Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Newbie in trouble.

Arkid

Well, here's my first post. It's not what I was expecting it to be as I just bought my first ever boat and was hoping to just post a note to say Hi!

Instead I find my self asking for help after learning my first lesson...

Basically my cover ripped in half the first day I had the boat because I was towing it without it being fastened securely so I find myself looking for a new cover.

The problem is I can't find one which is made to fit with my tower.

The boat is a 2000 Escape 23 LSV. The tower is a Skylon Tuna tower. All the places I've found online that have covers are to go with Skylon Swoop towers.

Is there a possibilty that these two towers could have the same footprint so the cover will fit anyway?

Maybe someone could measure the distance between the base of their Swoop tower where it is fastened to the hull and I could compare that to mine.

I have a picture but not sure how to attach it.

Thanks for any advice or help!

I had a 96 LX with the same tower (I think) and I took mine to a local canvas cover shop and left it with him for a few days. Perfect fit! If you're in San Diego, I can give you a solid referral.

You can also order one that fits your hull (no tower cut outs) and then take it to a local shop and have them fabricate your tower details for you. Just ask your cover supplier for a little extra fabric on your order.

Good Luck

Edited by Greg_S
I had a 96 LX with the same tower (I think) and I took mine to a local canvas cover shop and left it with him for a few days. Perfect fit! If you're in San Diego, I can give you a solid referral.

You can also order one that fits your hull (no tower cut outs) and then take it to a local shop and have them fabricate your tower details for you. Just ask your cover supplier for a little extra fabric on your order.

Good Luck

That's great advice. When you say ask for some extra fabric, do you mean as part of the cover or 'on the side' to add later?

I'm in Santa Clarita about 30 miles North of LA. If any one knows a good upholster in this area that would be great.

Thanks!

You can also check with Cory at Covercrafts to see if he has a template for your boat and then let him know where the tower is located on the boat. Rankin's site has a measuring tool on line to fill in where the legs are located. It shows you how to make your measurements.

Covercrafts does not have a pattern for that boat. Rankin of course, does. Like was mentioned above, any good upholstery shop could modify a "custom fit" mail order cover to fit the tower. A local shop did that for me for $150.00. I am curious if the new Malibu marketed towing cover (discussed in a different thread today) is available with "custom cutouts " for various towers. I think I will call & ask tomorrow as it is priced good.

You can also check with Cory at Covercrafts to see if he has a template for your boat and then let him know where the tower is located on the boat. Rankin's site has a measuring tool on line to fill in where the legs are located. It shows you how to make your measurements.

Can you hook the Arkid up with some links. Sorry I don't have them off the top of my head.

Arkid Welcome to the crew. Being a first time boat owner is hard and you have come the the right place for any help you may need. If you use the search button, you can find out just about any thing you my need.

I really appreciate the advice! I'll definately look into having it fixed. It actually ripped right down one of the seems so I guess it could be sewn back together.

It's been a stressful week all-in-all but I'm in for the ride now and i'm looking forward to it!

Thanks again!

Can you hook the Arkid up with some links. Sorry I don't have them off the top of my head.

Arkid Welcome to the crew. Being a first time boat owner is hard and you have come the the right place for any help you may need. If you use the search button, you can find out just about any thing you my need.

Will do:

Covercrafts

Rankin

There ya go. :)

A tear across a seam should be an easy fix for any canvas shop. Only thing is, have them evaluate if what is left is worth fixing. It tore for a reason, maybe the whole thing is on the verge of being rotted out if it was kept mostly outside for 5 years. Then again, maybe a quick fix for $100 or less will give you time to shop for the cover you really want.

Good Luck

That's great advice. When you say ask for some extra fabric, do you mean as part of the cover or 'on the side' to add later?

I'm in Santa Clarita about 30 miles North of LA. If any one knows a good upholster in this area that would be great.

Thanks!

I used to live in Stevenson Ranch. Just moved north in December. Too bad, we could have boarded together. :(

Anyway, I had some upholstery work done in Valencia and he does excellent work. I highly recommend him. I can't remember the name of the shop but he's located right downtown on the street that has all the car dealerships, very close to the post office. If you turn right on the street on the end that has the post office he's in one of those industrial like buildings on the left before you get to the first dealership, there's a bunch of mom and pop shops in a small warehouse like building. He's really inexpensive and does high quality work. I was very pleased. I'm sure he can do any kind of canvas work you want.

Good Luck

Thanks!

I used to live in Stevenson Ranch. Just moved north in December. Too bad, we could have boarded together. :(

Anyway, I had some upholstery work done in Valencia and he does excellent work. I highly recommend him. I can't remember the name of the shop but he's located right downtown on the street that has all the car dealerships, very close to the post office. If you turn right on the street on the end that has the post office he's in one of those industrial like buildings on the left before you get to the first dealership, there's a bunch of mom and pop shops in a small warehouse like building. He's really inexpensive and does high quality work. I was very pleased. I'm sure he can do any kind of canvas work you want.

Yeah, I know exactly where you mean, i'll check it out.

Thanks!