Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Possible Project Boat

lundbladc

The large stock cutout is the ski locker. And that hole that someone cut in the bottom of the ski locker does look like where the tracking fins would bolt on.

And I guess that picture also answers the question - is there foam and is it waterlogged.

Edited by oldjeep

Might also be one place to be looking for your leak. If someone dug in to get at those then maybe the tracking fins were previously knocked off/fell off and they didn't reseal properly when they put them back on.

Edited by oldjeep

Hmm, it appeared to be a cooler sort of thing to me, the size of it is only 2' by 1' by 8" or so.

The hole was probably cut in to see is the leak was coming from the area where the fins were. At least now I can look there when I float it, so kind of them to have an access hole for me to look into :)

I will get a photo of the hole that has been cut into the inner hull next time I head over to the garage. it needs to dry out a bit.

Question:

What is the purpose of the box at the rear of the boat that the driveshaft goes into, the one with a TON of screws? I have been told that it is a grease box. come to think about it, I may not have taken a photo of it, I will have to do that. I was recently informed that is where they think the leak is coming from.

Hmm, it appeared to be a cooler sort of thing to me, the size of it is only 2' by 1' by 8" or so.

The hole was probably cut in to see is the leak was coming from the area where the fins were. At least now I can look there when I float it, so kind of them to have an access hole for me to look into :)

I will get a photo of the hole that has been cut into the inner hull next time I head over to the garage. it needs to dry out a bit.

Question:

What is the purpose of the box at the rear of the boat that the driveshaft goes into, the one with a TON of screws? I have been told that it is a grease box. come to think about it, I may not have taken a photo of it, I will have to do that. I was recently informed that is where they think the leak is coming from.

Could be a cooler in an LX, in a response LXI there is a ski locker there for skis that you really hate.

The thing at the rear of the boat with the driveshaft is the HDS box

Here are some good pics of what it looks like inside and the common fix

http://www.everglass.org/shaftlog.htm

Edited by oldjeep

It seems like the foam is most likely waterlogged,. I also think that a water leak test may give you an idea of the volume but not necessarily the source.

You may have to remove the floor then take out the waterlogged foam, then do a water test for leakages so you can see where it's coming in from the hull. This might be extreme so I'd wait for others to comment.

This is a really cool project. It's good to see your passion for bringing this one back from the brink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cooler or esky in front of the ski pole between driver and passengers seat (useless as my bung is missing oily water from the bilge melts the ice an makes my drinks taste like oil)

Got a copy of the receipt from the marina. figured you'll would be interested! we shall see how it goes.

https://imgur.com/a/9Ilt0#74

The receipt is from a year and a half ago - what did the previous owner do after that?

Did the tank ever get removed, drained?

Engine been run since then?

Never seen anyone replace 1 plug - that is a little weird when you are throwing a thousand bucks at it

At a minimum, it sounds like it would at least run with no load in dec 2013 - so unless they sunk it again after that it is a positive sign.

ya, I trust them, It was never used / put in the water since then. They just cleaned it and stored it.

I will replace the plugs before I fire it up. so weird that they only replaced one :-/, i did not notice. That was probably all that was necessary to get it to idle lol

I think I found another resourse for OEM parts. http://greatlakesskipper.com/ anyone use them? At least it looks like I could get a swim platform here. :-)

Not sure what they're charging for them but it appears there's a bunch available on Ebay right now, pretty high though, I sold mine for like $300 and it was in pretty good shape.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MALIBU-66-1-2-INCH-OEM-SOLID-TEAK-MARINE-SKI-BOAT-SWIM-PLATFORM-W-HATCH-LATCH-/400507045851?hash=item5d401487db&vxp=mtr

Not sure what they're charging for them but it appears there's a bunch available on Ebay right now, pretty high though, I sold mine for like $300 and it was in pretty good shape.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MALIBU-66-1-2-INCH-OEM-SOLID-TEAK-MARINE-SKI-BOAT-SWIM-PLATFORM-W-HATCH-LATCH-/400507045851?hash=item5d401487db&vxp=mtr

Which is a GLS auction ;)

GLS is a great place to get older factory stuff, seems to be where the mfgs sell their overstock. I got a set of factory decals for my last boat from them after my wife wiped them off on a dock one day.

Wow, just read through this whole thread. Was really pessimistic at the beginning, but by the last post the OP made, it appears as though it might not be as bad as originally thought. The leak, if coming from the HDS, is a pretty easy fix, and the engine appears to be not in bad shape either. I think with $12K into this boat, you'll have a great boat in the end and a huge sense of accomplishment that it was all done by you (at least whatever you don't pay someone to do for you!).

The electrical would be the only thing that would have me worried, but being an older boat, there shouldn't be a whole lot to it, as long as the computer for the ECU for the engine is working, which it appears it is if the shop had it running.

Good luck and looking forward to following this build.

Also, keep us updated as to how much cash you are throwing at it so we can estimate how wrong everyone was when they said a turd couldn't be polished for a reasonable price.

New photo updates!
http://imgur.com/a/p4dLE

Anyone know how these starters work? I could really use some guidance. We just crossed the positive to the negative with a large screwdriver to test that the starter would actually spin, but for both starters it did not seem to throw the gear towards the flywheel any thoughts I was told that this is done simply via centrifugal motion.

Total into it: About $3500 at this point.

• Like 1

Wow, looks like this thing will be taking shape in no time. Keep on cleaning as you go and before you know it, most of it will be done and you will know every inch of your boat. I restored a few old burnt out old school stand up jet skis into some wave monsters and although smaller, they had tons of little parts. I made a list of what needed to be replaced, and what needed to be refinished as I went to help me as well as what OEM parts to toss and upgrade. I'm excited for you and hope the leaks you find are something simple to fix.

Are you not planning to take the floor out and give the bilge a good cleaning? I would think you've gone this far with the disassembly, so why not pull the floor out and give it the good cleaning it needs? Your snake will no longer look like an oil dipstick when fishing wires!

• Like 1

So far I have verified that it does not leak much if at all after temporally patching the shaft seal. Next step is to get the engine working, then once it works and moves on the water I will pull the engine and mufflers out, give the entire interior a good power washing and scrubbing with some degreaser not only to clean the bilge but also to see how the carpet cleans up. I will then go from there with things. But it is not worth my time at the moment to clean things super well yet. more pics coming soon. I got to order some parts.

Replaced the starter and now the engine will at least turn, next step is getting spark.

So far I have verified that it does not leak much if at all after temporally patching the shaft seal. Next step is to get the engine working, then once it works and moves on the water I will pull the engine and mufflers out, give the entire interior a good power washing and scrubbing with some degreaser not only to clean the bilge but also to see how the carpet cleans up. I will then go from there with things. But it is not worth my time at the moment to clean things super well yet. more pics coming soon. I got to order some parts.

Replaced the starter and now the engine will at least turn, next step is getting spark.

Great approach, I'd do the same. That is great news on the hull/leak issues.

Any thoughts for how to remove the super nasty scum on the bottom of the hull? My buddy offered to do it for a crazy low price and well, Clearly I need to take him up on that offer! He just wants the boat do run so he can go skiing :P

Any thoughts for how to remove the super nasty scum on the bottom of the hull? My buddy offered to do it for a crazy low price and well, Clearly I need to take him up on that offer! He just wants the boat do run so he can go skiing :P

Let it sit in the water for a couple hours first and then see how much of it comes off with a blue scrubby sponge and a pressure washer - just make sure not to go crazy and use a red tip or something that is going to blow through the gel coat. After that I'd try some of the various hull cleaners

http://www.starbrite.com/item/ez-on-ez-off-hull-bottom-cleaner?category_id=566