Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Portable storage garage?

exlonghorn

Is anyone storing their boat in a place other than a slip, garage, or out in the open? I'm thinking of parking mine in a fabric-covered portable garage (see the links). Is anyone doing this, and what is your experience? Spending $1.5-2K on sealed, convenient storage seems better than paying for a slip (really expensive around here) or storing it at a boat yard.

http://www.ecanopy.com/stl-95333.html

http://www.ecanopy.com/stl-90154.html

A friend of mine has kept his boat in one of those for a few years and it's done well for keeping it out of the elements and the sun, however last year they ran into two problems, the first was heavy snow caused it collapse but it was able to be "repaired" and the second was a tree limb fell through it and destroyed it permanently. They got 5 years of solid use out of it. I'm in the same "boat" so to speak, trying to decide between something like this and a metal "garage" which is a bit more expensive but also a bit more sturdy.

We store our vRide during the winter under a 10' x 20' portable garage that Costco sells for around $250. It gets the job done if you live in a mild climate and don't have to worry about too much snow.

To fit our 21' vRide in it I have to remove the swip step. And the trailer tongue sticks out past the end of the structure, but I can zip the whole thing closed around it without problems. They also aren't very tall so if you want to pull your boat in/out of them without lowering the tower you have to pop them up. I have a system for that as well, but it's not the most attractive thing ever.

As far as an affordable way to keep your boat dry, it does a great job - the boat stays dry and I even hang a work light and do winter projects in ours during the winter.

Edited by rennis

I should mention that I'm in Texas so snow isn't a factor. No nearby trees as well. We do get occasional hail and wind though. My hope is that this will be a good 3-4 year option. Any issues with humidity or heat build up?

Sure wish I had the quick clip folding tower like the 2015 VLX has...would make a it a lot easier to get a shorter structure. Anyone want to buy a well-equipped 2010 VLX? ;)

Edited by exlonghorn

Their ok till the wind picks them up & blows them to the neighbors. I've never used one because of others experiences & the once a year wind storm we'll see.

I have a 12'X24' Shelter Logic temp garage for my VLX (like this: http://www.shelterlogic.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=98af1f00-c0bb-4de7-881a-9f8000e9f470&CategoryName=Garages but 12'X24'). I have had it for nearly 8 years now, and only changed the fabric last season.

Here's a few things I've learned:

- Get as wide a garage as you can fit. I am OK for height to get my boat in with the tower up, but due to the curvature of the door (the arch shape), I only have ~2 inches on either side of my board racks.

- Get vents in the ends. My first fabric did not have vents, and I got condensation inside.

- Ensure that the doors on the end go right to the ground. Cats and raccoons like to hide out inside if you do not.

- Install some lighting inside so you can work after dark. Something like this works good: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tasco-50-ft-12-3-STW-5-Light-Metal-Cage-Light-String-Yellow-and-Black-08-00199/203534181?N=5yc1vZbm77

- Zip tie a electrical cord to one of the walls so you can plug in the vacuum, tools, work light, etc. without getting in and out of the boat, and dragging the cord against the gel.

- Pour a concrete curb and bolt the garage down to the curb. This, along with ensuring the ends go all the way to the ground, will ensure that strong winds will not destroy the garage

- Go for a light color fabric. It gets hot in there in the sun.

- Pay for the upgraded fabric (higher weight). It lasts longer

- Make sure to get an arched (rounded) shape. It sheds snow better than the ones they have at Costco for $250

Overall, prettty happy with mine.

Edited by Mechmaster
  • Like 2

I have a 12'X24' Shelter Logic temp garage for my VLX (like this: http://www.shelterlogic.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=98af1f00-c0bb-4de7-881a-9f8000e9f470&CategoryName=Garages but 12'X24'). I have had it for nearly 8 years now, and only changed the fabric last season.

Here's a few things I've learned:

- Get as wide a garage as you can fit. I am OK for height to get my boat in with the tower up, but due to the curvature of the door (the arch shape), I only have ~2 inches on either side of my board racks.

- Get vents in the ends. My first fabric did not have vents, and I got condensation inside.

- Ensure that the doors on the end go right to the ground. Cats and raccoons like to hide out inside if you do not.

- Install some lighting inside so you can work after dark. Something like this works good: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tasco-50-ft-12-3-STW-5-Light-Metal-Cage-Light-String-Yellow-and-Black-08-00199/203534181?N=5yc1vZbm77

- Zip tie a electrical cord to one of the walls so you can plug in the vacuum, tools, work light, etc. without getting in and out of the boat, and dragging the cord against the gel.

- Pour a concrete curb and bolt the garage down to the curb. This, along with ensuring the ends go all the way to the ground, will ensure that strong winds will not destroy the garage

- Go for a light color fabric. It gets hot in there in the sun.

- Pay for the upgraded fabric (higher weight). It lasts longer

- Make sure to get an arched (rounded) shape. It sheds snow better than the ones they have at Costco for $250

Overall, prettty happy with mine.

Thanks, I appreciate the insight. 7-8 years is a pretty good ROI, and thanks for the comment regarding keeping critters out...that's a concern as my storage area backs to an open field. I will need to measure carefully to get enough room to work and to make it easier to park.

Mechmaster gives some excellent points. I had one until I moved and it lasted 7 years. It needs good anchorage and it won't go anywhere. I used the corkscrews that came with it, then drove rebar through the feet on all the other legs and it didn't move at all in severe winds. Mine was about $1300, I considered the ROI totally worth it. I had run some lights in it and that was great. Mine was 12 x 28 and had tapered sides to I also had minimal clearance next to the racks because of the taper.

For a similar price, you could get a metal carport: http://www.americansteelinc.com/info/flyers/ing-TX,AR,LA,OK.pdf

I liked what I saw so I asked them to work up a quote for a fully enclosed unit. Here's what they sent back. $5K is just more than I want to spend, but it looks like they make a great product. Thanks for the sugestion. :)

Michael,

The price of a standard style garage fully enclosed with (1) 10x10 roll up door and (1) walk in door 12x31x12 (14 Gauge) is $4875.00 plus your local sales tax rate. The concrete anchors do come free of charge with the garage and that would give you a 90MPH wind warranty. The installation is free on your level land. If you have any questions or would like to place an order you can contact me at 1-866-471-8761 and my office hours are Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm EST.

Thank you,

Elise

I have had my boat in one of these : http://mdmshelters.com/barn_style.php

since 2007. I Love mine and it has held up great. The boat has been out of the elements

and protected very well. The only issue I have had is it is accessible by animals, rodents, etc,

so I have had to be diligent about keeping rat poison out in the winter. I had a cat (wild) that was

laying on my cover and I caught her with a trap and released her and she hasn't been back. Other than that

it has worked out great. I paid 1300$ for it back then and I know I got my moneys worth.

I think for 3-4 years one of these would be fine.

In the winter I have been putting several pails of the damp-rid inside my boat in various spots...interior, bilge etc. I then put the cover on and wrap the entire boat around where the cover meets the hull with shrink wrap (think heavy duty saran wrap) probably a couple feet above and below rub rail. I have never had anything in the boat except the occasional spider, when umwrapped in the spring.

Edited by DUKENO1

I liked what I saw so I asked them to work up a quote for a fully enclosed unit. Here's what they sent back. $5K is just more than I want to spend, but it looks like they make a great product. Thanks for the sugestion. :)

Michael,

The price of a standard style garage fully enclosed with (1) 10x10 roll up door and (1) walk in door 12x31x12 (14 Gauge) is $4875.00 plus your local sales tax rate. The concrete anchors do come free of charge with the garage and that would give you a 90MPH wind warranty. The installation is free on your level land. If you have any questions or would like to place an order you can contact me at 1-866-471-8761 and my office hours are Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm EST.

Thank you,

Elise

Hmm. When I use their pricing sheet, I get:

12x31 14-gauge: $1195

12 ft height: $575

Sides: $975

Ends: $740

Walk-in Door: $200

10x10 Rollup Garage Door: $450

Installation: Included

Sub-Total: $4135

Tax: $258.44

Total: $4393.44

Wonder if the other $500 is freight.

Even so, that is over double your budget. But you get a permanent structure that should last 3-4 times as long and is far more secure.

I have one of the fabric temporary garages, and it only lasted for a few years (snow). I use it to store PWC trailer, kayaks, etc. on a shared lot. I did replace it with another fabric garage, but I am thinking that when that is destroyed, I will try to get approval to put up one of these metal structures instead.

Hmm. When I use their pricing sheet, I get:

12x31 14-gauge: $1195

12 ft height: $575

Sides: $975

Ends: $740

Walk-in Door: $200

10x10 Rollup Garage Door: $450

Installation: Included

Sub-Total: $4135

Tax: $258.44

Total: $4393.44

Wonder if the other $500 is freight.

Even so, that is over double your budget. But you get a permanent structure that should last 3-4 times as long and is far more secure.

I have one of the fabric temporary garages, and it only lasted for a few years (snow). I use it to store PWC trailer, kayaks, etc. on a shared lot. I did replace it with another fabric garage, but I am thinking that when that is destroyed, I will try to get approval to put up one of these metal structures instead.

I think you're probably right that shipping will factor in.

So I keep my boat stored at work, behind a fenced and gated area. Free and convenient, but if I ever change jobs I want to be able to take the garage with me. Not sure how easy it would be to disassemble the full metal garage. I have to believe the fabric version would come down more easily. Probably should have added that important piece of info. :blush:

My 10 x 20 shelter (logic) is now 15 years old and holding up good. It is somewhat shaded in the summer from trees which I think is contributing to its longevity. It has stood up to hurricanes, blizzards, and wet heavy snow. Other posters brought up a lot of good points and I would heed their advice. Boat is there from October till May with the original shipping cover on it. I keep mouse, rat and live traps in there continuously. Also have a 10 x 20 piece of roofing rubber covering the ground. I would go the same route again.

Thanks for all the advice...picked out a ShelterLogic 14 x 28 x 12 Round Portable Garage Canopy. Total came out to $2K from eCanopy.com. Should allow the tower to clear without having to fold it down. Guess I should be happy I'm not one of the lucky folks with a 24LSV. :)