Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2315 alternative -- OJ 945 -- anyone tried?

shawndoggy

So my main prop is a 2315 (15x12 0.105 cup). And my spare prop is a 2315. Which seems like a bit of a waste, especially considering that when California has water we frequently drop down to lower altitudes and it might be nice to have a somewhat taller prop. Of course sticking with Acme, there really aren't many choices. the 2313 will only drop RPMs by a few hundred at WOT, and the 2249 is probably taller than most boats can swing.

So OJ now has a 15x13 (0.090 cup) prop, the 945. Anyone tried it yet?

• Like 3

I was offered it by OJ Props a couple of weeks ago for testing. I told Eric that I wouldn't mind testing it a little later once I actually get my boat out for the summer. He mentioned he has been testing the prop with the Malibu engineers right down the road and claimed it has been outperforming the 2315 in their test. I didn't get any additional details about it.

1615 is only 14.5". In testing back to back last season between the 2315 and 2079 (exact same specs as 2315, but 14.5 instead of 15), the 2315 outperformed the 2079 significantly. I'd prefer not to go "backwards" with a 14.5" prop.

My main prop is a 2315. My spare prop is a 2315. This is after everyone raved about the 2315 and said that everyone should get it right meow. Now I have buy more stuff?

1615 is only 14.5". In testing back to back last season between the 2315 and 2079 (exact same specs as 2315, but 14.5 instead of 15), the 2315 outperformed the 2079 significantly. I'd prefer not to go "backwards" with a 14.5" prop.

Can you explain the differences you saw between the 2079 and 2315?

Shawn, I have a 1513 (949 part #) coming this week from Eric at OJ. We will be out three days next week to give it a test run, Bullard's is on the list for a day trip (pending weather is good). Eric has been really cool about letting me give it a workout before purchase. I will report back and let you know how it goes.

I am hoping it is a little less aggressive than the 2313 from ACME. He said its a great in in-between prop from 1235 and 2315.

Edited by Fman

Can you explain the differences you saw between the 2079 and 2315?

more RPMs out of the hole, but less go. Sorta like a rear wheel drive car on snow vs dry pavement. I was surprised that 1/2" made such a difference but it was there for sure.

I spoke with Eric this morning and he is pretty confident in this prop. I grew up running OJ props and they were great.

I think I might order one and give it a try! Eric at OJ said he would take it back if we were not happy.

Doubt that will be the case.

I might be ending up with the new OJ 945 and will let you know what the difference is between the 475, 468 and 945 with my VLX.

If anyone in the area would like to try it for a week or two please feel free to drop me a PM.

• Like 1

I spoke with Eric this morning and he is pretty confident in this prop. I grew up running OJ props and they were great.

I think I might order one and give it a try! Eric at OJ said he would take it back if we were not happy.

Doubt that will be the case.

That's the great thing that I appreciate about Eric and OJ, if your not happy with the performance they will do just about anything to get it right.

Thanks for posting this over here SD! I posted this in the Modifications section and got crickets! Depending on what my tax guy tells me this week, I may order one soon! SD, our boats are powered identically, and can say that the 14.5" prop isn't enough(I know you have the 2315). Lots of cavitation on hard acceleration. I will be following this thread for sure!

Shawn, I have a 1513 (949 part #) coming this week from Eric at OJ. We will be out three days next week to give it a test run, Bullard's is on the list for a day trip (pending weather is good). Eric has been really cool about letting me give it a workout before purchase. I will report back and let you know how it goes.

I am hoping it is a little less aggressive than the 2313 from ACME. He said its a great in in-between prop from 1235 and 2315.

Are you finding that the 1235 is not cutting it?

Are you finding that the 1235 is not cutting it?

Actually the 1235 has been great at sea level. I'm looking for a Bullards and Shasta prop. to handle some elevation. I think the 2315 will be overkill, I thought about the 1615 but I would like to go 15" for this purpose. Eric said if I don't like it just send it back, figured why not.

I might be ending up with the new OJ 945 and will let you know what the difference is between the 475, 468 and 945 with my VLX.

If anyone in the area would like to try it for a week or two please feel free to drop me a PM.

What is the 945? specs?

had a chance to try the 945. id say the RPM's went up about 150 for both surfing and wakeboarding from the 1235 but out of the hole is a substantial difference. I didn't notice what my top speed was... I don't know what it is for a 1235 either. I have the PCM transmission with the different gear ratio. overall I am very happy with the prop and feel like if I wanted to add more weight I could easily do so.

i had 9 people in the boat, stock ballast + wedge + 2000 PNP - I didn't try wakeboarding with this many people.