Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wetsounds 420 install pictures

09vRide

My factory JBL MBB black box is kaput. I'm going to do the 420 BT route and skip a HU given that I don't use a tuner, etc.

I want to put it under the helm left of the steering wheel. Anyone have install pics in a similar location? I'm particularly interested in how to mount it to the dash.

Thanks!!

• Like 1

Probably not the most aesthetically pleasing but here's mine (to the right not left) ...

IMG_1022_zpsziffo1e6.jpg

It actually has a bit of marine ply that extends further 'back' than the rear of the WS420 and the rear end of the marine ply is suspended with a simple metal strap up to a suitable point in the dash structure to support it. The WS is mounted to that...

You can tell where 'start engine' is on the MTC can't you..... who can guess my start code .... ? :)

Edited by Punyelroo

Have you noticed that some of the 420's have a face mounting flange (like mine) and some dont?( Like this one ^) Is that a BT vs SQ thing?

yes. the 420BT is "thicker" and has a much bigger face.

How exactly are those mounting up to the helm?

if you use the WS mounting bracket like MLA posted in the last pic (post #6), there are four screws that run through the bottom of the bracket to mount in the surface above. But on the '14 lsv dash there isn't enough dash real estate to poke through four times and have the EQ reasonably level. So what I did is cut a piece of 3/8" starboard that is the same size as the bracket. The starboard goes on the inside of the bottom of the dash. The front two screws of the bracket (the screws closest to the face of the EQ) penetrate the dash and screw into the starboard piece. The back two screws just screw into the piece of starboard. So far so good... it's pretty solid.

I had mine mounted on the left under the tuner like all the above pics, but I kept catching my knee on it when I would slide in and out of the helm. So I had it moved and flush mounted it on the side where the throttle is, Installer didn't put it where I wanted, so its a little too far forward but its flush in the panel so nothing sticks out. Don't have a pic though, I need to take some this weekend.

I would recommend putting it there if you can, I almost drew blood a couple of times when it was under the tuner.

Dude, that's a nice clean install. How's the sub sound with the new enclosure?

The sub is MUCH improved over the stock RF 12" mounted in the kick plate with no enclosure. The enclosure I built is 1.25 cu.ft. with port size/length as specified by Hertz (I can't remember off hand). I also put the sub on a dedicated amp, a RF 1000-1 which puts out 500W RMS @ 2ohm. You can feel the bass in the boat now.

What really woke the system up was the addition of the 420. Much cleaner sound and much louder too. It must be the preamp voltage output of the 420 that makes all the difference. I'm taking the boat into the stereo shop this weekend to have the system tuned again now that I've made significant changes.

Edited by 09vRide
  • Like 1

The sub is MUCH improved over the stock RF 12" mounted in the kick plate with no enclosure. The enclosure I built is 1.25 cu.ft. with port size/length as specified by Hertz (I can't remember off hand). I also put the sub on a dedicated amp, a RF 1000-1 which puts out 500W RMS @ 2ohm. You can feel the bass in the boat now.

What really woke the system up was the addition of the 420. Much cleaner sound and much louder too. It must be the preamp voltage output of the 420 that makes all the difference. I'm taking the boat into the stereo shop this weekend to have the system tuned again now that I've made significant changes.

Awesome, and agree that the 420's really allow the system to bring it all together. I am taking my setup over to my buddies house this weekend with a case of beer, he does stereo's as a side business and has an amazing system on his own boat (Tige unfortunately). That said, he's going to tune me up and see if we can get more out of the 10in WS sub/enclosure I have right now, it's not really filling out the low end like I want it to. It's running off a Syn6 with two Rev 10's. I'm hoping it just a matter of adjusting the gain's and not problem with the enclosure/sub combo.....

Nice keychain in that last pic...

Good eye! I was wondering how long it would take someone to notice. I got that key chain from my local MC dealer when I had a deposit on a new X2 a number of years ago. In the end I didn't get the X2 and went Malibu instead and never looked back.

That looks clean! I'm looking to do something similar to my new 24 mxz.

How difficult is the wiring with the eq and how hard was it to make the front sub enclosure? It looks better then the once coming out of shops around here

Wiring the eq is very straight forward. Three sets of RCA's to the amps and power, ground, switch wires. Just make sure you use same power/ground as the amps to avoid noise in the system.

Building a sub enclosure is really about how good you are with woodworking tools. It's a simple box with a few holes. The front face wasn't too difficult - most of the angles were 90 degrees. There are lots of resources online for size/vent specifications.