Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

You Haven't Popped You Cherry Until....

Ok, so my last boat (Supra) I was able to get mine out a handful of times with the bump and pry technique. When I couldn't get it out I implored the technique called "screw it until next year".

I finally decided to buy a puller as I knew I had pushed my luck far enough and I bought this impeller puller

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-Stainless-Impeller-Puller/dp/B002FVRHJE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428958541&sr=8-1&keywords=Sea+Dog+Stainless+Large+Impeller+Puller+-+660020-1

It's the larger one in the picture.....and it turned out to be too big, I couldnt get the thing to fit in at all and gave up an implored my latest technique called "screw it, sell the boat and tell the buyer the impeller needs changing"

For those that have a successful impeller puller, what size is it? Do you have a link to where you bought it? I am going to buy one as I've already tempted the impeller gods far too long.

PS. I thought I've heard of it all, but what is the "zip tie technique"? Havent heard that before.

edited: for proper link

Edited by klewislx

Ok, so my last boat (Supra) I was able to get mine out a handful of times with the bump and pry technique. When I couldn't get it out I implored the technique called "screw it until next year".

I finally decided to buy a puller as I knew I had pushed my luck far enough and I bought this impeller puller

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-Stainless-Impeller-Puller/dp/B002FVRHJE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428958541&sr=8-1&keywords=Sea+Dog+Stainless+Large+Impeller+Puller+-+660020-1

It's the larger one in the picture.....and it turned out to be too big, I couldnt get the thing to fit in at all and gave up an implored my latest technique called "screw it, sell the boat and tell the buyer the impeller needs changing"

For those that have a successful impeller puller, what size is it? Do you have a link to where you bought it? I am going to buy one as I've already tempted the impeller gods far too long.

PS. I thought I've heard of it all, but what is the "zip tie technique"? Havent heard that before.

edited: for proper link

The Zip Tie Technique is when putting the impeller back in. First I spray the impeller with WD 40 and also the housing. Then I tie a zip tie around the impeller...not to tight. I get all the blades going in one direction...the zip tie will allow the impeller to slide in as the Zip Tie comes out...hard to explain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Zip Tie Technique is when putting the impeller back in. First I spray the impeller with WD 40 and also the housing. Then I tie a zip tie around the impeller...not to tight. I get all the blades going in one direction...the zip tie will allow the impeller to slide in as the Zip Tie comes out...hard to explain

Never heard of that. They go in easy, just figure out which way it spins, coat the impeller in the supplied glycerin packet - if it didn't come with one then use Vaseline. Then just give it a little twist as you shove it in until it gets to the splines - finish pushing it in.

DSC00387.jpgUsed these for years. Now own a proper puller. l'll give them to you Afun if I see you at the Norris gathering in July.DSC00388-1.jpg

HaHa...PM Me the Norris plans....I like to party

Never heard of that. They go in easy, just figure out which way it spins, coat the impeller in the supplied glycerin packet - if it didn't come with one then use Vaseline. Then just give it a little twist as you shove it in until it gets to the splines - finish pushing it in.

You just want to go against me today....but you have cool every other day until today

On the impeller, I found ours will work itself out if we spray the bejeezus out of it with WD40, then unbolt the mounting bracket and just twist the whole housing back and forth a bunch of times. The housing spins freely but the impeller is held by the shaft. After a few dozen twists, the thing is usually halfway out and can be grabbed and yanked the rest of the way.

YMMV but it's worked for me on a tough impeller I couldn't get with vise grips, screw drivers, etc.

It really doesn't even matter to find out what direction it spins...aren't the blades going to conform to the direction it spins on its own?

It really doesn't even matter to find out what direction it spins...aren't the blades going to conform to the direction it spins on its own?

It should, but it is better to put it in right in the first place. Especially if you used something like WD-40 which mostly evaporates rather than glycerin or Vaseline. How long after installing that impeller are you planning on starting the boat?

Edited by oldjeep

its much better to use KY jelly (sex lube) than Vaseline, (to install if nothing came with the impeller), its water soluble and doesn't hurt rubber

Edited by iliketoski

It should, but it is better to put it in right in the first place. Especially if you used something like WD-40 which mostly evaporates rather than glycerin or Vaseline. How long after installing that impeller are you planning on starting the boat?

does anyone install an impeller and not test it right away?

does anyone install an impeller and not test it right away?

Sure - I do my maint when it is cold. Boat doesn't go into the water for at least 3-4 weeks after that.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2

If you use Vaseline, make sure you get it in the water fairly soon. The petroleum in Vaseline can dry the rubber and shorten the life.

Never heard that before, but I use the glycerine packet that comes with the impeller

Sure - I do my maint when it is cold. Boat doesn't go into the water for at least 3-4 weeks after that.

Maybe it's a desert-dweller thing. I don't want to haul the boat an hour plus to the lake only to find out that I've got a leaky gasket or something. I always test on the hose first.

Maybe it's a desert-dweller thing. I don't want to haul the boat an hour plus to the lake only to find out that I've got a leaky gasket or something. I always test on the hose first.

I live in MN, there is a lake within 2 minutes in every direction. First test of the year for me is to fire it up on the trailer at the launch (nobody ever there early season) and check for leaks, etc. before taking it out for a spin.

DSC00387.jpgUsed these for years. Now own a proper puller. l'll give them to you Afun if I see you at the Norris gathering in July.DSC00388-1.jpg

Just had my mind blown.....so simple, yet genius!

If you have a proper puller now, can you post up a pic so I can see the size of it for my future purchase? Thanks!

Scrolling thru the "new content" and I find a thread about a cherry, started by Afun, with input from ibelonginprison.

Needless to say I'm a little disappointed....

Sorry to disappoint... I only try to get banned on Friday's though.....

• Like 2

Sorry to disappoint... I only try to get banned on Friday's though.....

I am glad someone is taking away spotlight away Edited by Afun