Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Suggestion on what Knife to keep on the boat?

Anyone have a good knife option to keep on the boat with a wrist lanyard? Had to help a boat out that had a tube rope wrapped around his prop. Did not have a good knife on board to help. Made me think if this happens to us what would we do. Need to get a better one, and the Crew would know what to get..

From what I have seen (had it happen once to me) those ropes can get stretched so tight that they feel more like a 1/2" roll of plastic around the prop. So I keep a hacksaw in my tool kit instead of a knife.

Because overkill is always fun! (j/k...I just use a basic sharp knife) You can see a plethora of options on bladeops.com

post-5643-0-94307000-1432743092_thumb.jp

Edited by DIE2SURF
martinarcher

Leatherman Charge. Pricey for a "knife" but so much more. Mine has bailed me out of countless situations. I go nowhere without it. It has a sharp SV230 stainless standard blade as well as a SV230 serrated blade with a gut hook on it that is pretty awesome for cutting zip ties or rope.

Other than the knife functionality, it a great wire cutter/stripper, has interchangeable bits, scissors, can opener, ect.

http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-Charge-Multi-Tool-Leather-Sheath/dp/B0031Q8N40

• Like 2

For larger diameter ropes like tube ropes a serated blade is what you want. For thinner wakeboarding line, I have found that a gut hook works great. So any decent serrated blade with a guthook and a rubber gripped handle.

ETA - I dont use that benchmade below, although I wish I had one. The one I keep in the boat I found on clearance at Walmart or Acedmy for like $15. Has a lanyard hole in the handle that I added some paracord too that i can slip over my wrist.

549426.jpg

Edited by chris4x4gill2

Had this happen once, no knife and no other boats about, dived under about six times and freed it by hand, I was about 70 back then.

Benchmade makes a couple variations of shroud cutters. Basically a gut hook for parachute line with a rounded end to prevent too many Darwin awards from being given away. I have an anodized shorty on the boat for emergencies involving tow ropes. I wouldn't necessarily buy a Benchmade as any manufacturers version will work, but it was a work tool and your tax dollars paid for it. :)

martinarcher

^^ Holy smokes! $150!!!

I know it but I'm telling you if I had to sell all my tools it would be the last one to go. I own two of them and it's the best money I have ever spent. Bought my buddy one for Christmas and I've yet to catch him without it in the last 2.5 years. :lol:

MalibuNation

Another great but not cheap knife. Any from Spyderco.com. I love how it is beak shaped which makes if perfect for when the rope is around the drive shaft. Came with a lanyard.

I think I compete with Pistol Pete as far as having a backup to a backup ...

I carry diagonal pliers ... tin snips.

post-371-0-00859200-1432809058_thumb.jpg

If you didn't have a tube you could have a smaller knife. :)

Its for the other guys tube rope. You know, when I get tired of them doing donuts around my downed rider. :lol:

• Like 3

Over Kill? Amazon $56.00

91JrfobInML._SL1500_.jpg

Wouldnt be my choice for boat duty - its a skinning set. No serrated blade on any of them and if you need that bone saw while in the boat...... well I think you got bigger problems than a rope in the prop. The blades on the gut hook and the skinning knife are both good, - I have the bigger set that includes all three of those but rarely use it - but again I'd try to find one that is partially serrated.