Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

94 echelon trailer is "rough"

Arick

I'll try and take some pictures next time I'm at the boat launch....

There are a lot of rust spots on the trailer and would require a lot of patch work. Thus prompting this post.

Is it cheaper to buy a new trailer or have the old one fixed(guessing it would be hard to find a used one)? I know its dependent on the what shape the current one is in, I would rate my trailer a 3.5-4 out of 10. Fixing the old one would require it to be sand blasted and repainted...

I'll try and take some pictures next time I'm at the boat launch....

There are a lot of rust spots on the trailer and would require a lot of patch work. Thus prompting this post.

Is it cheaper to buy a new trailer or have the old one fixed(guessing it would be hard to find a used one)? I know its dependent on the what shape the current one is in, I would rate my trailer a 3.5-4 out of 10. Fixing the old one would require it to be sand blasted and repainted...

When you say patch work, do you mean there are actual holes in the trailer?

When you say patch work, do you mean there are actual holes in the trailer?

I don't see any holes yet. Some of the bad spots are under the bunks and I really need to take a peek when the boats of the trailer to get an idea of how bad the rust is.

I don't see any holes yet. Some of the bad spots are under the bunks and I really need to take a peek when the boats of the trailer to get an idea of how bad the rust is.

The worst part is probably going to be drain holes in the cross members. They get plugged up with debris, and then water just sits inside them and rusts away. If you are not too bad in that area, then the rest is likely just surface stuff. I had a plate welded to one of my crossmembers for that very reason. Then I wire wheeled the rest of the trailer and rattle canned it. Turned out really well. That was 5 years and several hundred miles ago.

The worst part is probably going to be drain holes in the cross members. They get plugged up with debris, and then water just sits inside them and rusts away. If you are not too bad in that area, then the rest is likely just surface stuff. I had a plate welded to one of my crossmembers for that very reason. Then I wire wheeled the rest of the trailer and rattle canned it. Turned out really well. That was 5 years and several hundred miles ago.

I'll be checking those drain holes tonight! Maybe adding a few more!

I have a close friend that welds, but he just moved 3 hours away. Otherwise I could have this thing in tip top shape!