Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Covers "Seal Skin Covers" anyone have one? Opinions?

lf133

Hi All

I am in need of a new cover to put on my boat as it sits in the slip all summer. i.e. a sun and dust cover. In the past I was able to pick up one of the West Land sharkskin covers from iboats and it held up the 4 or 5 years until the thread rotted out and it fell apart. I got my $ worth as I had found it on the odd lott sale they have sometimes. I also have a nice cover that I use while it is in storage or not in the water, so I am looking for something to replace the cover while it is on the water, I don't need another super high quality trailering cover as I have one.

So while searching for a cover I came across the following cover from Seal Skin Covers, It seems like a decent price but not knowing anything about them or the material I was looking to see if anyone has experience with them. They have a 600 and 1200 version I am assuming it is a weight of fabric difference. Any opinions, or looking to know if it is similar to the shark skin cover I had, or I should spend the few extra $ to get another shark skin cover as I know what that is. All these names for fabric what is the difference?

Thanks for any help.

Seal Skin™ 600 Boat Cover

Fits: 2000 Malibu Escape 23 With Swim Platform, With ECI Tower, With V-Drive

Seal Skin™ 600 boat covers are built from strong 600 denier polyester that won't shrink or stretch. This popular cover offers a great fit and excellent resistance against the elements.The breathable fabric resists interior heat build-up...

I had a shark skin cover for many years and it worked very well. The big problem with those covers is that they trap water in them, so they rot out quickly. The easy cheap solution is a cover vent like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121063120752?lpid=82&chn=ps

I have these vents on my ski boat and pontoon. Keeps water out and keeps the inside dry as a bone.

To answer your questions though, I have no experience with the Seal Skin cover. I suspect its just another fancy name for shark skin. Either way, get yourself some of those vents!

My .02 - if seal skin is anything like sharkskin then steer clear of the bright blue color. I had a Sharkskin Plus cover for my last boat and overall it was a good cover except that it liked to transfer some of that blue color to my white seats if it was rubbing at all. Came off with a little cleaner, but I'd steer towards a light grey or something without much dye in it.

Just ordered one of these, if people are still interested ill post up some pics when it arrives and I fit it on the boat.

Here are my thoughts for those of you looking into these.

Well I went ahead and purchased one of their 600 versions. I searched my boat with tower and cover swim step. Was able to use a 10% discount I found and it was delivered in 2 day, what can I say.

1. Their online chat is something to be desired as they could only answer some of my questions and tried to tell me that the cover I needed would not have tower holes etc.

2. When I called in they were a little more helpful but not a lot. i.e. generic answers or that should work etc.

3. It is similar material to the sharkskin cover I had previously although this cover is softer or less of a plastic feel (I feel like it will snag on items easier.) but might breath better.

4. The stitching seems to be the same so it will prob hold the same.

5. The area of the tower is more generic i.e. a long Velcro section that could fit almost any range of tower, and prob. harder to put on while on the water then the last one that had custom holes that would only fit my tower.

6. Although I custom selected my boat this is more of a generic fit with huge generic tower holes to catch any tower. (Will it fit over my swim step prob. but I am not sure.)

7. Nothing is reinforced but I don't believe it was on the other one either.

I could have purchased the same shark skin cover I had before that fit perfect and lasted years. But I took a chance and spent $250 vs. $370, and time will tell if I made a good choice. I Figure if I get 3 out of the 5 years they say it will last I will be happy.

Again I have a nice cover so this is only going to be a sun and dust cover while it sits on the water so I think it will work for me.

If my wife could sew I would have went with a $100 cover and had her sew in the holes and would be just as happy, but was quoted from the local shop $230 to add tower holes so this was less than the $330 total to purchase one and have it modified.

Will I do it again, after first opinon prob not, I may try to learn how to sew. But who knows again time will tell. I think it will be harder to put on with all that velcro

I hope this helps someone out.

Edited by lf133
  • 9 months later...

Here are my thoughts for those of you looking into these.

Well I went ahead and purchased one of their 600 versions. I searched my boat with tower and cover swim step. Was able to use a 10% discount I found and it was delivered in 2 day, what can I say.

1. Their online chat is something to be desired as they could only answer some of my questions and tried to tell me that the cover I needed would not have tower holes etc.

2. When I called in they were a little more helpful but not a lot. i.e. generic answers or that should work etc.

3. It is similar material to the sharkskin cover I had previously although this cover is softer or less of a plastic feel (I feel like it will snag on items easier.) but might breath better.

4. The stitching seems to be the same so it will prob hold the same.

5. The area of the tower is more generic i.e. a long Velcro section that could fit almost any range of tower, and prob. harder to put on while on the water then the last one that had custom holes that would only fit my tower.

6. Although I custom selected my boat this is more of a generic fit with huge generic tower holes to catch any tower. (Will it fit over my swim step prob. but I am not sure.)

7. Nothing is reinforced but I don't believe it was on the other one either.

I could have purchased the same shark skin cover I had before that fit perfect and lasted years. But I took a chance and spent $250 vs. $370, and time will tell if I made a good choice. I Figure if I get 3 out of the 5 years they say it will last I will be happy.

Again I have a nice cover so this is only going to be a sun and dust cover while it sits on the water so I think it will work for me.

If my wife could sew I would have went with a $100 cover and had her sew in the holes and would be just as happy, but was quoted from the local shop $230 to add tower holes so this was less than the $330 total to purchase one and have it modified.

Will I do it again, after first opinon prob not, I may try to learn how to sew. But who knows again time will tell. I think it will be harder to put on with all that velcro

I hope this helps someone out.

So how did this hold up over the summer? Any pictures of fitment? Would love feedback before I purchase one of these.

I had a shark skin cover for many years and it worked very well. The big problem with those covers is that they trap water in them, so they rot out quickly. The easy cheap solution is a cover vent like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121063120752?lpid=82&chn=ps

I have these vents on my ski boat and pontoon. Keeps water out and keeps the inside dry as a bone.

To answer your questions though, I have no experience with the Seal Skin cover. I suspect its just another fancy name for shark skin. Either way, get yourself some of those vents!

It's hard to see on the pics, but it looks like I can just cut a hole and install these myself, right? My current cover has 3 poles in it.