Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

center ballast wont fill?

I had trouble emptying the center ballast and had that fixed- it was clogged w/ debris.

Last weekend the center tank would not fill at all. the switch stayed on and i could hear the pump running.

could it be plugged with debris again? Is there an easy fix for these clogs? does the clog happen in the pump itself and is it relatively easy to take apart and clean out???

btw...I totally think my new boat rocks!!!!!!!!!!

Also check to make sure the ball valve is open - if you have one.

Also sometimes we get and air pocket right over the intake - but just move the boat a bit and it goes away - one time we had one that wouldn't go away and had to go under the boat and plunge the water in.

I had trouble emptying the center ballast and had that fixed- it was clogged w/ debris.

Last weekend the center tank would not fill at all. the switch stayed on and i could hear the pump running.

could it be plugged with debris again? Is there an easy fix for these clogs? does the clog happen in the pump itself and is it relatively easy to take apart and clean out???

btw...I totally think my new boat rocks!!!!!!!!!!

you need to avoid the clogging altogether, don't fill you tanks until you are in open water.

based on your previous experience of sucking debris into the center ballast (the only way the drain could become plugged with debris), i would say your problem is debris in the fill pump, take the boat out of the water, pull the pump out, clean it out and you should be good to go.

Edited by Cervelo

now which one is the center fill pump? Is it under the instrument panel behind that foot panel?

Im guessing that the one i felt buzzing between the gas & center tank is the center drain pump? there are 2 others there are they both for the front?

now which one is the center fill pump? Is it under the instrument panel behind that foot panel?

Im guessing that the one i felt buzzing between the gas & center tank is the center drain pump? there are 2 others there are they both for the front?

Mine is located just behind and to the starboard of the v-drive.

The 3 pumps in the floor between the gas tank and center MLS are both the drain and fill for the center tank and the fill for the bow. The drain for the bow is behind the foot plate under the console. The center drain is the one you can see attached to the bottom of the tank. The two that have the ball valves and go thru the hull are the fill pumps. I hope that helps.

The 3 pumps in the floor between the gas tank and center MLS are both the drain and fill for the center tank and the fill for the bow. The drain for the bow is behind the foot plate under the console. The center drain is the one you can see attached to the bottom of the tank. The two that have the ball valves and go thru the hull are the fill pumps. I hope that helps.

Thanks, i found the filler pump. now my question is, can i just unscrew the blue top and clean it out from there or do i need to unscrew the hose clamp and disconnect the hose??

finally had time to take the pump apart, only to figure out the yellow lever had worked itself into the closed postition :Doh: .....but now i can change a pump if/when one ever fails! kinda fun fiddlin with the stuff.

Thanks to all who advised me!