Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

EXILE Bluetooth has arrived!

bcf2003

Martin -

The issue your experiencing has to do with the power supply your BT device and how you have it connected to your stereo. The EXBT4 has a BT4.0 compliant power supply which is fancy words for low noise / lower power consumption. So, yes it should help your situation. The device consumes ~30mA of current at full output. This is very low and low noise. Although not a guarantee to eliminate potential noise or ground loops in a given boat stereo, your at least a leg up to start. Furthering this thought - I recommend users connect power and ground directly to the EQ and not another place at the helm (for example). This will eliminate potential for ground loops.
-Brian

Brain,

Just installed Exile BT into my zld. Love that I can use my phone cradle now in the 15 lsv. I personally think apples to apples that the exile BT is clearer, and louder then direct hook up via AUX cable to ZLD. Could my ears be wrong, Also How much are us iPhone users missing out with out the APTX codecs not being provided on IOS?

Mitch - Your ears are not wrong. One of the cooler aspects of the Exile BT unit is that its 2.2V RMS output. So in reality your comparing the 800mv signal from your iPhone to the 2.2V of your Exile Bt unit. The Difference is pretty night and day. I’ve been receiving a lot of emails asking about the range on this unit. In the testing we did last week, I was playing my iPhone at 130ft back and still could sync reliably. Beyond that range it would drop out.

As for your question about iPhone users: Yes they are loosing out on the APTX codecs not provided in iOS, but I believe it won’t be for to long. Apple has become increasingly focused on the audio game in the last year. It started with the purchase of Beats, and there is a lot of talk about increasing bit content of iTunes downloads — even lossless downloads. I think Android beat them to the punch with their announcement of APTX compression support.

Long story short, there is significant gains going from BT3.0>4.0 and adding the aptx ability. The real beauty is that the Exile device is its not built into anything so you don’t date your head unit eq or whatever. Many of you know I have been pretty Anti bluetooth anything in the past… devices either don’t sync right (raise your hand if you have had that problem), or it sounds like crap (everyone raise their hand). That doesn’t need to be the case anymore with BT4.0+AptX - thank god!

-Brian

Edited by Brianinpdx
  • Like 2

Does this device allow me to ditch my HU? Gawd I hate that thing and want it out of my boat.

Shoot! Only thing they have round here is the Dollar General. I was hoping to scoop one up there when I scooter up to grab some Pall Mall non-filters....

• Like 2

this thread kind of died. More info on the new exile piece? I either need to add BT to my system or upgrade head units. I'd rather just get rid of the HU all together.

KS - what info are you looking for? I'm happy to help. There is a lot of info in this thread on the unit, but if you have specific questions, I'm happy to help. Let me know. -Brian

• Like 1

So I really want to go Bluetooth for streaming my music. I currently have a ZLD and have been using our iPhones to the 3.5mm headphone jack. My question is, can someone explain this "APTX codecs". I understand that Apple products do not offer this yet. Does this mean my iPhone 6 will not work with the EXBT4 device? Will the quality of sound not be very good? Finally, should I just keep with the 3.5mm plug for my music, until apple steps up to APTX codecs? Thanks for all the info.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @Brian - I currently have a kenwood HU (somewhat new) but I have to plug my iphone into it to stream music. Will this new exile piece allow me to BT in rather than have my phone stuck up in the console all the time?

My ultimate goal would be to ditch the HU one of these days and simply BT music straight to either a ZLD or my amp. Thoughts?

My system is pretty simple, 4 RF 6.5s powered by a RF 400x4 but this summer I'll be adding a second mono amp to power a sub or replace the amp with a 5 channel to power the 4 + 1 sub.

So I really want to go Bluetooth for streaming my music. I currently have a ZLD and have been using our iPhones to the 3.5mm headphone jack. My question is, can someone explain this "APTX codecs". I understand that Apple products do not offer this yet. Does this mean my iPhone 6 will not work with the EXBT4 device? Will the quality of sound not be very good? Finally, should I just keep with the 3.5mm plug for my music, until apple steps up to APTX codecs? Thanks for all the info.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can still use the Exile adaptor and it will work just fine with your current Apple products. I have tested these and the sound quality is excellent ......even without APTX. I have a hard time differentiating between the BT adaptor and a hard wired 3.5mm cable out in the boat.

APTX is supposed to offer higher sound quality from Bluetooth sources, that's really it. It's similar to what Bose or Dolby provides to the "stereo" scene. It's a mode of processing sound or DSP for bluetooth devices.

You can still use the Exile adaptor and it will work just fine with your current Apple products. I have tested these and the sound quality is excellent ......even without APTX. I have a hard time differentiating between the BT adaptor and a hard wired 3.5mm cable out in the boat.

APTX is supposed to offer higher sound quality from Bluetooth sources, that's really it. It's similar to what Bose or Dolby provides to the "stereo" scene. It's a mode of processing sound or DSP for bluetooth devices.

Brought one of the wetsounds BT adaptors mainly for the conveinence as it has provision to adjust the volume & skip tracks while leaving the phone in the glove box.

Good if you know your play list well.

Worked OK, had a little hiss at high volumes & the range was OK, degraded quickly with obstructions & past the extremities of the boat.

Ordered one of these Exile BT adaptors mainly due to higher output which should reduce the degradation of the signal, should arrive next week in the mail down under.

Being the current Bluetooth 4.0 standard, it will draw less power in BT mode from your phone as well.

With regard to the APTX question, the extract below from the Q&A section best explains this.

It is all to do with compression of the source degrading the sound quality.

"Q: In the past I've been told by many people (including Exile staff) that Bluetooth receivers lose dynamic range and will degrade my stereo sound. What has changed? Why is this one better?

A: So true! Up until the introduction of AptX® codecs, the sound quality / audio compression has been greatly impacted on high end stereo systems. The EXBT4 supports aptX, SBC, MP3, AAC and is automaticly determined by input source. The improvement is significant. For Maximum HD sound you need to use a source and reciever that is aptX certified / enabled. These devices will bear the AptX® logo and provide up to 384 kbit/s audio streaming. The EXBT4 is AptX® enabled."

More can be found at the Exile site when you scroll down.

http://exileaudio.com/store/index.php/amplifiers/signal-processing/exile-premium-bluetooth-music-receiver.html

All I was stating is that Apple devices currently to not support APTX format, but the Exile BT module has pretty decent sound quality with an Apple device sans APTX and it will work just fine without your device being an APTX codec transmitting device .

I just got done using the exile BT unit all weekend. It really sounds great. mine goes into an HSE Revolution volume controller, so it's very easy to do an A/B test between the black box and the bluetooth unit back to back. You can't even tell the difference. Solid unit does just what it's supposed to. Good range throughout the boat too, which is what other units I've used have struggled with in the past (sound great from 5' away, but start to break up intermittently from farther than that).

For me the true test is whether my wife has something to complain about or notices an issue with a component. Believe me, that's happened over the years. This little bit did just what it's supposed to, and she doesn't even know it's there. It just works.

Highly recommend this piece for folks looking to add BT to their system.

Exile vs Wet sounds blue tooth?

Does the wetsounds have the new aptx codecs? Liking the price of the exile, but liking the ability to control tracks if someone else is on the BT and I want to skip. Also sounds easier to disconnect from the Wet sounds BT since it has a pair button. The exile you would have to unpair from the phone to pair to a different one.

Does the wetsounds have the new aptx codecs? Liking the price of the exile, but liking the ability to control tracks if someone else is on the BT and I want to skip. Also sounds easier to disconnect from the Wet sounds BT since it has a pair button. The exile you would have to unpair from the phone to pair to a different one.

Any thoughts on this?

Robert - Two different animals really. As mentioned in this thread, the Exile unit is a BT4.0 LE design and It uses 30% less hand set power than 3.0 devices. It's really simple to use and has tremendous output voltage (2.2Vrms). I don't know where the link is, but there is a good video floating around the inter webs on it's range because it works 100ft+ distance.

Pairing wise, the Exile piece is auto pair. No code needed. it's very straight forward to get on it and off it. You'd use your handset (iPhone or whatever) to move track up or down. The exile unit doesn't provide for the AVRCP profile.... this is not the function desired for it. We wanted a install and forget device.

So i guess the real question is more about what are you looking for in a BT module? And less about EX vers WS. You might PM SawnDoggy for in-depth info. He's used both pieces. I think there are plenty guys on here that might have some input for you.

-Brian

The updated BTVC will be coming out with the aptx and 4.0 and a 1.21 gigawatts line driver :rofl:

When the new one is ready to be released, the website will be updated to reflect the changes. Just note, it takes 2 to tango, so unless both devises have the same level. You wont likely notice a difference. Some people put all the magic in their BT, but after using numerous BTs across a many different devices, the transmitter does play a significant role.

The updated BTVC will be coming out with the aptx and 4.0 and a 1.21 gigawatts line driver :rofl:

When the new one is ready to be released, the website will be updated to reflect the changes. Just note, it takes 2 to tango, so unless both devises have the same level. You wont likely notice a difference. Some people put all the magic in their BT, but after using numerous BTs across a many different devices, the transmitter does play a significant role.

What language are you speaking? Honestly, I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

• Like 1