Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

You Haven't Popped You Cherry Until....

You do the enjoyable little taks of REMOVING AND REPLACING THE IMPELLAR....

For Christmas All I want is an impellar puller.

Really, how did Indmar decide to put the housing back there? Was it a Friday afternoon engineering design...my goodness...I left blood in my locker

The Zip Tie trick replacing the impellar worked.

Be thankful you don't have a 410 engine, even worse access than 350. Once you do it a couple times it's pretty simple. I use a pair of needle nose vice grips and it pulls that impeller right out. Soaking in wd40 for a few minutes prior also helps. Another tip mark the plate and housing with a dab of paint to make it easy to align once it's off and cover plate needs to be put back on.

• Like 3

This year was the worst for getting mine out. Pulled half the fins off and chewed up half the metal. Could have chewed nails and spit BB's. However I sprayed it down with WD-40(mine is easily accessible btw) and went and changed plugs and it slid right out with very little effort

I did the WD40 and the needle nose vice grips....but the impeller puller would be awesome. It was a pain in the arse!

Yeah, had no idea which way the housing plate went on, lo freakin l !

• Like 1

Did most of my maintenance including the impeller today too. First time for me on a v-drive, arms scratched up, had to get a rag to wipe the blood of my wrist after tearing it up on a hoseclamp. Missed the DD at that point.

• Like 2

This is one thing I'm really going to miss about my MB/PCM motor!

Dude, I will say I am not doing it again without the actual puller. I will also say say we are replacing the things way too soon.

If you want to see a PIA impeller change, come try replacing my on my A22 with LS3 and saltwater closed cooling. I have the heat exchanger right above the muffler. It can only be reached from the sides and is a two person job.

Dude, I will say I am not doing it again without the actual puller. I will also say say we are replacing the things way too soon.

Agreed, I did it one time just to say I did it, pulled part of one fin off in the process but otherwise the impeller was in perfect shape. I've logged over 500 hrs of boating and have yet to need a new impeller.

My buddies Supreme with a mercruiser, he says the belt has to come off and the whole pump assembly removed to change his impeller :crazy:

Agreed, I did it one time just to say I did it, pulled part of one fin off in the process but otherwise the impeller was in perfect shape. I've logged over 500 hrs of boating and have yet to need a new impeller.

My buddies Supreme with a mercruiser, he says the belt has to come off and the whole pump assembly removed to change his impeller :crazy:

Nothing sucks more than changing it on the water with a boat full of people, it's in the mid 90s, and the water isn't calm. When that happens the engine is going to be hot too and trying to get all the pieces of the old impeller out isn't fun. That's why I change it every year needed or not.

Nothing sucks more than changing it on the water with a boat full of people, it's in the mid 90s, and the water isn't calm. When that happens the engine is going to be hot too and trying to get all the pieces of the old impeller out isn't fun. That's why I change it every year needed or not.

At that point I'm getting towed while I drink a Son of a Peach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the beer all gone? I'm sure it's tough, but if that only happens once every 7 years then I'm about $300 richer with less scars.

A $50 tool is not easy to buy but you will have it for a life time of boating.

Still you will likely see blood somewhere when working on a v-drive. I always break out the gloves but don't use them because I can't get a feel of the screw I"m about to drop and never find...

I just find something to cut myself on before I start.
Usually a blood sacrifice at the beginning placates the gods of mechanical things.

Either that, or pour out a little bourbon in their name. That sometimes works too.

Just don't switch bourbon halfway through, cause they expect a drink sacrifice of the new stuff as well, and that's just wasteful.

Scrolling thru the "new content" and I find a thread about a cherry, started by Afun, with input from ibelonginprison.

Needless to say I'm a little disappointed....

I did it for years without a puller. Sometimes it was easy, sometimes not so much. I look at like this, you can take a nut off a bolt with pliers, vice grips or a correct size wrench. You can pull a stubborn impeller with paint can openers, screw drivers, needle nose pliers, vice grips or you can use a impeller puller without WD-40, bumping the starter etc. I change mine every two seasons or ~ 75-100 hours. Use anti seize on the pump shaft for the new impeller. YMMV, I'm a tool guy.