Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Suggestion on what Knife to keep on the boat?

I got this one, but in black, and it was only $18 when I purchased it. Stainless steel with a plastic sheath, both serrated and straight blades, a guthook-like cutout, and sharp tip. I tied some 550 paracord on it for a lanyard. Fortunately have never had to use it but seems like it should cover all rope situations and I don't care about dropping an $18 knife if I lose it.

http://www.amazon.com/McNett-Samish-Tactical-Field-Coyote/dp/B00TL6CINQ/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2W5S7QQ83H36V

For those that like multi tools - Woot has the Gerber Bullrush today for $35. Niot a bad option since it has a serated blade and a gut hook. Only multi-tool ive seen that includes the gut hook.

c937d11b-6f40-473d-8cde-7b79ac2e9f60.jpg

No way am I diving under a boat with a $150 knife. Heck, I'd be pissed if I lost a $30 knife. I use victorinox paring knives. You can get them under $4 a piece from restaurant supply places. They are super sharp. If you lose one, no big deal (I keep 5 on the boat). As a bonus, they are great for cleaning fish.

What ever sharp knife my favorite restaurant puts on my table. Actually I have a Leatherman clone and dive mask.

I have a Gerber multi tool in my boat. I have never used it for any rope and I have had my share around the prop in 20 years. Before you just jump in and start cutting get underneath and un wrap it. My daughter went over my brand new slalom rope last year and wrapped it right up to the handle. It took me a long time but was finally able to free it and have it as a back up

I keep a cheap folding serrated knife on the boat along with a dive mask. I have had to use them several times.

I think I picked up the knife at Big Five Sports. They are always having good sales on knives.

Over Kill? Amazon $56.00

91JrfobInML._SL1500_.jpg

This looks like nice game cleaning kit!!

You can also keep an eye out on Steep and Cheap, they are always putting up knives from SOG, Benchmade, CRKT etc usually at half price. Picked up a nice SOG Field Pup the other day for $25 from them.

MalibuNation

The largest lake I boat on is 2,600 acres and always close enough to shore that if I drop the knife I can find it. I might need to do some paddling and/or let the waves and wind push me closer. The shallower water near shore makes it so much easier to remove the rope. So I don't worry about the knife going to Davey Jones's Locker.

toddthelineman shared a Flickr photo with you 20150531_190444 by Todd Champion on Flickr. Just follow this link to see and comment on this photo: https://www.flickr.com/gp/toddthelineman/2h6m27

This is one of the knives I usually keep on the boat. The marlin spike is awesome for getting knots out of ropes. I used to have an antique Buck knife without serrations (I prefer a razor sharp straight edge), but it grew legs

Another great but not cheap knife. Any from Spyderco.com. I love how it is beak shaped which makes if perfect for when the rope is around the drive shaft. Came with a lanyard.

I think I compete with Pistol Pete as far as having a backup to a backup ...

I carry diagonal pliers ... tin snips.

Spydercos are really nice. I've lost a couple of them. Bought my dad a Spyderco multi tool that I've never seen anywhere else. It's awesome but he just keeps it on display

toddthelineman shared a Flickr photo with you 20150531_190444 by Todd Champion on Flickr. Just follow this link to see and comment on this photo: https://www.flickr.com/gp/toddthelineman/2h6m27

This is one of the knives I usually keep on the boat. The marlin spike is awesome for getting knots out of ropes. I used to have an antique Buck knife without serrations (I prefer a razor sharp straight edge), but it grew legs

I really like this option, and the spike idea. Try to save a rope with the spike first then cut if needed. A lot of suggestion to make sure it has a serrated blade. I have never sharpen a serrated blade can this be done? If so how.

I really like this option, and the spike idea. Try to save a rope with the spike first then cut if needed. A lot of suggestion to make sure it has a serrated blade. I have never sharpen a serrated blade can this be done? If so how.

Spyderco makes a ceramic sharpening system for serrated blades. it works for straight edges too. I have one. It works, but you will lose the pointedness of the teeth.