Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Possible Project Boat

lundbladc

Muraitic Acid, it can be bought at the hardware store. Dilute 50/50 with water and it will take that stuff right off with zero impact to the gel coat. Make sure you rinse it off the trailer, while it has no impact on gelcoat it is rough on steel. I've been using it for years.

What you DON'T want to do is anything abrasive. Any scrubbing is bad, whatever you use should be simple wipe or spray on, wipe or spray off, scrubbing will do damage to the finish. At least that's been my rule of thumb.

50/50 mix of Lysol toilet bowl cleaner and hydrogen peroxide will get your hull looking bright white again. I do this every year at the end of the season after our boat sits in the water for a few months. Takes the scum right off and won't harm the finish.

• Like 1

You asked about the key earlier. I replaced my ignition with one from ebay http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sea-Dog-420375-1-Poly-Marine-Ignition-Switch-4-Position-4-Terminal-/201200700677?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed87f0d05&vxp=mtr It was very similar to this one, the only difference is I found one with the screws instead of the push on terminals. What you need is a 4 position marine ignition. The sea-dog looks like a direct factory replacement.

New photo updates!

http://imgur.com/a/p4dLE

Anyone know how these starters work? I could really use some guidance. We just crossed the positive to the negative with a large screwdriver to test that the starter would actually spin, but for both starters it did not seem to throw the gear towards the flywheel any thoughts I was told that this is done simply via centrifugal motion.

Total into it: About $3500 at this point.

The starters are pretty much just a solenoid and a motor. The solenoid is the part that isn't (but should be) throwing the gear into place. The solenoid can get dirty and would need to be opened up / cleaned out to work again. You can google what a solenoid is, but when electric current is supplied to the solenoid, it uses magnetism to push a pushrod (which is what is pushing your starter gear into the flywheel)

In the larger picture, it works like this - When you supply power to the starter (turning the ignition key) it gives power to the solenoid, which pushes your starter gear into the flywheel. Once the push rod has been fully extended, it also completes the circuit that supplies power to the starter motor(this is a mechanical connection, not computer controlled), causing the motor to turn. Once the boat has started and you release the key, it pulls the starter gear out of the flywheel and the motor turns off at the same time.

But to help you troubleshoot - if you hear clicking when you hook to the starter - that is the solenoid not being able to extend correctly. Could be a dirty solenoid or could simply be not enough battery power. If I was you, the first thing I would do is get two batteries (in parallel w/ perko switch), sand off all electrical connections and hook back up. This has happened to me ~ 5 times over the years with non-malibu boats and my problem 80% of the time was not enough power or bad connection and the other 20% was a bad solenoid.

See this image below (notice the twisted metal connection - I'm pretty sure that is the mechanism that supplies power to the motor while its fully extended.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/4x4-vehicles/850570d1322766350-mahindra-cj340-joins-team-bhp-family-pc011353.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry for the lack of new pics, I am waiting on some parts to come in.

In the meantime, I now have power to the coil! Probably a useful step to getting spark. The kill switch in the dash was completely dead so I bypassed it for now... just like I am doing with the transmission neutral sensor that I need a screw for.

So the coil has 12v power going to it and the fuel pump also has 12V power going to it (at least there is 12V at the fuse). next step is to make sure the coil is working correctly. I want to test the output of the coil to ground, does anyone know what voltage the coil operates at?

I need to figure out if the gauges, and more specifically if the gauge computer is any good. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to figure this out? When I turn the key to on I get a buzzing noise under the dash that quickly fades out like it died. :-/

The output of a coil is around 30,000 volts - don't be screwing around touching that side of it with a voltmeter when the coil is powered up.

Google ignition coil testing for some good directions on how to check a disconnected coil with an ohm meter.

As for the gauges - when you hear the noise do the gauge needles flutter? On my father in-laws 04 LXI, the multi gauge makes a bunch of buzzing noises on power up as the needles flutter a bit and then rise to their current reading - could just be that. Or are you talking about more of an alarm type buzzer?

I am thinking that the medallion (gauge computer) is screwed up. I am looking to replace that, also the left two large gauges are screwed up so I am in the process of looking for replacements. The only gauge that looks to be in good order is the tachometer.

as for the coil, I will try testing it tonight. I have a new one coming anyway due to the questionable state of this one after water exposure.

Thank you for the kind offer Qmanbu, I am currently in negotiation on ebay for the entire dash from a 2000 malibu response with the gauges. From the way the tone sounded I think the alarm is dead and/or the medallion is dead because the tone lasted barely 1/2 a sec and then died off. :-/

If that doesn't work out, let me know. I have a box with a few old gauges in it. No idea what is in there, but I know where the box is and am willing to have a look if your ebay negotiations don't pan out.

@lundbladc: congrats on your new project, great to hear your enthusiasm and dedication to this project. You will learn a ton via the process. A suggestion if you have to end up digging deep to restore the vessel might be a trip to an actual boat manufacturer via a plant tour. You will see the whole building process and by engaging some of the staff might pick up some very valuable tips. I don't think the specific brand is that important, most have very similar process'. Another source will br a friendly marine mechanic, they will have several tricks of the trade that can simplify seemingly complex issues. Good luck and keep the post going.

These boats are actually pretty simple and very easy to customize to your personal needs. You will find some threads on here of custom projects, ground up restores and various upgrades, many have great info contained within. It sounds like the HDS might be the hull issue, there are repair threads about that and a replacement log thread on an update to the troublesome HDS. Good luck.

I also have the 4in1 gauge form a 99VLX which would be the same as yours. Let me know.

The previous explanation of a starter is accurate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f6kM1e1fBA for some starters but not for all starters. Some use a different technique. which is described below.

When the starter is engaged, the starter gear travels towards the flywheel by using s screw type shaft. When the starter spins in one direction the gear travels up the screw (away from the starter) and into the flywheel. Once the engine starts the flywheel will be spinning faster than the starter and this will then send the starter gear back down and away form the flywheel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C6p8RfxMiY

If you hear a clicking sound it is likely that your relay is working properly but that the solenoid or starter is seized up. Check out youtube, they have tons of videos on how to attempt to repair starters and solenoids. Just make sure you disconnect your battery prior to working on your starter.

Edited by FastFreddy

you guys rock!

Thanks for all the comments, I will keep you posted.

I did replace the starter off of the advice of my father. (I probably did not need to) so I will put the old one back on and try it and if that one is good then I will put the new one in storage till I do need it. guess I have a spare part now... Live and learn :-)

I have an order in with bakes for a bunch of stuff:

Some of which,

Rotor

Rotor cap

spark plugs

spark plug wires

the two fuel filters

spark/flame arrestor

So once these parts are in... hopefully I can get some combustion ^.^

you guys rock!

Thanks for all the comments, I will keep you posted.

I did replace the starter off of the advice of my father. (I probably did not need to) so I will put the old one back on and try it and if that one is good then I will put the new one in storage till I do need it. guess I have a spare part now... Live and learn :-)

I have an order in with bakes for a bunch of stuff:

Some of which,

Rotor

Rotor cap

spark plugs

spark plug wires

the two fuel filters

spark/flame arrestor

So once these parts are in... hopefully I can get some combustion ^.^

Would have been a good idea to buy a site membership before placing that order. Members get a pretty decent discount on non sale stuff at Bakes.

Edited by oldjeep

Does anyone know the size platform that I need? Anyone have a 1999 or 2000 malibu response that they could measure the platform on so I can get the appropriate one... I am not exactly sure of the width and the curve that this boat is suppose to have. I just need the width at the center of the curve, the width at the edge and the length of the platform. any assistance you could offer would be great.

http://greatlakesskipper.com/oem-parts-and-accessories/malibu-boat-parts/swim-platforms

barefootpaul, that would be fantastic, I always like to have another source of confirmation especially before I make such an expensive order 0.o

So my buddy came over this evening to look at the engine after he went out on his jet ski :) We had to hot wire the fuel pump due to some faulty connections which are in the below image set for today. I need to figure out what they are called and get them ordered. they are all corroded and are nasty, water even poured out of them when we opened them up :-/

Replacment maybe?: http://www.amazon.com/Omron-G8W-1C6T-R-DC12-Automotive-Relay-Socket/dp/B00B1IK15E

We do not think that we are getting a high enough fuel pressure due to the fact that we are not getting gas back in the return line to the tank, and with not enough pressure the fuel injectors are not doing what they are suppose to. We replaced the solenoid so far to get the starter to work and then the coil to get spark. We heard the engine fire off a few times but nothing even close to a running state.

Hopefully he will be returning tomorrow with a pressure gauge to check the fuel pressure and a light, I forget exactly what he said that would be used for. But I guess it will let us narrow down the issue. I am really excited to see this taking shape, he and his father are so incredibly helpful. :-)

barefootpaul, I reached out to great lakes, and they have no idea what size platform I need. So if anyone has a 1999 Malibu Response platform they could get some measurements on I would be extremely grateful!

Thanks!

barefootpaul, I reached out to great lakes, and they have no idea what size platform I need. So if anyone has a 1999 Malibu Response platform they could get some measurements on I would be extremely grateful!

Thanks!

post-8942-0-88034100-1395682123_thumb.jp
post-8942-0-86214200-1421783139_thumb.jp

FYI, this platform came off of a '05 Vride and fits the Echelon perfectly. Once you get the dimensions for your Response, you may find that there are a ton of platforms from different years/models that will fit it.

Edited by Michigan boarder

Does anyone know the size platform that I need? Anyone have a 1999 or 2000 malibu response that they could measure the platform on so I can get the appropriate one... I am not exactly sure of the width and the curve that this boat is suppose to have. I just need the width at the center of the curve, the width at the edge and the length of the platform. any assistance you could offer would be great.

http://greatlakesskipper.com/oem-parts-and-accessories/malibu-boat-parts/swim-platforms

Have whomever measures it put a straight edge along the transom side of the platform. Then measure how far in the radius goes at the center of the platform, so you will have a good idea about the contour of the hull. You could put a straight edge on your transom and do the opposite, then match it up with the right contour. You would need to know the length though, so that you are working from the same points. I think mine was 2.5 inches in.

Thanks!

Sorry... I put a reminder in my phone. Hopefully I will have it for you tomorrow.