Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2 problems

candle-bu

now that it has finally stopped raining here in CT, i have been able to get the new vride wet! however, i have noticed 2 problems:

1- the quick release pins on the illusion-x slowly slide out on their own when i am under way.

2- the steering wheel seems to be off center or out of alignment? when the steering wheel is centered, the boat veers to the right. (i have already adjusted the rudder-tab)

any thoughts on these 2 issues would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

evan

now that it has finally stopped raining here in CT, i have been able to get the new vride wet! however, i have noticed 2 problems:

1- the quick release pins on the illusion-x slowly slide out on their own when i am under way.

2- the steering wheel seems to be off center or out of alignment? when the steering wheel is centered, the boat veers to the right. (i have already adjusted the rudder-tab)

any thoughts on these 2 issues would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

evan

1. The pins should slide in, and then you turn them so teh ring on the pin sets under the little lip on the tower. that should prvent them from coming out.

2. I'm not totally clear on your problem. Are you saying that when you have the wheel straight, the boat is turning. Or you straighten the wheel, let go and the boat turns to teh right. The first is a problem, the second is the way the boats are built. If the boat is turning when your'e holding the wheel straight, I'd live with it for a few hours, and then have them look at it when you get your 10hr checkup.

thanks for the reply.

i do turn the pins so the ring sits under that lip, butthey still seem to work themselves loose?

and yes, when i have the wheel straight the boat is turning.

The pins on the tower have a small set screw with a spring loaded ball on the end that keeps the pins in. Pull the pins and lower your tower. On the top of the holes for the pins in the tower base you will see the set screws, one over each hole. Thighten the set screws while sliding the pin in & out of the hole until the pin won't come out. Then back out the set screw just until the pin will release and slide out. The ball on the set screw rides in the groove in the pin. This has been discussed before and IIRC Stewart posted a picture of the screws.

Yep, 6 bolts hold the wheel on. Take an allen wrench out with you and see where the wheel is pointed when you are going straight. Pull it and rotate accordingly. You can get close but perfect would just be lucky! :)

Yep, 6 bolts hold the wheel on. Take an allen wrench out with you and see where the wheel is pointed when you are going straight. Pull it and rotate accordingly. You can get close but perfect would just be lucky! :)

Unless you're handy with a protractor and a drill....but with the six bolts you'll be able to get within 30 degrees of perfect.

And you may want to put your rudder tab back where it was from the factory, if the position of the wheel was your only concern regarding the steering.

As Ronnie stated on the tower.

After making large corrections to the steering wheel by moving it a hole over, you can make minor corrections (for the speed you prefer) by adjusting the steering tube located just in front of the rudder. Loosen the two plastic jam nuts and the aluminum cable nut then turn the the tube a number of turns. Drive the boat and see the new locations, repeat or move the tube the other direction as needed. Retighten the jam nuts and cable nut and you're good to go.

Peter. :)

The easiest way to really adjust the steering wheel, is to remove the 4 bolts at the rack (under the dash) where the wheel gear meets the rack.

Losten the bolts enough to be able to turn the wheel without it touching the rack, adjust the wheel what you need for it to indicate straight, and tighten the bolts back up.

I did mine on the water - drove in a straight line.. stoped (holding the wheel straight) - turned the boat off... and then adjusted the wheel so it now sat in the correct orientation.

it takes just a min or so

The easiest way to really adjust the steering wheel, is to remove the 4 bolts at the rack (under the dash) where the wheel gear meets the rack.

Losten the bolts enough to be able to turn the wheel without it touching the rack, adjust the wheel what you need for it to indicate straight, and tighten the bolts back up.

I did mine on the water - drove in a straight line.. stoped (holding the wheel straight) - turned the boat off... and then adjusted the wheel so it now sat in the correct orientation.

Yes.gif

You can do this on the trailer. Make sure the rudder is perfectly straight, drop the rack, straighten wheel, reattach rack. Very simple to do.

Yes.gif

You can do this on the trailer. Make sure the rudder is perfectly straight, drop the rack, straighten wheel, reattach rack. Very simple to do.

Would someone please email this procedure to Malibu!

When was the last time you got in a new American car (or any really) and drove down the road and the steering wheel was off? But the boat guys seem to think it's acceptable?

How much extra do you think it costs? Think they could afford to build in "cosemetic function" in the steering?