Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06 Range Rover Sport

5inthesun

So you guys will probably say I am crazy. I bought an 06 range rover sport. Not the 05 with all the electric problems. This guy had all the maintenance records and let me talk to the Tech at the dealership he used for everything. It's mint and it wasn't that much money. I am going to tow short distances with it. I will probably regret it, but I have my own car lift and can work on US brands, we will see what happened. I'll put some pics up shortly.

Hope it tows well and is at least reasonably reliable. It test drove better than any vehicle I have ridden in before. Queue all the haters! LOL

• Like 2

It's not the SC, they have even more problems. The truck is rated to tow more than 7,700 which is actually more than my tahoe but not more than my excursion. I hope it will be fine. I have the lsv so it's not more than 6K and the tongue weight would be around 5-600 lbs so should be good there as well. I don't have to worry about mountain passes, etc... My concern isn't so much about the tow more about the reliability of the vehicle for everyday usage, which is suspect at best. I just hope my mechanic skills will override that negative factor.

Just remember that the 7700lb tow rating does not mean that is necessarily what you can tow with the stock hitch and without weight distribution. You need to find out what the rating of the hitch and ball mount is, chances are it is a Class 3 that is rated for 5000lbs and 7700lbs with weight distribution (see the thread below this one)

You're going to test your mechanical skills and depth of your wallet.

Yeah, I figured as much and am going into it with eyes wide open. I want to see what all the hype is about. They can't possibly be that hard to work on. LOL... We will see.

One of my favorite SUVs ever.

Unfortunately I've had to live by the Ferrari motto on getting into one--if I can't afford a new one, I sure as heck can't afford a used one. :biggrin:

Congrats though, very cool vehicle.

I came real close to buying a 08 sc sport from a friend. 3 or 4 years ago. Drove great, looked awesome, plenty of power. Just couldn't convince myself to buy a vehicle that depreciated 50k in 3 years.

yeah, I don't have that much in this one. It's an 06 with 100K miles. It's immaculate though. I figured I would drive it for a year and see if I can handle the maintenance get familiar with the vehicle and then if everything works out go in for a 09 or 10, something like that. That's why I say I am just sticking my toe in and not jumping in. Worst case I hate it I re-sell it and loose a few grand. I paid more than that for my Gibson J45! :lol:

If you have LED lights on your trailer you may have an issue. I know someone that had to buy an adapter because of the bulb monitoring system or whatever. An 06 may be old enough you won't have to worry about it.

Did you keep the Excursion? I figure the Excursion has enough tow capacity to pull the boat and the RR.

They are cool looking vehicles. I'm not brave enough though....