Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DIY vs Dealer 50hr

I'm considering doing the 50hr service myself. (1) to save cash, (2) to learn a little bit more about my boat. (1st time owner this year).

Anyhoo, I've heard somewhere that doing the service yourself voids the warranty.

Is there any truth to that?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Isn't the 50 hr just an oil change? Its time to learn how to do that. Super simple and takes all of 30 minutes.

No, it's a lot more than just an oil change. This is the one service that I would definitely have the dealer do. If there is something going on with the engine or drive, now is the time that it will be found by the mechanic. After the 10 hour service, by all means, you can service the boat yourself. I don't know if it voids the warranty, but it would make things more complicated in the event of a major engine problem.

This is the one service that I would definitely have the dealer do. If there is something going on with the engine or drive, now is the time that it will be found by the mechanic. After the 10 hour service, by all means, you can service the boat yourself.

Did I miss something? He is asking about the 50 hour not the 10. If not, what else does the 50 hour envolve?

I'm considering doing the 50hr service myself. (1) to save cash, (2) to learn a little bit more about my boat. (1st time owner this year).

Anyhoo, I've heard somewhere that doing the service yourself voids the warranty.

Is there any truth to that?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

No, it does not void your warranty, just keep good records & receipts.

This is the one service that I would definitely have the dealer do. If there is something going on with the engine or drive, now is the time that it will be found by the mechanic. After the 10 hour service, by all means, you can service the boat yourself.

Did I miss something? He is asking about the 50 hour not the 10. If not, what else does the 50 hour envolve?

You're right, my bad. You are fine to do the 50 hour yourself.

OK - I've bought the "oil boy", the oil filter, a case of oil, and the moeller "fake a lake".

Newbie questions:

1. Which one of the holes on the bottom of the boat do i hook up the "fake a lake"? --

2. Also, once I hook it up, do I just just turn on the water, then quickly turn on the engine?

Thanks!

You hook the fake lake to the large sea strainer under the boat. It looks like a brass metal leaf rake. It's on the driver's side of the boat. If you take out the rear bench seat cushions and look to the driver's side you'll see a large ~1.5" hose coming out of the bottom of the bilge. That's your fresh water intake, connect the fake lake to the bottom side of where that hose is coming from.

Make sure you prop the fake lake up against the bottom of the boat with some force, you don't want it to slip off while the engine is running. Turn the water on slowly and progressively. Once the water is all the way on, then fire her up. You should see water coming out of the exhaust ports right away.

When you're removing the oil filter, it's going to drip oil. Make sure you put something underneath the filter to catch this. I typically take an old plastic oil container and cut the bottom 1" off of it to act like a small tray. Put that under the filter to catch the oil. Also, make sure you lay down some towels or rags in the trunk where you are removing the oil filter. It's tricky to get the filter out without spilling anything.

Be SURE and buy oil that meets the API specs the owners manual lays out. The service specs call for an oil that is classed as "extreme duty".

How many people check and realign the motor?

How many dealers you think actually do?

What, did I hear a NONE! Of course this is just my opinion.

I'd like to see Malibu or a dealer tell me the warranty on my vynil is void because I changed my own oil. Or they won't fix my faulty stereo because I didn't pay to have them do my 10 hour service!

Now good luck getting them to put a new motor in if you changed your oil but used the wrong filter and it all leadked out and caused your motor to lock up. Use common sense and you'll be fine.

OK - I just did my first oil change - yee-haw! Only took me an hour longer than I thought (puting the oil boy together, trying to figure out how to hook up the fake a lake and make sure the seal was somewhat tight - then not realizing I would need a oil filter wrench to get the darn thing off - that was a trip to the hardware store).

Question - I put in 5 quarts - and according to the dipstick - it looks like it is enough... but it seemed like it was within range at 4 quarts...

Anyone know what how many quarts it should take? V-Ride - Indmar 320 LCR.

Thanks!

You hook the fake lake to the large sea strainer under the boat. It looks like a brass metal leaf rake. It's on the driver's side of the boat. If you take out the rear bench seat cushions and look to the driver's side you'll see a large ~1.5" hose coming out of the bottom of the bilge. That's your fresh water intake, connect the fake lake to the bottom side of where that hose is coming from.

Make sure you prop the fake lake up against the bottom of the boat with some force, you don't want it to slip off while the engine is running. Turn the water on slowly and progressively. Once the water is all the way on, then fire her up. You should see water coming out of the exhaust ports right away.

When you're removing the oil filter, it's going to drip oil. Make sure you put something underneath the filter to catch this. I typically take an old plastic oil container and cut the bottom 1" off of it to act like a small tray. Put that under the filter to catch the oil. Also, make sure you lay down some towels or rags in the trunk where you are removing the oil filter. It's tricky to get the filter out without spilling anything.

Wrap a disposable baby diaper around the filter - works great at absorbing the oil dripping around the filter.

Wrap a disposable baby diaper around the filter - works great at absorbing the oil dripping around the filter.

Do you use the 0-3 months or bigger? :lol:

Do you use the 0-3 months or bigger? :lol:

Definitely bigger....no 0-3 months left around the house. Forgot to use one last time and it got messy. Biggrin.gif

Actually, I picked that tip up from someone on the crew (or the former site).

Edited by Addictedto6

Indmar requires that you document the maintenance. I purchased my boat with the flushing valve which is really nice, just lift the rear cushion and hook up the hose. I have seen the flushing valves at west marine and it goes inline between the pickup and the trans cooler. Its clear plastic with spring loaded check valves.

I've got 170 hours on my boat, and I've still got little bitty things I'm working on with the dealer (I.E. extendable pylon is stuck in the down position - this is a known problem with my year, and I've already had them look at once.) I can't imagine someone at 50 hours not having something they'd want the dealer to look at.

Knowing how to change the oil is a good skill though. More power to you.

Unfortunately I don't live 'near' Pete. He's sworn NEVER to come back to my house, unfortunately :( Drive's a bit too far.

And you believe that's the real reason? ;)

Unfortunately I don't live 'near' Pete. He's sworn NEVER to come back to my house, unfortunately :( Drive's a bit too far.

And you believe that's the real reason? ;)

Let him continue to believe that. It helps him sleep at night.

Of course, we know it's not the real reason.

The real reason is my trailer. I thrashed the brake system and then diagnosed it incorrectly.

All fixed now though. But I think I've scared him off for good. :)

the disposable diaper is a good idea --

i actually used a large ziplock and put it around the filter once it got loose enough. worked great.

i put a paper plate on the floor of the boat below -- but perhaps the ziplock with the diaper on the floor is the way to go.

i'll be taking er in to the dealer for the 100 -- as yet, no problems to report - so far she's been super smooth

- makes me wonder though - how many hours do people put on their boats in a season? We've had ours since Feb and have around 65 -- maybe i'll start a poll...

- makes me wonder though - how many hours do people put on their boats in a season? We've had ours since Feb and have around 65 -- maybe i'll start a poll...

Been there done that

How Many Hours Poll

I've cut a 2 liter bottle in half and place the bottom half of the bottle under the filter. The filter just drops into the bottle and any oil drips fall into the bottle as well.

BTW - I've found that you dont need a oil filter wrench, altho they do come in handy. If you dont have a filter wrench, just drive a screwdriver thru the side of the filter and use the screwdriver to twist the filter off. Just make sure that you have something to catch the oil from the holes in the filter.

Edited by mrothwell