Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 2015 Malibu Wakesetter VLX Bluetooth and USB not working

tiffnichols

Anyone with a new VLX having issues with the factory installed Rockford Fosgate stereo? Can't get Bluetooth to connect to my iPhone 6 or can't get music off my phone with USB connected to any of the USB ports including glove box port. Supposedly a flash drive update is to be sent out. Kind of frustrated...brand new boat, no tunes.

None of those USB ports will read music off your phone. The one in the glove box will read properly formatted music files off a USB drive. The USB ports at the helm will not play music of any kind. They are there primarily to load software updates. They can also be used to power your phone.

• Like 1

I haven't used the 30 pin adapter as all my phones, iPods, etc are lightning connections. Not exactly sure why they put 2012 technology in a 2015 boat. Supposedly they have an update coming regarding Bluetooth. No one is sure when though. Frustrating.

None of those USB ports will read music off your phone. The one in the glove box will read properly formatted music files off a USB drive. The USB ports at the helm will not play music of any kind. They are there primarily to load software updates. They can also be used to power your phone.

Not sure why you can only use the glove compartment USB to play music. Further, who uses flash, card, etc. to play music these days? How are you suppose to access, Pandora, Spotify, or Beats Music when the Bluetooth doesn't work and the USB only retrieves specially formated music files? Makes no sense. Not well thought out. Especially for an after market company that deals with car audio that is capable of doing just that. I'm going to try the headphone output next, but if that doesn't work, I'm at the mercy of waiting for a Bluetooth update.

ahopkins22LSV

Why not just get a 30 pin to lightning adapter? I would be willing to bet that many, many people still use an older style iPod in their boats which is why they probably still use the 30 pin.

• Like 1

You can always add an EQ with AUX. The plus of the ipod cable is it's digital vs the analog of the aux cable. BT is also digital, though I've heard mine clip a little on songs which is weird

You also can buy a BT AUX adapter, and it make your AUX port BT enabled... Just another way to add another decent BT signal.

I also had trouble at first with the BT paring at first but have the unit dialed now. Try hooking up to the Viper II mode instead of the RX6000 ...

• Like 1

You also can buy a BT AUX adapter, and it make your AUX port BT enabled... Just another way to add another decent BT signal.

I also had trouble at first with the BT paring at first but have the unit dialed now. Try hooking up to the Viper II mode instead of the RX6000 ...

OUT OF CURIOSITY, DID YOU HAVE TO USE THE PERFECT PULL APP TO ACCESS THE VIPER 2, OR DID IT JUST POP UP ON YOUR PHONE ON BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY? THE RX6000 WAS NEVER EVEN A CHOICE ON MY PHONE FOR BLUETOOTH CONNECTION. LOOKING THROUGH THE SETTINGS ON THE BOAT, I DIDN'T FIND AN AREA FOR BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY (LIKE MOST CARS HAVE ON THEIR STEREOS).

The iPhone 6 has a lightning adapter and does not output any analog audio or video. The input on my 14 VLX needs analog input. You can get an adapter from Apple for $40. If you have an older iPhone or iPod with the 30 pin adapter it should work. This has an A to D adapter built in

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

• Like 1

Is it turned on in the settings? That's what it sounds like a like to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, I can't find where to turn on the bluetooth in the settings on the small screen near the throttle. I searched through it a few times. Is it true you have to download the "perfect pull app" and look for viper 2 and turn it on that way?

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, I can't find where to turn on the bluetooth in the settings on the small screen near the throttle. I searched through it a few times. Is it true you have to download the "perfect pull app" and look for viper 2 and turn it on that way?

No, you don't need the app.

When you go to the boat settings there will be a blue tooth option for viper. It has a radio button that is either off or on. I think it references it in your little goofy paper manual they sent with your boat about the new helm. Once you turn it on you should see viper2 as an option on your phones blue tooth, though it can be named other things based on what it's called in those settings, mine is Malibu boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

OUT OF CURIOSITY, DID YOU HAVE TO USE THE PERFECT PULL APP TO ACCESS THE VIPER 2, OR DID IT JUST POP UP ON YOUR PHONE ON BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY? THE RX6000 WAS NEVER EVEN A CHOICE ON MY PHONE FOR BLUETOOTH CONNECTION. LOOKING THROUGH THE SETTINGS ON THE BOAT, I DIDN'T FIND AN AREA FOR BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY (LIKE MOST CARS HAVE ON THEIR STEREOS).

Actually, I recall when i first brought my boat home I was in front of the house attempting to connect my phone to the stereo, and was unable to find the RX6000 at all. And the Viper II was the only signal my phone found, and I did not even realize there was 2 signals within the boat. I have no explanation as to why it wasnt showing at form the sstart, but by the 2nd attempt of messing around with the stereo, the phone found RX6000.

I actually ended up testing both signals and they both were comparable in quality. Here are some of the differences.

VIper II, Looks and tells you the musics information, song and album and it looks cleaner on the screen (graphic wise).

RX6000, is much plain but has the ability to tweak/equalize some of the sound. Although its so elementary that most likely you want to leave the settings where they are at.

Once you have both signals saved it does not seem to make a difference much which unit your on. So far I like to connect to VIper II for me, (the captain), and then I leave the RX6000 open, so that other passengers can connect to the BT unit, and I fairly seemlessly just switch the BT signal to RX6000 and have the passenger play their tunes. So having Viper II for your own signal actually works out nicely. Only one connection per signal so, if your playing music on your phone and a friend is trying to connect to the same signal, they are gonna have issues solidifying the connection until you disconnect from yours.

• Like 1

I want to thank everyone for their help with this. After taking your suggestions and doing a little research, I was able to come up with the following:

1) According to Singleton Marine and AVC Audio (their go to audio guys), the only bluetooth available on the 2015 VLX is the Viper II. The RFX6000 comes up on the MTC screen, but according to them, it won't pair. The Viper II is found in settings under Perfect Pull.

2) The headphone jack in glove box attached to iPhone 6 worked well.

3) As posted earlier and also according to Singleton Marine, only a flash drive or similar can output music from the USB in the glovebox. Only the 8-pin mini din 30 pin iPod cable can send music and info to the MTC screen.

4) As of last week Rockford Fosgate will offer an 8-pin mini din to Lightning cable for Apple iphone 5 and 6 phones that will send music stored as well as capability to stream (e.g. Pandora, Spotify, Beats Music, etc.) to MTC with info. I couldn't find it on their website yet.

Again, thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

4) As of last week Rockford Fosgate will offer an 8-pin mini din to Lightning cable for Apple iphone 5 and 6 phones that will send music stored as well as capability to stream (e.g. Pandora, Spotify, Beats Music, etc.) to MTC with info. I couldn't find it on their website yet.

That is very interesting... this makes me think I want to relocate my black box to be next to my EQ by the helm. Anyone try to do that yet?

• Like 1

That is very interesting... this makes me think I want to relocate my black box to be next to my EQ by the helm. Anyone try to do that yet?

I don't think you need to relocate the black box.... just the piece from the glovebox (or buy a new one and leave the one in the glovebox unplugged).

EDIT: or maybe not... looks like the cable on that AUX input pieces is only 6'.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 1

I got the Viper to connect, but I still couldn't hear anything out of the speakers. I talked to the guys at the shop after the fact and they told me I need to close the perfect pull app on my phone to stream music. Will try that next.