Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bolts for Bunks-What to use

robbennett

I am renting a lakehouse in a couple of weeks and am able to do some much needed trailer work while the boat is in the water. I'm replacing 2 bunks and will just re-carpet the other two.

Should I use galvanized or stainless bolts for the bunks? I want to make sure to use the most corrosion resistant thing because the carpet will trap in so much moisture.

The bolts will be countersunk so should I put anything over them to level the wood like a sealant or liquid nails?

I am unsure if I can get lag bolts to stay anymore because they have worked their way out a few times. Is there a good way to make them stay? I am willing to do the extra work to countersink some bolts just so I don't have to worry about the bunks moving around anymore. I guess stainless is the way to go either way?

I am unsure if I can get lag bolts to stay anymore because they have worked their way out a few times. Is there a good way to make them stay? I am willing to do the extra work to countersink some bolts just so I don't have to worry about the bunks moving around anymore. I guess stainless is the way to go either way?

Replace the wood. a 2x6 is cheap. And if you are thinking of recarpeting an old bunk, I guarantee you will wish that you had bought new wood. I did one last year and there is nothing worse than trying to get that old carpet and staples off.

As for getting the lags to stay, make sure to use lock washers - preferably star washers not split washers.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2

i'm a fan of thru-bolting

nothing in the marine world should be lagged

i know, not practical sometimes, but why not when you can?

that lagged bunk is going to float away at the most inopportune time and think of what your hull will look like after that happens

due to the galling you can get w stainless i've used galvanized on mine

• Like 2

If you are going stainless thru bolts, it can be a pain in the a$$ if the threads gall up on you. We were extremely carefull, still had some bind up, needed a breaker bar and a lot of brute strength to break them. Plus they are expensive. If I could do it again, I would have gone galvanized.

Besure to spray all the bolts with lubricant and thread nuts on by hand as far as you can before putting a wrench on them.

Edited by Raimie

Because of gall I would use stainless bolts with brass nuts. That is the best combination for corrosion resistance. Notice almost everything in the boat is done like this.

I'm going to be replacing all my bunks this weekend. Will be using carriage bolts. Mine was not lag bolted from the factory. What's the consensus on carpet? I can buy the bunk specific carpet from bakes for $92 or buy the black outdoor carpet from Lowe's for half that. Most of what I read on here led me to the outdoor carpet from lowes...

I'm going to be replacing all my bunks this weekend. Will be using carriage bolts. Mine was not lag bolted from the factory. What's the consensus on carpet? I can buy the bunk specific carpet from bakes for $92 or buy the black outdoor carpet from Lowe's for half that. Most of what I read on here led me to the outdoor carpet from lowes...

Option 3

This is the stuff I bought last year, pretty heavy duty stuff. 20-22oz if I remember right and they sell some cheaper stuff that is 16oz

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-Bunk-Carpet-for-PWC-BOAT-Trailer-CHARCOAL-12-x-50-Marine-Outdoor-/191561420043?hash=item2c99f34d0b&vxp=mtr

I bought some carpet from cabelas It was about 20 a roll. Probably should have just gone to lowes because this stuff doesn't seem like anything special. It definitely isn't as thick as whats on there now.

I bought some carpet from cabelas It was about 20 a roll. Probably should have just gone to lowes because this stuff doesn't seem like anything special. It definitely isn't as thick as whats on there now.

Sounds similar to the carpet West Marine sells. I looked at that first, but it seemed really thin to me.

Stay away from the thin carpet, spend the $$ on some thick stuff. I just finished doing all my bunks, new wood, SS carriage bolts, counter sunk, nut then a nylock. Used SS staples to for the carpet. The thing you will want to take your time on is pulling the carpet tight and how you wrap the ends for full coverage.

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...
ahopkins22LSV
On 4/24/2015 at 5:38 PM, oldjeep said:

Option 3

This is the stuff I bought last year, pretty heavy duty stuff. 20-22oz if I remember right and they sell some cheaper stuff that is 16oz

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-Bunk-Carpet-for-PWC-BOAT-Trailer-CHARCOAL-12-x-50-Marine-Outdoor-/191561420043?hash=item2c99f34d0b&vxp=mtr

Sorry to dig up an older thread, but @oldjeep how is your carpet holding up?

Agree with most of the above.

Thru bolt, insert the bolts with countersunk or checked out holes, then carpet using stainless staples. Spend the $$ on a pneumatic stapler, makes the job that much easier

Used galv Bolts with nylock nuts.

The lag bolts work loose with the trailer flexing.

Or, anyone tried the snaptraxx

http://www.snaptraxx.com/

If you have a shallow ramp, will make it easier to launch & retreive

5 hours ago, wdr said:

I am digging the snaptraxx, but at $782.09 for my TA BM trailer it will be a hard sell to the wife. Especially seeing how I just redid my bunks!

Tell her they look cool sitting at the ramp....while your out on the boat.   :Doh:

6 hours ago, wdr said:

I am digging the snaptraxx, but at $782.09 for my TA BM trailer it will be a hard sell to the wife. Especially seeing how I just redid my bunks!

$800 no thanks you could re-bunk several times for that,

12 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Tell her they look cool sitting at the ramp....while your out on the boat.   :Doh:

...and while I am sleeping in the boat on the trailer in the garage! Or I could throw some Gator Step at her instead of the snaptraxx which she was kind of liking instead of our snap in carpet. Turning lemons into lemonade. ?

37 minutes ago, wdr said:

...and while I am sleeping in the boat on the trailer in the garage! Or I could throw some Gator Step at her instead of the snaptraxx which she was kind of liking instead of our snap in carpet. Turning lemons into lemonade. ?

Haha, TMC version of the dog house, huh. Frankly, I'd be more interested in forking out the money for the Gator Step. Just seems like it would be more rewarding. I guess I've never had enough problem getting the boat on/off the trailer to realize the benefit.

this may be a dumb question, but getting ready to redo my bunks as well, are you guys just stretching carpet around the bunks and stapling the bottom, or would you glue the top fast as well, or do you want the carpet free from the wood?