one complaint. The locking pins are now stainless and aluminum instead of chrome steel. Just ordered a set, as my current adjuster lock is rusting again.

Had mine forever and it looks like they finally fixed my one complaint. The locking pins are now stainless and aluminum instead of chrome steel. Just ordered a set, as my current adjuster lock is rusting again.

I've got those on my Amazon wish list. There more of a nice to have for me since the hitch is only on the truck when it's connected to the trailer.

There are a 100 different devices that go around your receiver & sort of lock them in place to reduce the slop & knocking. Usually any auto parts store will have them. Or Google it.

The one I have looks kinda like this.

m4o5IzhES_D-QbX6AnuPSuQ.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Hi All,

I bought a ball mount with a couple inch rise. It clunks around alot in the receiver when im pulling my boat...ie when we stop or start there just seems to be some slop.

Its not alot of slop...but enough to create a "clunk" sound when stopping and starting.

I've put on my old ball mount (that didnt have enough rise on it for my trailer) and its as quiet as a church mouse.

so, any way to prevent that slop? I dont really want to buy a different brand...but wondering if there are shims or someway to make the ball mount to fit in the hitch receiver better.

Any thoughts?

thx

There's a quick fix for this to stop the rattling. All you have to do is purchase an anti rattle system. Hitchweb sells them here: Anti-Rattle Receiver Locks

They come in 1-1/4" and 2" sizes. Hope this helps!

check the pin/new ball mount holes before doing a bunch of stuff, I purchased a new ball mount and the holes were a little larger than they should have been and had this exact issue...drove me nuts both times I towed like this.

Anyone ever try welding a bolt on top and side of receiver.?

Seems like this would be the simple and easy fix???

i kind of like the looks of that approach.

imagine there is enough wall thickness that you could get away with punching a hole and tapping it without any welding.

i may have to give this a try.

I've always had a very small amount of noise regardless of what hitch I use in the reciever. Many folks wouldn't even notice.

What has worked well for me is to wrap some electrical tape around the front and back of the hitch. That really seems to resolve any of the metal on metal noise on stops/starts.

I have done this a number of times. Works great!