Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Impeller Puller

I decided to make this a new topic, so the link will be easier to search for in the future.

It is obviously a hassle to pull an impeller, unless you have the right tool.

You can save yourself this hassle by buying a stainless steel impeller puller for $28.69 (sea-dog small) from boatfix.com. Click on catalog page for pic.

It worked like a dream, put it in, tighten the knobs and puller the impeller out. It took me 5 minutes on my v-drive. No scrapes, no scratches, no sweat.

The above impeller puller looks sweet, and your experience with it is quite impressive however for the guy that doesn't have the forward thinking to order one up and needs to remove an impeller the following works quite well.

Poor Man's Impeller Puller:

1 can WD-40 $1.97 (small can)

2 pair of needle nose pliers ($2.97 each at wal-mart)

Total = You probably have the stuff already otherwise it'll cost ya $7.91

needle_nose_small.jpg

The above impeller puller looks sweet, and your experience with it is quite impressive however for the guy that doesn't have the forward thinking to order one up and needs to remove an impeller the following works quite well.

maybe that works for a dd, but not so much on a vd. i tried that method without success because i did not have the aforementioned forward thinking. I ordered the puller, 4 days later i finished the project.

what is the length of the T on that. it almost looks like it might not work on a DD, because of the ski pole

you are right, we tried it on a friends dd, and it would not work with the "T" attached. He had to take the "T" off and just pulled it out by hand.

How right you are - but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Biggrin.gif

Just last Saturday I was trying to change my impeller (preventive maintenence) and this time is was stuck good. I was just about to remove the whole housing when a buddy came up with some generic wd40. Bingo - job done.