Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Starbrite Teak Sealer - Any Regrets?

I've been using the Amazon Teak oil for the past few years, but I'm considering doing the Starbrite Tropical Teak Sealer this year. To anyone who has/is using this: do you have any regrets? Also, what colour did you use? Natural Light or Classic Teak? I don't want it to be orange.

Also, I haven't seen any comments to suggest that it is slippery. It's not, right?

Thanks!

I think my opinion on this is known, but just to make sure...

Its the best thing that's ever happened to me. I used the Natural teak color. Not slippery at all.

• Like 1

Sanded mine down over the winter and put a couple coats of the Starbrite Tropical Teak Sealer on. It is now less orange and more reddish - I like it. It definitely feels more like an oil than a sealer to me.

Here's a before and after pic, the after pic is inside so the lighting doesn't quite give it the deeper red it has in the sun.

platform1.jpg

platform2.jpg

I guess you guys have boats that are exposed to the sun most of the season? The reason I ask is my boat is a trailer queen. I have to tow to any lake so it stays in covered storage except when I am using it. When I bought my boat new, I started putting teak oil on the platform. I would put a coat of it on before putting away after each outing. My teak has always looked like a piece of furniture to the point that my friends make fun of me. I have only sanded it twice. Once I sanded it with 80 grit or so because it was too slippery. I sanded it again over this past winter because I spilled something on it that left a quarter sized stain and had eaten through the oil. I have never had to deal with the problems that I see people having with their teak. It has been probably the easiest thing on my boat to maintain. I am just curious as to the reason for the need for the sealants and why the regular teak oil hasn't worked for some? I know some bought used and had to refinish neglected platforms etc.

switched to the Classic Starbrite Tropical Teak Sealer last year.

good stuff.

still end up w scuff marks through the sealer where we stand to load up the slalom ski.

imho it's slightly better than starbrite teak oil, no huge gains but better.

realize that you will be purchasing a special solvent/remover to get the stuff off.

Keep in mind that the Tropical Teak Oil Sealer comes in two colors when recommending it...

I get the "Classic Teak" and I really like it.

Underway...

11_zpszmf4pd59.jpg

Sunny day:

3_zpsoqzpjfhx.jpg

Cloudy Day:

51_zpshzva2cux.jpg

Edited by jonredcorn

I guess you guys have boats that are exposed to the sun most of the season? The reason I ask is my boat is a trailer queen. I have to tow to any lake so it stays in covered storage except when I am using it. When I bought my boat new, I started putting teak oil on the platform. I would put a coat of it on before putting away after each outing. My teak has always looked like a piece of furniture to the point that my friends make fun of me. I have only sanded it twice. Once I sanded it with 80 grit or so because it was too slippery. I sanded it again over this past winter because I spilled something on it that left a quarter sized stain and had eaten through the oil. I have never had to deal with the problems that I see people having with their teak. It has been probably the easiest thing on my boat to maintain. I am just curious as to the reason for the need for the sealants and why the regular teak oil hasn't worked for some? I know some bought used and had to refinish neglected platforms etc.

I don't want to have to oil my platform every time I use my boat. I put a coat of sealer on once a year.

I'm with you on this, oiling the teak has been a part of normal cleaning and has worked well. I have brought many platforms back from the dread that apparently sat on the lift for years without any care. I can see that it would be nice to not worry about it, but I don't like the slightly orange color and opaque painted look the sealer gives and prefer the natural grain/color of the wood. But this is totally just my opinion....

I can see how oiling the teak once in a while if your boat is on a lift could be a pain. I'm a trailer boater as well for the time being, so it's pretty easy to throw some oil on it.

Edited by Asmodeus2112

Yes, my boat stays moored all summer...so it's not really conducive to re-oiling. It sounds like most people are using the "Classic Teak" colour. Has anyone used the "Natural Light"? Any pictures of it?

Yes, my boat stays moored all summer...so it's not really conducive to re-oiling. It sounds like most people are using the "Classic Teak" colour. Has anyone used the "Natural Light"? Any pictures of it?

It should be fine for 3 weeks! :biggrin:

I'm with you on this, oiling the teak has been a part of normal cleaning and has worked well. I have brought many platforms back from the dread that apparently sat on the lift for years without any care. I can see that it would be nice to not worry about it, but I don't like the slightly orange color and opaque painted look the sealer gives and prefer the natural grain/color of the wood. But this is totally just my opinion....

I can see how oiling the teak once in a while if your boat is on a lift could be a pain. I'm a trailer boater as well for the time being, so it's pretty easy to throw some oil on it.

Thanks, yeah I was just curious. It literally takes me less than 2 minutes to slap a coat of oil on mine but I get why those folks with boats on lifts wouldn't want

to fool with it. I actually enjoy putting coat of oil on mine ....last thing I do before backing the boat into its home. The smell of teak oil reminds me of summer!

I am glad that there are other options for folks as well and just glad that teak hasn't completely gone the way of the dodo bird. Old school is cool..... :rockon:

• Like 1

I was planning on sealing mine this winter but I never got around to it. I will continue using the mcguires teak oil for this season. I put a spray nozzle on the bottle it comes in and just spray it down every 3rd or 4th outing.

Edited by TCdave

I'm sorry, I've posted this before, so ya'll have probably seen this. But after refurbing my boats teak I was surprised that there were two different colors of wood used to make it. I really like the natural look and couldn't bring myself to put the sealer on...

IMG_3398.JPG

Interesting that my wedge door is hinged on the front opposite from yours.

Hmmm. Maybe they switched some year later to avoid it hitting the transom when open?