Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Are we over weighting surfgate boats?

Fman

My wife asked me about "The Placard" this weekend as I was installing my new pnp bags. I told her, the factory ballast is already figured into their math so we are fine..

Funny, had my dad, who does not swim, out with us this weekend and the wife and I were getting ready to surf. I was filling the ballast and he ask me what we were waiting on. I explained the pumping of water in the boat through the hard tanks and bags and approximately how much weight was coming on. He leaned over looked and the placard and said worryingly won't we be over capacity. I told him not a problem unless I turn too quickly when some falls and take a couple rollers over the bow.

I'm thinking about purchasing the Ronix 550's. They only have a single port on top, which would be used for an air release plug (burping the bag). Does anyone have experience with using one of the lower ports for the fill line? Does it work well?

I have the Eight.3 550lbs bags in the lockers and they fill fine. Nothing to compare it against, but no complaints.

I did re-do the drain hoses as the standard ones are too short, and I wanted the bags pushed all the way back against the transom.

Edited by randv

Correct, my gates are totally submerged and I see no problem. I think most have seen my videos. Here is a video from a couple of weeks ago, you can see the water rushing over the gate in the lower left of the screen, it sure doesn't seem to be affecting the wave at all.

That gal has some mad skills!!!

Edited by Cory
  • Like 2

Correct, my gates are totally submerged and I see no problem. I think most have seen my videos. Here is a video from a couple of weeks ago, you can see the water rushing over the gate in the lower left of the screen, it sure doesn't seem to be affecting the wave at all.

Ray Ray,

How fast are you going there?

RayRay, how many hours on your 13? No issues running heavy? Refresh me, what was your weight configuration?

We are at about 310 hours with no issues to speak of and all we do is surf. I am Afun's mentor if you don't remember, he is just a little more vocal on the crew than myself :biggrin:. We run custom enzo style sacs on both sides and a 750 in the bow.

Edited by RayRay
  • Like 2

We are at about 310 hours with no issues to speak of and all we do is surf. I am Afun's mentor if you don't remember, he is just a little more vocal on the crew than myself :biggrin:. We run custom enzo style sacs on both sides and a 750 in the bow.

I still say you make the best videos " Hands Down " out there. Once again, thanks for all your help....Good Peoples

And a 350' right?

Yes

RayRay, is your wedge all the way down? Kinda hard to tell in the video. Thanks!

Yes wedge is all the way down in the video. I will run one or two clicks up sometimes when I am surfing.

Last weekend we ran factory full and 900s in the lockers with 4 adults in the back. Nothing but factory in the bow at 10.8 - 11mph and I felt the wave was better than the usual running additional bow weight. Sorry for the bad pic I screen shot it from my wife's friends Facebook video. They where filming from there VLX

DA0C4E37-EA39-4B95-8794-A83B6C09F862_zps

Edited by ktrent

Here is a picture of my wave on my VTX I think its pretty solid, but wondering if you guys think tweaking anything could help it, My set up full MLS, wedge 2 clicks up, 10.8, 540's in rear lockers, 650 in bow, 600 bag in cabin, maybe 1/4 full. 4 people.

If I speed up what should I expect just longer wave, should the sweet spot lengthen out at 11, 11.2 11.4

post-25460-0-78643100-1434655490_thumb.j

Had a lot of time to dial the new 22 at Shasta, I can confirm running the 2 825 about 1/2 to 3/4 full and we never added the 600 bow bag we always had 3 people wanting to sit up front, My conclusion with my set up, More weight does not equal better and bigger wave on either side, I think about 500 per side PNP with full Factory tanks and wedge at 2 clicks up from lift was awesome, I will save Fuel and engine stress going lighter,

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

Im new to the forum....

Ive got a 2014 VTX 350ss with a H.A. prop (15x14.5) which i believe is the `1235``.

boat seems good when only two adults and 3-4 kids but when i put 5 adults in the boat i cannot go 100% wedge and fill centre and one side unless i load the bow because the boat will not reach much over 9mph. Anyone else experience this problem,, i was thinking of going to the 1615 which is 14.5x13.75 as recommended by the ACME rep or the old 1215 (15x12) which seems to be favored by many here. Any help is much appreciated.

Edited by kherzog

I have been experimenting with surfgate last couple times out. Our typical weight was 800's in rear lockers, 650 lb bow bag, hard tanks and wedge at 10.6 mph. The wave seems nice and fun...last time out I ran no bow bag, put two people in the bow, filled rear bags about 80%, hard tanks full, wedge 2-3 clicks and I really could not tell any difference between the two configurations. At least it felt the same riding them on goofy side. The boat feels better, easier to drive, etc...

So, million dollar question, does surfgate need all this extra weight? Are we just burning extra fuel and filling extra bags for no reason? Has anyone else played around with lighter weight set ups?

Never run bow bag maybe a anchor or folded up tube in bow. 900 filled all the way seems to much run port full but back off on the starboard bag. Hards filled all the way, about 10.6 maybe one to two clicks up on wedge.

Had a lot of time to dial the new 22 at Shasta, I can confirm running the 2 825 about 1/2 to 3/4 full and we never added the 600 bow bag we always had 3 people wanting to sit up front, My conclusion with my set up, More weight does not equal better and bigger wave on either side, I think about 500 per side PNP with full Factory tanks and wedge at 2 clicks up from lift was awesome, I will save Fuel and engine stress going lighter,

Maybe malibu did there homework...don't they come with 550's in each locker from factory? (When ordering pnp with bags)

Maybe malibu did there homework...don't they come with 550's in each locker from factory? (When ordering pnp with bags)

Mine didn't come with anything and I have PnP. Maybe I should have asked? When I have enough people on the boat, I don't have to use the bow sac. However most of the time I am with my kids and they weigh next to nothing. I need the extra weight to get the proper wave. I even notice a difference in the wave when I am surfing and not on the boat driving.

I ran the sumo 650 bag in the bow for the 1st time yesterday and noticed a solid improvement. i only ran about 3/4 full and still don't have it quite dialed as the additional weight in the bow had me playing with adjustments on the wedge and speed and we only a a group of 4 .

here is a not so great video with a not so great camera angle, and a failed 360, but you get the point...