Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What is thi....and how do I get rid of it?!?!?

So, having a little problem with a brown something appearing along the seams and hinge of the sunpad on my VLX. Doesn't wipe or scrub off, resists even Magic Eraser, seat soaps, etc. Anyone have experience within something like this?

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/ExLonghorn/library/Boat%20Vinyl%20Pics?sort=3&page=1

Edited by exlonghorn
Adding link for pictures

First note: NO MAGIC ERASER! The guys at Malibu warn about this, it's like taking an eraser to paper... Too much and you'll burn right through the vinyl.

Now, on to the brown "stain" you're seeing.

* Does it disappear in in the sun, after a few hours of direct sunlight?

* Does it only appear after the boat has been in storage an covered, allowing heat to build up under the cover?

* Is the cover a dark material (black, brown, blue, etc.) or is it gray, tan, or white?

* Is there any smell to the stain?

There was a known issue a few years ago ('06+ I believe) where the glue used between the vinyl and the foam would discolor the vinyl due to outgassing. The solution was to not allow heat to build up under the cover an to vent the vinyl in sunlight to "bleach" it out. Hopefully this is just a remnant of winter storage and you're back to "clean" after it's been uncovered for a few days.

It's a 2011, so no warranty.

* Does it disappear in in the sun, after a few hours of direct sunlight?

No, I've had regular mildew and it does disappear with an hour or two in the sun. This stuff has stuck around for a year.

* Does it only appear after the boat has been in storage an covered, allowing heat to build up under the cover?

It actually appeared last summer...hasn't progressed or gotten better. I currently keep it under a storage awning, without any boat cover. Prior to that, I did have the cover on for a fair amount of time last summer. For the first 3 years, it was garage kept with no issues.

* Is the cover a dark material (black, brown, blue, etc.) or is it gray, tan, or white?

The cover is the factory black Malibu cover.

* Is there any smell to the stain?

No. It's durability is what shocks me. It literally will not scrub off. I have been careful to not damage the vinyl, but every vinyl-safe remedy I've tried hasn't worked. The fact that it tracks right along the seams is suspicious to me...and it's not present anywhere else on the boat, which is interesting.

Edited by exlonghorn

It does disappear in direct sunlight. No amount of any cleaner or elbow grease will remove it. I MO the cover reacts with the upholstery or something because it will not show up if its not covered. I found it only changes color where the cover actually touches the upholstery. I tried putting a white towel down between the cover and the upholstery and that helped... towel not ideal but a white surface that repels water would work best. once it starts it doesn't get better, only worse. there is no odor. I did research a few years back when this appeared on my boat and best I can tell it is a living organism, but who knows. best advise I can give is to close your eyes when you uncover the boat and hope the sun is out. walk away for a few hours then open your eyes.

Had the exact same stains as pictured on my 2009 Wakesetter. In my case, it does not disappear even if the boat is left in the sun for days. It is not due to having a cover on the boat, as I do not use a cover (boat is stored inside in a marina). It can not be removed with any cleaner of any type I have found - they don't even touch it. It is always sandy brown in color. It always has involved the crème color light pebble finish upholstery, and has not invaded any other color or texture. It is not where something has been spilled on the upholstery, as it has happened in totally random unconnected areas, where there is almost no passenger exposure. The upholstery guy I took it to had no idea what it might be. It appears to permeate all the way through the material, and really does not even look like just a surface stain. It is random, and appears in small, seemingly unrelated spots.

I don't know what it is. My guess would be that it is some sort of outgassing/glue/upholstery fiber issue. Not sure why it would just appear in random seeming, small spots, but mine did the same thing.

One of the places it occurred on my boat is the exact same as yours - along the hinged side of the back engine swim deck cover. That would make me think it might be use of poor stainless steel hinges or screws, that were rusting. However, I also have it on one of my front bow cushions that is not hinged, and has no screws.

Would love to hear it if you figure out anything. The only solution I have found is re-upholstery.

Edited by malibudog

Thanks malibudog, it sounds like you've definitely encountered the same thing. Figure I'll get it reupholstered during the next off-season. Might find a 2014 23 LSV someone is willing to part with by then :)

I have the same thing. I was told it was sun burn on the vinyl...fwiw...may want to soak everything in 303

You do know that 303 isn't a cleaner, right? It's "sunscreen for your stuff".

This is a pretty well documented problem and no amount of scrubbing will clear it up. Sunshine will kill it. Heat & moisture will make it come back.

• Like 2

I apologize for saying soak. Yes it's sunscreen, and his vinyl has sunburn, hence saying to use the 303 to protect the rest of the vinyl and boat

Yea, I don't think it needs sunscreen as much as a fungus killer. Malibu has said its in the adhesive under the vinyl. And gets activated by heat & moisture.

That said, I'm all for using 303. It'll more likely keep the vinyl from drying out or cracking, fading, etc.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I bought new skins for my boat and installed them myself. Where I'm going with this is I had to remove the old skins which had the same stains. The only place on the boat that had these stains were the rear hatches. The rear hatches had plastic wrap over the foam and then the skins. When someone gets out of the water and stands on the back hatches water drips on the vinyl and runs down the sides.

Over time the plastic had pulled back from the edges leaving the vinyl and the foam touching. Every time you open the rear hatches the water would pool in the vinyl on the edges of the hatches. The stain is from water stains leeching through the vinyl. It was very obvious when I removed the old skins. If it were glue or gas it would be in the vinyl on other places but it only happened on the outer edges of the hatches. You can't remove it because the stain goes all the way through the vinyl.

You do know that 303 isn't a cleaner, right? It's "sunscreen for your stuff".

This is a pretty well documented problem and no amount of scrubbing will clear it up. Sunshine will kill it. Heat & moisture will make it come back.

You know that there is both a 303 cleaner and a 303 protectant right?